Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age to move to own bed/cot ?

Options
  • 13-09-2009 6:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm trying to get a idea of what is the approx age a little one should be able to sleep on thier own. I'm sure at some stage it has to be done, maby it is a difficult transition?

My wife wants to keep our 2 year old in our bed. The problem is she is still breast feeding, and the baby takes some comfort during the night. She doesnt have a plan to stop the breast feeding as of yet.

While this has been a great arrangment up to now, as the baby doesnt disturb me too much !! , it is starting to become a little uncomfortable ,having the odd night sleep disturbed.

I know we might have some disagreements on the subject, anyone got any expericence with this or recommend any books to read?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

My daughter moved to her cot at 23 months, but she still gets in beside me most mornings abot 5am. She will be 3 in November.

They reach an age when they no longer want to share your bed, most likely when they start school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Very individual decision. As long as the toddler still breastfeeds at night, it is definitely easier to keep them int he bed with you, it will disturb all three of you less than a separate bed/ room. Once you decide to cut that out to only feed during the day/ mornings or evenings/ whatever, or the toddler self-weans, and you and your wife are comfortable with it, you could move the toddler to his/her own bed. I would forgo a crib/ cot at that age, as the toddler might climb out and get hurt.

Advertisement