Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comptroller & Auditor General's Report and CIE

• 13-09-2009 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

I had a quick look at the Comptroller and Auditor General's 2008 report online - yawn,yawn....waste, waste and more waste but nowhere could I find any reference to CIE/IE - did I miss something? There again I suppose CIE/IE would need a separate report to deal with the massive waste that goes on in there. What about the Mk IV fiasco (although CAF may have to finance the modifications?); the wasteful extension of platforms throughout the country when selective door opening could have been installed in all new railcars and carriages (and a tender is now out for it to be retro-fitted); and one of my favourites is the supply to every ticket office at every station in the country of computers - to my certain knowledge the one in my local station has never been switched on three years after being installed (!) - presumably these computers will join the e voting machines in some landfill? The removal of Fastrack nationwide but the retention of the staff who handled the traffic - their only duties now being to clean toilets, sell tickets (despite ATVM in most stations) and to watch out for the possible appearance of local management.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

I'm with you on the last point. I assuming that it would be more costly (definately in the short term) to let the fastrack staff go, so there wasn't really much of a choice. TVMs were always dodgy when it came to some journeys. Overcharging people a lot. There was a full week last year where Drogheda-Donabate fares were higher on the TVMs than they should have been. I've heard that they've improved but I still wouldn't like to rely on them completely.

Also, i'm firmly on your side when it comes to Fastrack. You managed to convince me:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Glad to have a new recruit to the cause. The ATVM are, in my experience, the most expensive way of purchasing a ticket - by a mile - and as you say they cannot issue certain types of tickets. Fastrack only had dedicated staff in major stations while in the vast majority of station it was handled by existing staff (frequently the signalmen who usually doubled as ticket office staff) - you see where I'm coming from don't you? First you close the cabin and then change the signalman to a depotman (no saving there), then take away one of few remaining jobs and a revenue stream (parcels) and you have the economics of the mad-house. :mad:

What do you think about the ticket office computers that have been installed and never used - to my knowledge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Fastrack only had dedicated staff in major stations while in the vast majority of station it was handled by existing staff (frequently the signalmen who usually doubled as ticket office staff) - you see where I'm coming from don't you? First you close the cabin and then change the signalman to a depotman (no saving there)

I was just thinking the same thing as I read that. I'd say you're right about the computers also. Particularly in smaller stations there is no need fro them. And even some of the bigger ones have more than they need. You seem a bit frustrated today Judgement.....something annoying you? Your on the rampage here a bit...

Advertisement