Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mid life crisis bike

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭manus30

the honda cb500 looks nice and has good reviews, anyone have experience with it? or could you recommend something similar but better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

manus30 wrote: »
    the honda cb500 looks nice and has good reviews, anyone have experience with it? or could you recommend something similar but better

I've got the CB400 (Super4), the Super4 is a lot nippier up to 70mph and it has four cylinders as opposed to two in the CB500, so its sounds a lot nicer too ;) Super4 looks nicer too :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Kwak GT550

(the old cop bike)

Shaft drive. nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Tigger wrote: »
    get a tdm 900
    i'm 34 i wwigh 16/17 st and i an 6'2 and i got an 850 mk1 after putting it off for about 15 years (on gixxers) an i love it
    she's so comfy and practical
    Good thinking actually. I know a fella selling a 850 and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Now that's not nice, my bike runs perfectly. Yours has broken down how many times? :p

/QUOTE]

Argh lets not even go there sister!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

traco wrote: »
    Took 3 x 3 hour lessons, one got me from getting me leg over to low speed control, U-Turns, braking, lifesavers etc. Lesson 2 was out on the road, higher speed control, signalling, life savers and traffic riding, Lesson 3 was a pretest and teh bke for the test. Passed it and got the pink license.

Pink license after 3 lessons seems very good; who was the instructor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭traco

kuro_man wrote: »
    Pink license after 3 lessons seems very good; who was the instructor?

Got the lessons from Tony Moore at ABC Motor Cycle Instruction (Linky) Works out of leinster driving campus so great facility to get a feel fo the bike before going out on the public road. I have no propblem recommending him. Bike used for training was a Honda 400.

Must add after reading my previous post in this thread that I opted for a Fazer over the SV after much sitting on both. Fazer is more upright and thought it would suit me better to begin with. Restrictor kit ordered so should be on the road in the next week or two, funds permitting - bike, restrictor and next the insurance money :(

Bike in in the bike pics thread here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Ok no point in starting a new thread.

So i have a full B license, this means i'll need to pass the theory test and get my permit, yeah?

Other questions; i'm pretty small, about 5'4, so what's the recommendation for a bike? Would heavier suit better for balance/wind or how does this all work.
    What about cc, should i start small i.e. 125 or bigger and get it restricted?

Getting really excited at the prospect of selling my RX-8 and joining the two wheeled ranks!

I'm having my mid life crisis at 25!!!!! Maybe it could be a quarter life crisis???:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

You have to do the theory test for an A licence.

You are restricted to 33kw/25bhp.

After 6 months you can do the test for the 'full' licence.

For the first two years of your 'full' licenec, you are still restricted to 33kw/25bhp.

As for the bike, it depends on what style of bike you like, and how much you have to spend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

guil wrote: »
    the dragstar 650 is learner legal isnt it
    How can a 650 be learner legal? My girlfriend's Hornet 250 is over the limit! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

P.C. wrote: »
    You have to do the theory test for an A licence.

You are restricted to 33kw/25bhp.

After 6 months you can do the test for the 'full' licence.

For the first two years of your 'full' licenec, you are still restricted to 33kw/25bhp.

As for the bike, it depends on what style of bike you like, and how much you have to spend.
    It's actually 33bhp/25kW ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

It's actually 33bhp/25kW ;)

But...

you knew what I meant - too many beers. :eek:

How can a 650 be learner legal? My girlfriend's Hornet 250 is over the limit! :confused:

It's above the power limit but below the power/weight ratio limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

KamiKazi wrote: »
    It's above the power limit but below the power/weight ratio limit.

....which is another reason why you can ride a 1340 Harley on a Provisional too.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭mcyclist

I have a number of bikes and can say that of them all the CB500 is the one I use most. Have been to Europe on it, use it everyday commute and love it.
    Don't know how it compares to CB400 super 4 but it is far superior to the old 400/4.
    Suzuki and Kawasaki make similar bikes ( Er5 and GS500 I think) and they are worth looking at.
    CB500 is commonly used in both UK and germany as a learner bike so it might fit your needs. And because they are not particularly sought after, you should pick up a really good one for about 2K.

mcyclist wrote: »
    I have a number of bikes and can say that of them all the CB500 is the one I use most. Have been to Europe on it, use it everyday commute and love it.
    Don't know how it compares to CB400 super 4 but it is far superior to the old 400/4.
    Suzuki and Kawasaki make similar bikes ( Er5 and GS500 I think) and they are worth looking at.
    CB500 is commonly used in both UK and germany as a learner bike so it might fit your needs. And because they are not particularly sought after, you should pick up a really good one for about 2K.

the CB500 has a little bit more speed at the top end, but the super4 sounds much nicer because its four cylinder instead of two ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

s.welstead wrote: »
    Ok no point in starting a new thread.

So i have a full B license, this means i'll need to pass the theory test and get my permit, yeah?

Other questions; i'm pretty small, about 5'4, so what's the recommendation for a bike? Would heavier suit better for balance/wind or how does this all work.
    What about cc, should i start small i.e. 125 or bigger and get it restricted?

Getting really excited at the prospect of selling my RX-8 and joining the two wheeled ranks!

Try a Ninja 250r. Amazing bike.

Try a Ninja 250r. Amazing bike.

Looks cool!

I've booked my theory test!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

man . get your self an enduro bike. It will keep ya fit as a fiddle and way more fun than road bikes (and i guarantee you wont get runover by a lorry). Novice grade in the TORC championship. ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

s.welstead wrote: »

Good for you, even if today is a ****e day to start !

You have to laugh/cry/wonder, though, at a situation where anyone can just walk in and buy the likes of an RX-8 (cool, btw...), but you have to go through a million hoops for a 250 or 500 bike..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

rx8 is grand yoke alright. Keep it and get a bike .

Advertisement