Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor bikes and guns

Options
  • 13-09-2009 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

I have seen some references to some posters and bikes here so I was hoping someone may have some advice on moving around on your bike with a gun. I'm looking at it from two points, first security. Its not just a case of slipping it in the boot when no-one is looking, I know some of the kids on the street have pinged it. If I'm on the bike its in a black rifle case. I just said I was going for a game of pool but they didn't buy it, little feckers. On this has anyone any thoughts on this aspect of it.

The other side is my permissions are very close to my house so I'm not travelling far at the moment. But I do hope to travell further, so if there are people using bikes here, how do you manage the balence between your protective kit and what you will be wearing in the field and you associated shooting kit? I have used a small back-pack but with the case its messy. I have a top box my bikes but there is not much room left once you put your lid in it.

So anyone any thoughts [apart for the "get a car" one ;)]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ronboy

Get a jeep..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

ronboy wrote: »
    Get a jeep..;)

Good call, I put my hand out for that one:)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

Even with a car many people must still be out in the open for a while for loading and unloading cars. Depening on the size of your rifle, perhaps a musical instrument case might be an option.

Guitar case (and shape) comes to mind for a smaller rifle like a CZ, Scout etc. Add a Yamaha or Gibson sticker rather than a Winchester sticker and they will still notice you but for a differnt reason.

I have sticker like that on the side of my aluminium gun case and some fo the neighbours even asked me where I play !

Also used a golf bag (the weatherproof ones with the zip top - cheap in places like woodies). Seems to work as well !

freddieot wrote: »
    Even with a car many people must still be out in the open for a while for loading and unloading cars. Depening on the size of your rifle, perhaps a musical instrument case might be an option.

Guitar case (and shape) comes to mind for a smaller rifle like a CZ, Scout etc. Add a Yamaha or Gibson sticker rather than a Winchester sticker and they will still notice you but for a differnt reason.

I have sticker like that on the side of my aluminium gun case and some fo the neighbours even asked me where I play !

Also used a golf bag (the weatherproof ones with the zip top - cheap in places like woodies). Seems to work as well !

Good ideas, cheers, think I check out a golfbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Shades of the movie El Marachi and Desparado:D:D:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I think you're going to have security problems no matter what kind of bag you're using though - the kind of thing folks were talking about for security in cars were bad enough (welding stuff into a boot isn't exactly doing a lot of good for what little resale value you still have), but on a bike, with no possibility of secure storage? Tricky...

I suppose somthing like this would be totally out of the question??:eek::)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Sparks wrote: »
    I think you're going to have security problems no matter what kind of bag you're using though - the kind of thing folks were talking about for security in cars were bad enough (welding stuff into a boot isn't exactly doing a lot of good for what little resale value you still have), but on a bike, with no possibility of secure storage? Tricky...

I think your right, whatever way I look at it. The two permissions I currently have are within walking distance, so for the moment I think the golf bag is a good idea, it would take less than 5 mins to get to one of them.

Its getting pass all the kids on the road without it being noticable what I'm up. Once I'm out of the estate its straight into fields, so nobody can see me then.

The other difficultly is bike kit is too bulky for the fields, so I will have to start working on that when I start to travel further afield.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Classic, I would have the little feckers chasing me for miles on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Brilliant:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

i think when they mean not to advertise the fact you have a gun they are talking about not brandishing the thing all about the place
    bloody hell, it dosent mean you have to go all cloak and dagger and under the cover of a moonless night to shift it out of the house
    the more you try to conceal it the more "suspicious" you look take it out like its the most natural thing in the world and no one will notice
    for God's sake it't not against the law to have a licenced gun

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Not everyone who shoots can afford a car (although the way things are going I can see shooting become a rich man only sport). You can go two ways with this, you can either saw off the stock and most of the barrel and wear it in a holster, which combined with bike leathers will give you the full mad max effect, or you could get panniers for your gear and use an instrument case.
    I don't see how security is a problem with a bike as the only time the gun will be on the bike is when you're driving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Hairy Hunter

I used to be in the same boat, so to speak.

The shot gun is fairly handy, I use a leg of mutton type bag, but with the air rifle I put it in a large rucksack and rapped something around the barrel to disguise the shape. The wind resistance was a pain in the ass though. But the rucksack was handy for putting the bike gear in when I got to the location.

A few months back I bought a Hilux pick up:D, Its the job.

HH.

