Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warranty?

Options
  • 13-09-2009 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭

First off let me apologise if this has already been covered, I have searched for warranty-related threads but couldn't find the answer to my query.

As I'm only starting out in Airsoft I wouldn't know what to look out for in 2nd hand devices so I'm going to buy new, but one area of concern that has reared it's ugly head is for me is the warranty that new devices have when bought new (from IAA-affiliated shops, of course). The reason for the concern is that I have read several threads where a new device has failed, often catastrophically, after only a couple of mags have been put through it, sometimes even on the first shot, often before the user has ever had a chance to skirmish with it. In some cases the user reported that the shop replaced/repaired the device under warranty (as they should IMO), but in too many it appears that the user had to foot the bill themselves.

So my question is this: If you buy a new device from an approved airsoft retailer, use it as designed, as shipped in stock configuration, with approved mags/BBs, and don't do anything stupid with it that could potentially void the warranty, what does/should the warranty cover in the event of a issue/failure? My understanding is that under Irish/EU law all items sold in this country must have a minimum of 1year warranty, is there any reason this doesn't apply to airsoft products??

Cheers, Mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

First off let me apologise if this has already been covered, I have searched for warranty-related threads but couldn't find the answer to my query.

As I'm only starting out in Airsoft I wouldn't know what to look out for in 2nd hand devices so I'm going to buy new, but one area of concern that has reared it's ugly head is for me is the warranty that new devices have when bought new (from IAA-affiliated shops, of course). The reason for the concern is that I have read several threads where a new device has failed, often catastrophically, after only a couple of mags have been put through it, sometimes even on the first shot, often before the user has ever had a chance to skirmish with it. In some cases the user reported that the shop replaced/repaired the device under warranty (as they should IMO), but in too many it appears that the user had to foot the bill themselves.

TBH its rare that some guns are faulty out of the box. Me I have had no trouble with something new whereas some people like my brother have problems where he has bought 3 guns that never worked but it think such is life and these things happen but I wouldn't let these stories put you into any doubt about buying a new gun. As long as you haven't void the warranty you don't owe them anything, you may have to pay to send it to them for repairs but they'll refund you for that.
    So my question is this: If you buy a new device from an approved airsoft retailer, use it as designed, as shipped in stock configuration, with approved mags/BBs, and don't do anything stupid with it that could potentially void the warranty, what does/should the warranty cover in the event of a issue/failure? My understanding is that under Irish/EU law all items sold in this country must have a minimum of 1year warranty, is there any reason this doesn't apply to airsoft products??

Cheers, Mark.

The EU warranty or shop guarantee (open to correction here) covers nearly everything apart from you opening up the gun and messing with it or using s**t bb's in it. If you have done everthing you have supposed to do and nothing to void the warranty and it still does not work or is still faulty you are applicable for a repair of refund.

Every single retailer in this country would be happy to offer you those terms without any hassle.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Decoy

Cheers Flecktarn, appreciate the reply. Quality airsoft devices are not cheap so I need to be sure I am covered for anything that might go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Thanks for posting this...quite a good thread:)

Hopefully you don't mind me adding to it:

This is mainly directed at the retailers, but hey if you have an answer please post;
    - If your AEG/GBB is covered by warranty, and you get it upgraded IN the retailer you bought it from...is it still covered under warranty?
    - Are things like blown fuses covered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

Speaking only for Eirsoft, naturally...
    Inari wrote: »
    - If your AEG/GBB is covered by warranty, and you get it upgraded IN the retailer you bought it from...is it still covered under warranty?

Yes, its covered.
    Inari wrote: »
    - Are things like blown fuses covered?

Would you bring a kettle back to Power City if the fuse needed replacing ? :)
    We'd cover it if you brought it back, naturally....but for something so simple it wouldnt (in my opinion anyway) be worth bringing it back when you can get the fuses yourselves easily enough, for less than a euro.

However, if an underlying problem is causing the fuse to blow, then yes, you'd be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

That's what I meant...you don't replace the fuse without knowing why it blew, and in the case of a n00blet like myself I wouldn't know what caused it to blow. Should have phrased it better...but thanks for the info:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement