Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its cool to see The Beatles on the music channels

Options
  • 13-09-2009 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

Just watching Bealtemania on VH1 Classic. :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It is indeed cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Yes. It is.....

Got to Get You Into My Life is amazingly under-appreciated. It's a great song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

TBH i never got the appeal in the beatles.....

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

ON BEHALF OF MYSPACE I'D JUST LIKE TO SAY LOL @ YOU PETE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Truth of the matter is that the Beatles back catalogue is being rushed out now because in 3 yrs (2013) some of their earlier stuff becomes free, ie the record companies no longer own the copyright to it. Music copyright lasts for 50 yrs. My guess is we're going to be sick of the Beatles by 2013, they're going to be everywhere, radio and TV adverts etc.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan, its just the music industry has a long habbit of milking every last penny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Never liked the Beatles.....overrated.......like Yoko though.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Difference is it takes 50 years to get sick of The Beatles whereas all the other crap they play takes less than 50 seconds :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I'd prefer to see more classic Rock, Rush, early Black Sabbath , Led Zeppelin , Pink Floyd etc, but yeah, seeing The Beatles is a massive improvement on the crap they mostly show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

ON BEHALF OF MYSPACE I'D JUST LIKE TO SAY LOL @ YOU PETE!

wtf????

Whos pete?

Me too. I felt they insisted on themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Perry Como - now there was an entertainer the whole family could appreciate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

galwayrush wrote: »
    I'd prefer to see more classic Rock, Rush, early Black Sabbath , Led Zeppelin , Pink Floyd etc, but yeah, seeing The Beatles is a massive improvement on the crap they mostly show.

considering thier must be 20 music chanells , one would think thier would be room for at least one which is dedicated to old classics and by that i dont bean thriller or blondie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Like em or hate em what always stood out for me was their unreal progression and inventiveness in a startlingly short time. Reading the review of the rereleases in the times last week, what hits you is the speed of it all. in 6 and a bit years, two albums a year, plus singles every couple of months that weren't on albums. No one has ever come close to an output like that that has changed music and the music business like they did.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The Beatles will always be cool to watch and listen to as much as any group .Each new generation discovers them .There is hardly a group or artist in the last 30 years that hasn't being influenced by them in some way , shape or form .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

irish_bob wrote: »
    considering thier must be 20 music chanells , one would think thier would be room for at least one which is dedicated to old classics and by that i dont bean thriller or blondie
    Lack of videos could be an issue for the earlier stuff, but from at least the mid 70's on that would be less of an issue.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 barrymcloughlin

I think a lot of what The Beatles achieved both musically and technically (i.e. in terms of using the studio as an "instrument) is diluted by the fact that we've become so used to hearing their songs and by how commonplace many of the things they pioneered have become.

I can't imagine what it must've been like for a fan in the 1960s to hear "Strawberry Fields Forever" for the first time ever, especially in comparison to what else was in the charts at the time. (I know there was plenty of other equally inventive musicians around at the time, but this was from a band who a few short years beforehand just wanted to Hold Your Hand.)

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Truth of the matter is that the Beatles back catalogue is being rushed out now because in 3 yrs (2013) some of their earlier stuff becomes free, ie the record companies no longer own the copyright to it. Music copyright lasts for 50 yrs. My guess is we're going to be sick of the Beatles by 2013, they're going to be everywhere, radio and TV adverts etc.

I'd say in a few years we'll see copyright law magically changed (again) to prevent this from happening: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Great band that penned some real classics.

I won't say they're finally getting the recognition they deserve since they're still adored by millions today but it is nice to see them getting airplay, maybe introducing a new generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Did my bmus thesis on the beatles.

My iPod would rather I typed 'beagles' or 'Nestle'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The best way to appricate the Beatles is to think of them like this. In 2003 they released their first album of catchy pop, in 2006 they released the first ever "rock" album, in 2008 they released the White Album and next year they'll be gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

It's sad not cool - let it be FFS!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

galwayrush wrote: »
    Translation: "Support the classic rock forum". I'm seeing those subliminal messages all over the place, and I'm with ya 100%. :)
    mike65 wrote: »
    The best way to appricate the Beatles is to think of them like this. In 2003 they released their first album of catchy pop, in 2006 they released the first ever "rock" album, in 2008 they released the White Album and next year they'll be gone.
    That's actually really, really nicely put Mike - can I use it? :)

I'm a person who could never get The Beatles either, but in recent years I've started to appreciate them from about Rubber Soul onwards. Some bitchin' psychedelic stuff by them in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Feel free. A rare inspired moment from me needs to be spread about! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Me too. I felt they insisted on themselves.

This sentence has no meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Wibbs wrote: »
    Like em or hate em what always stood out for me was their unreal progression and inventiveness in a startlingly short time. Reading the review of the rereleases in the times last week, what hits you is the speed of it all. in 6 and a bit years, two albums a year, plus singles every couple of months that weren't on albums. No one has ever come close to an output like that that has changed music and the music business like they did.

+1

thier body of work is unrivalled in terms of quality and sheer volume in such a relativley short space of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Sgt Pepper for its time, was just light years ahead of anything else going on at the time, I still listen to it and still get blown away. Fabulous stuff.

The Sgt Pepper Making of programme on VH1 was excellent!

Advertisement