Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 month old pup still up most nights

Options
  • 13-09-2009 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Please tell me this will end soon!! My pup goes to bed at 11pm after being let out the back for a few minutes beforehand. Anyhow from 3am onwards he scratches almost like he is trying to dig under the kitchen door and constant whinge/ pine. Ive had him since he was 9 weeks, this happens pretty much every night. I might get lucky once a week and it might not start until 7am but geez, its all getting a bit too much now..
    I usually let him at it sometimes i pass out again after listening to it for anything from 10 mins to an hour or more..
    Last night I went down and told him NO! and said BED turned and walked away.. within 5 minutes or so he was at it again.

Honestly feel like buying a kennel...:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If he's waking up at the same time each night he could need to go to the loo or he might be cold? Our little guy has this and he LOVES it the first night we put it in his crate with him he slept until 7:30 :D He's sleeping thru the night since he was 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Sounds like it's become more of a habit with him can sympathise nothing worse than desturbed sleep esp. when you expect it for a few weeks or even months but then they don't seem to grow out of it.

With our guy he's great now, it just happened over night that he started sleeping through, although he still wakes the odd night to go out for a pee.

Have you tried crate training that might help.

Putting a jumper or something belonging to you in his bed might help settle him. At 7 months he should be starting to hold it in esp. as he goes to bed so late but some dogs bladders take longer to mature.

When you let him outside does he go to the loo or just mess about and once you've let him out when he comes back inside does he settle down and sleep the rest of the night?

If you're sure he's not bursting for a pee and he's fine every other way it might be the case of having to try and ignore it and break the habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

This sounds daft but you could try putting a cuddly toy into his bed. With luck he'll snuggle into it and sleep through. Never had to try it myself as I got conned into taking the eldest dog into my room as a pup to stop her whining. Within a week she was under the duvet and I now have three dogs sharing my bed. DO NOT MAKE THIS MISTAKE. However, it worked well with a kitten my parents had. When mum said "bedtime" the kitten would grab the toy, climb on the chair and wrap the toy around herself. The trick is to take the toy away in the morning and only produce it again at bedtime.

Advertisement