Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pros and the Cons of Lisbon Treaty

Options
  • 13-09-2009 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

up to now I still dont know exactly what the advantages and disadvantage of joining the Lisbon.

Even after my friend they are not sure, even the leaflets are confusing.

If you know please list the pros and cons so we all can have a clearer picture

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Pros:
    Sure hasn't Europe been really good to us!

Cons:
    You will be forced to join an EU army and you'll be paid €1.84 an hour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

Newaglish wrote: »
    Cons:
    You will be forced to join an EU army
    Entirely incorrect. The statement on these campaign posters is an outright lie. Each member state has a say on its own military's participation within an EU outfit such as SAFE. The only body which can set a policy on conscription is the Irish govt.
    you'll be paid €1.84 an hour!
    This concerns the minimum wage of future accession states to the EU and is so obliquely writtent that it cannot even claim it as a fact. In short, the answer is no. Minimum wage in this country will not be changed by decree of an EU institution without approval of this country's own government.
    Hence it being written as a question on the posters. A little trick to get your attention with a (baseless) startle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mr.888

Pros:
    Sure hasn't Europe been really good to us!

Cons:
    You will be forced to join an EU army and you'll be paid €1.84 an hour!

Yes, too good to us, spoilt and got carried away!

Over my dead body would I join any army!

Any more facts that we should know before voting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

This should really be in the EU forum.

My main reasons for voting Yes are the increase of power to the directly elected Parliament, the Citizens' Initiative, the Charter of Fundamental Rights becoming legally binding and the increased role of national parliaments in EU decision making.

See the link in my sig if you want more detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Mr.888 wrote: »
    Yes, too good to us, spoilt and got carried away!

Over my dead body would I join any army!

Any more facts that we should know before voting?

And incidentally, it's completely untrue that the our minimum wage will be affected and that Lisbon will bring in conscription.

These are lies invented by certain No campaigners, and have no basis in reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'm assuming Newaglish is taking the proverbial, poking fun at some of the useless posters making outlandish claims.

The EU forum is here and there's a big long thread called "pros & cons" here already. Worth taking a look around the forum though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement