Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mid life crisis bike

• 13-09-2009 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

hello there,
    i am 33 and have always liked bikes but never bought one for various reasons. I am now thinking of buying but have a few questions. I have a full car license. I am leaning towards a 500cc bike.
    1. how do i get a bike license, do i automatically get a provisional becasue i currently hold a full car license?
    2. If i have to pass a test ( do i? ), do i then put restrictors on the bike to limit the power ie. can i buy a 500cc straight off, and restrict it?
    3. do i have to wait 2 years until i can take the restrictors off? i have heard varying advice on this, all conflicting.
    If someone could tell me excatly what i have to do to get a 500cc bike on the road taking into account i am 33 with a full car license, i would really appreciate this advice.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

the car licence means nothin, ya have to do a theory test for the bike, then aplly for a learner permit
    ya have to have the permit 6 months before ya can do the full test
    ya can ride any cc bike but it has to be restricted to 33bhp, the restrictor has to stay on for 2 years after you get a full licence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

manus30 wrote: »
    i am 33...
    Mid life crisis @33???

Also, I'm not sure exactly what you mean when you pick the 500 figure, mainly because there are very few bikes that come in at that cc.

Also, those that do, don't quite fit in with what would generally be termed mid life crisis bikes.

So, either someone bite on that can of worms, or OP, post back perhaps with a few pictures of what kind of bike styles you like. There will be a CC suitable no matter the style so you have plenty of choice available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

1 No, you need to pass a A theory test and apply for an A learner permit.
    2 Yes, you can get any bike restricted.
    3 Yes, 2 years after you get your full licence.

Apply for A theory test should take less than a week
    When you pass it, apply for a A leaner permit.
    Get a bike + insurance start riding.
    I would recommend you get training, if you do an assessment it can reduce insurance.
    Apply for driving test.
    When at least 6 months are up do the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭manus30

nereid wrote: »
    Mid life crisis @33???

Also, I'm not sure exactly what you mean when you pick the 500 figure, mainly because there are very few bikes that come in at that cc.

Also, those that do, don't quite fit in with what would generally be termed mid life crisis bikes.

So, either someone bite on that can of worms, or OP, post back perhaps with a few pictures of what kind of bike styles you like. There will be a CC suitable no matter the style so you have plenty of choice available.
    thanks for your helpful and friendly advice there......
    ps a lot of people die in their late sixties, hlaf of 66 equals 33 so why are you confused with my post?
    pps i am looking for a bike approx 500cc

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    1 No, you need to pass a A theory test and apply for an A learner permit.
    2 Yes, you can get any bike restricted.
    3 Yes, 2 years after you get your full licence.

Apply for A theory test should take less than a week
    When you pass it, apply for a A leaner permit.
    Get a bike + insurance start riding.
    I would recommend you get training, if you do an assessment it can reduce insurance.
    Apply for driving test.
    When at least 6 months are up do the test.
    spot on, exactly the info i was looking for. thanks.

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    the car licence means nothin, ya have to do a theory test for the bike, then aplly for a learner permit
    ya have to have the permit 6 months before ya can do the full test
    ya can ride any cc bike but it has to be restricted to 33bhp, the restrictor has to stay on for 2 years after you get a full licence
    good stuff, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

You will also need to get the bike restricted on the learner permit. When you pass the full test then you are still limited to restriction for 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

midlife at 33. Jebus I'd wanna get cracking, I must be well on the way up the hill now at 26.

I know fella's who got inmsured on dragstar 650's when they where on provisional licenses. They didnt have restricters in them, probably should of, not sure.

Nice bike and loud as fook when ya mess about with the pipes on em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

the dragstar 650 is learner legal isnt it

guil wrote: »
    the dragstar 650 is learner legal isnt it
    Not 100% sure but I know 6 or 7 people who had them on a provisional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

hello there,
    i am 33 and have always liked bikes but never bought one for various reasons. I am now thinking of buying but have a few questions. I have a full car license. I am leaning towards a 500cc bike.
    1. how do i get a bike license, do i automatically get a provisional becasue i currently hold a full car license?
    2. If i have to pass a test ( do i? ), do i then put restrictors on the bike to limit the power ie. can i buy a 500cc straight off, and restrict it?
    3. do i have to wait 2 years until i can take the restrictors off? i have heard varying advice on this, all conflicting.
    If someone could tell me excatly what i have to do to get a 500cc bike on the road taking into account i am 33 with a full car license, i would really appreciate this advice.
    Thanks in advance

I think that you have the answers to your questions, but

as far as the bike is concerned - what style do you like?
    Cruiser? Race bike? Tourer? Street fighter?

Have you been shopping for bikes?
    Have you looked at bikes on the interweb?

P.C. wrote: »
    I think that you have the answers to your questions, but

as far as the bike is concerned - what style do you like?
    Cruiser? Race bike? Tourer? Street fighter?

Have you been shopping for bikes?
    Have you looked at bikes on the interweb?
    looking for a cruiser / tourer type of bike. not really into speed but like a bit of pull for safely overtaking. what do you think i should go for? i iquite like hondas pan european st1100 but its a bit big and expensive. the yamaha dragstar is nice too. looking to spend around 2k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Manus,

I suggest reading the FAQ section first. You are not the first person to come up with such questions, and you won't be the last.

Doing a search, probably for "restricted bikes" will highlight some informative posts on the topics.