You can go two ways with this, you can either saw off the stock and most of the barrel and wear it in a holster, which combined with bike leathers will give you the full mad max effect,

AHA!!!The perfect"good reason "for folding,detachable or telescoping stocks!!!Transporting your guns by bike,and the necessity of disguising them!!:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

Odysseus wrote: »

So anyone any thoughts [apart for the "get a car" one ;)]

How about a Bike Trailer

http://www.awtrailersandtrikes.com.au/template/files/6879/trailer11_lg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭custom900

Man, if you are seen pulling a firearm out of a music case or a golf bag and the armed feds turn up.............................:eek:

The feds? In Ireland? I don't know who'd be more surprised...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭custom900

It's a generic expression.:rolleyes:
    Seriously though, scary scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭syconerd

sorry lads, but as a person who regularly's drive's my motorcycle to the range, I put it in a gun bag and carry it on my shoulder, I have not have any problems or attentions from anybody dodgy so I think you would be fine.
    john

syconerd wrote: »
    sorry lads, but as a person who regularly's drive's my motorcycle to the range, I put it in a gun bag and carry it on my shoulder, I have not have any problems or attentions from anybody dodgy so I think you would be fine.
    john
    What do you do with the firearm if you have to stop for petrol? Or develop a mechanical failure? Or, providence forbid, are in an accident?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

john

i've done the same , pop the revolver into the bag with some gear and off i go to the range , if you have an accident i don't see how it matters if your on a bike or in a car , if its a serious one the gardai turn up and take control of things and if its not there is no loss of control of the firearm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

You could always get a bass guitar gig bag, it could be made to hold a shot gun or rifle. It’s longer then six string guitar so most long guns will fit in it.

I have on of these for my bass.

prod_bdb_AR_195880.html?image=0

http://www.thomann.de/ie/thomann_gigbag_ebass_camo.htm

And the cost is a lot less then you would pay for a gun slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭syconerd

:)Hi sparks
    I dont know if you knew but I was in a very bad accident in 2001 while on my bike and I had to surender the 2 rifles that I had strapped on by bungies to the side of my bike, also when I go in to a shop I would bring the rifle in with me to the shop, for example one day while coming back from east coast shooting club on a particularly cold afternoon I stopped by my local to have a hot whisky and nobody batted an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

:)Hi sparks
    I dont know if you knew but I was in a very bad accident in 2001 while on my bike and I had to surender the 2 rifles that I had strapped on by bungies to the side of my bike
    At least you survived the accident!
    when I go in to a shop I would bring the rifle in with me to the shop, for example one day while coming back from east coast shooting club on a particularly cold afternoon I stopped by my local to have a hot whisky and nobody batted an eyelid.
    /facepalm
    There are places even in wicklow where doing that would lead to you coming face to face with an ERU callout :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Sparks wrote: »
    There are places even in wicklow where doing that would lead to you coming face to face with an ERU callout :(

And there are places in Dublin where no one would bat an eyelid at the sight of a gun in its case!! Jesus your going top side fast with all you gibber jabber scare mongering talk about ERU call outs especailly as syconerd stated that he has'em in a bag.

Anyway, If you go for a drink and you leave the gun in the car and its stolen (from you car) then afa the garda are concerned you'll never get another licence again! So if you bring it into the bar with you then you will avoid this scenario.

Now I imagine now that some people out their are climbing into to the graves so as to conduct the traditional turn. Others are simply thinking that one should not drink and drive and- should definitely not drink n drive and be in possession of a firearm!. Well it happens all the time.
    People regularly go for a drink after a shoot! some have a heart warming sip before the shoot and some take a drop during the shoot!

Personal i have no issues with any of the above as long as its only a drop or two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

AHA!!!The perfect"good reason "for folding,detachable or telescoping stocks!!!Transporting your guns by bike,and the necessity of disguising them!!:D:D:D:D

this reason might only be required for a shottie!;)

And there are places in Dublin where no one would bat an eyelid at the sight of a gun in its case!
    Yes, there are. Granted, I only know of two and both of them are rifle clubs, but you're still technically correct.
    ! Jesus your going top side fast with all you gibber jabber scare mongering talk about ERU call outs especailly as syconerd stated that he has'em in a bag.
    Ivan, there are places in wicklow where this stuff doesn't bat an eyelid. I know, I've been there. Everyone knows everyone else, and if John comes in with the rifle slip over his shoulder, Tom knows him for the last twenty years, gets the odd bit of venison from him even, and it doesn't even register.

There are many other places in Wicklow, and again, I've been there, where that's just not the case and where walking in with a gunslip can cause consternation if the guy behind the counter recognises or discovers what it is.
    Anyway, If you go for a drink and you leave the gun in the car and its stolen (from you car) then afa the garda are concerned you'll never get another licence again! So if you bring it into the bar with you then you will avoid this scenario.
    So now you're advocating drinking and driving and bringing the firearm into the pub with you?
    Personal i have no issues with any of the above as long as its only a drop or two.
    No-one ever does until the vice-president shoots an old man in the face after a feed of beer over lunch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 bang

Rifle carrier for motorcycle
    United States Patent 4607772

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4607772.htm

• Advertisement

Lockable Koplin gun case mounted to bike??with a bike immobiliser???They are used for ATVs in the US.

Advertisement