If this is your first bike, you will most likely fall or damage it even lightly, so the thing to get into your mind is that you will have to set aside a year of learning and then 2 years of restricted driving before you can drive what you like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

looking for a cruiser / tourer type of bike. not really into speed but like a bit of pull for safely overtaking. what do you think i should go for? i iquite like hondas pan european st1100 but its a bit big and expensive. the yamaha dragstar is nice too. looking to spend around 2k

Don't get a big tourer for your first bike :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

expect to drop the bike a couple of times so don't get a big heavy tourer - get something in the mid-size 600-650 range. get some training (maybe ring around some of the trainers to see what types bikes they have before you buy one). You might think you'd like a dragstar but could hate it when you ride it!

What height/weight are you - that'll also have an influence on your choice.

i am 6 foot, 15 stone. basically what i am lookin for is a 600cc approx bike either cruiser or tourer. is this too big to start? what should i be looking for, bearing in mind i want to spend approx 2k.
    thanks for all replies lads.

i am 6 foot, 15 stone. basically what i am lookin for is a 600cc approx bike either cruiser or tourer. is this too big to start? what should i be looking for, bearing in mind i want to spend approx 2k.

Nah, 600cc would be perfect for you I think - you would have to get it restricted though. You should take a lesson or two, most driving schools use 600cc Suzuki Bandits as they are a nice bike to learn on and a nice middle ground ;) So after a bit of riding on one you'd know what sort of bike you'd want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭traco

I'm 6 4, similar situation, 3 years older. I did the theory test and get the provisional and then booked the full test. I got decent gear at the right price and booked lessons to figure out if it was for me. Thought there was no point in buying a bike and insurance if I decided its not for you.

Took 3 x 3 hour lessons, one got me from getting me leg over to low speed control, U-Turns, braking, lifesavers etc. Lesson 2 was out on the road, higher speed control, signalling, life savers and traffic riding, Lesson 3 was a pretest and teh bke for the test. Passed it and got the pink license. Now looking for a bike at right price and thinking around 600 - 650 but sporty looking. When I get the bike i will book another lesson or two using my own bike as I think they are invaluable the information you get is well worth the money. Lessons on your own bike would be cheaper but I would prefer to have dropped the schools bike rather than my own :D

Whatever way you go - best of luck, I have completly enjoyed getting this far, now just need to save for the bike. I am taking my my selecting one that will get me through the restriction and then should keep my happy for another year to get experience and hopefully move up to a 1l of some sorts.

BTW - bike for lessons was a cb400, bit cramped but did the job fine.

thanks for all the help. i rang quinn direct to get a quote there on a yamaha xv535 fully comp for 680 euro, based on the fact that i would have passed my test and this would be my first bike. I asked her would the bike have to be restricted but she had not a clue what i was talking about! strange..

thanks for all the help. i rang quinn direct to get a quote there on a yamaha xv535 fully comp for 680 euro, based on the fact that i would have passed my test and this would be my first bike. I asked her would the bike have to be restricted but she had not a clue what i was talking about! strange..

quinn dont take restriction into account so its upto you to make the bike legal.

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »
    quinn dont take restriction into account so its upto you to make the bike legal.

They do if its factory restricted ;)

KamiKazi wrote: »
    They do if its factory restricted ;)
    I thought it was only aon who accepted factory restriction.

seanybiker wrote: »
    I thought it was only aon who accepted factory restriction.

Dunno, I've head enough people say Quinn do but you know yourself, they could be talking sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Do you have any gear?

You won't have much of your 2K left after buying gear, and getting leasons.
    Leasons = 300?
    Gear = 500 plus?

Have you looked at bikes like the ER-5, etc?
    You can pick one of these up for between 1 and 2K.

Have a look at some second hand bikes to get an idea of price.

Which side of Winter will you be getting the bike? I know a lad that'll be selling a lovely Super4 after the new year.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

I'm just like you 31 just got my first bike 4 weeks ago I had been on a few before and use to have a 50cc when I worked in Dublin I got a ER5 great bike for a first bike got it nice and cheap 1k dont think you can go wrong for that.

I got a lesson last week God i didn't know how much I was still riding like i was on a moped untill it was pointed out to me so make sure you get one or two lessons

As for bikes I'm just hooked I dont ever want to get back in to the Car and I'm still getting use to everyone else waving and nodding to me not like stuck in a sh1ty car so if you pass a guy on a sliver ER5 in wicklow / Bray im sorry if i dont nod but im just getting use all you guys doing it to me and am trying my best :D

yeah the nod and wave is cool in all fairness. I nodded at a chap on a 50cc scooter a few days back and me man nearly fell off the bike he was so happy. 50cc or 2000cc i dont care. We on two wheels (sometimes 1) but we all in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Which side of Winter will you be getting the bike? I know a lad that'll be selling a lovely Super4 after the new year.
    :D

Nah I know that guy-wouldn't trust him or his super4 one bit! ;)

you gettin a new bike Kami?

What you getting-that long awaited SV650?

Nah I know that guy-wouldn't trust him or his super4 one bit! ;)

you gettin a new bike Kami?

What you getting-that long awaited SV650?

Now that's not nice, my bike runs perfectly. Yours has broken down how many times? :p

Yea Sv650 is the next toy on the list, something like this click

had a go on one at the weekend, sooo nice :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

get a tdm 900
    i'm 34 i wwigh 16/17 st and i an 6'2 and i got an 850 mk1 after putting it off for about 15 years (on gixxers) an i love it
    she's so comfy and practical

Advertisement