Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything HPAT and medicine for 2010 (R1 points post #1247)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

Mayoegian wrote: »
    Is there any chance that a new HPAT practise booklet will be brought out next year? I'd like to do the practise one now, but would like a different one to do next year!

Ask your guidance councellor for a copy!! Then next year you can source another one!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 erica!

You could get some of the UMAT ones, they're the same as the HPAT except used in Australia.

I bought the Umat Practise test from acer (http://www.acer.edu.au/tests/university.html) but Umat pratice test 1 is word for word the same as the Hpat practice test!!... :mad: Sooo id go for no2........
    Acer are the australian company who make the hpat gamsat umat etc. so its the same thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 erica!

shamoono wrote: »
    Yup it's not really true. During a preperation at **** the Dr who was the lecturer said he was talking with the creator of the HPAT exam. He asked him "why are you telling students that they can't prepare for this exam?" He replied "Because it will just make our jobs harder."
    Could be probably just to get more money but they guy is a doctor and has 2-3 children who all got perfect UMAT scores. Didn't seem like a person who would lie.

Apart from that being positive substantial increases your score.
    :D

**Money racket**

How come these great prep classes arent boastin how much they improved last years peoples scores?

Because they didnt....

"The creator of the hpat"?
    As in the australian council for educational research told him "it would make our job harder" ...
    i find this very hard to believe?...

erica! wrote: »
    **Money racket**

How come these great prep classes arent boastin how much they improved last years peoples scores?

Because they didnt....

As in the australian council for educational research told him "it would make our job harder" ...

here here!

its some SCAM!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

marzh007 wrote: »
    what number are we supposed to put on the admission ticket?

I have the same question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 NeverTry

Balls! HPAT in less than one week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Synods

As somebody who suffered the HPAT last year and is currently studying medicine, I can tell you that by far the biggest advantage you can have going in to sit the HPAT is being male!

Perhaps it's because the male brain is more logically inclined, or perhaps they actually are secretly marked easier:P?! I'm not able to say for certain what the reason is, but I can say that from discussing the HPAT/scores with my class, males (generally) do score higher than females!

As for preparing for the HPAT, I would definitely reccomend a good night's sleep beforehand and a good breakfast (not exactly a revelation I know) Most of the courses out there are simply money spinners, run by conmen eager to prey on naive students whose pushy parents are desperate enough to fork out a few hundered euro for them. I didn't do a course and got in, as did many others i know. I also know a number of people who did pay the extortionate fees for such courses and didn't get in! Be familiar with the layout and remember that timing is crucial-after that there isn't alot much more that you can do, despite what the course givers may tell you!

NeverTry wrote: »
    Balls! HPAT in less than one week!
    ...I'm 18 in a week too. The HPAT has sucked all my excitement for my birthday from me :(

I was 18 the day after the HPAT...most wrecked and drained night out EVER! :p
    Haha better than 18 ON the HPAT...not so fun :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Freakin4Leavin

Do we get given paper in the hpat like for rough work??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

Do we get given paper in the hpat like for rough work??

No

Well if there's no paper given where are we expected to our rough work for section one? Is there room on the sheet next to the questions maybe?

Well if there's no paper given where are we expected to our rough work for section one? Is there room on the sheet next to the questions maybe?
    Yeah I just scribbled next to the qs in my practice tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

erica! wrote: »
    **Money racket**

Because they didnt....
    Well, there's only been one hpat so far, so it's impossible to say that. It'd be great to see some real stats on the results between last year and this year, but I'd say all we'll get is "anecdotal evidence".
    But I was at that **** course too, and I thought the speaker was utterly full of it. That story about the ACER guy saying that was ridiculous. I think I actually slapped my palm against my face when he was saying it.
    facepalm.gif

Well, there's only been one hpat so far, so it's impossible to say that. It'd be great to see some real stats on the results between last year and this year, but I'd say all we'll get is "anecdotal evidence".

Hmmm i wonder what they will say?? that people didnt go up??? dont think so...

But I was at that **** course too, and I thought the speaker was utterly full of it. That story about the ACER guy saying that was ridiculous. I think I actually slapped my palm against my face when he was saying it.
    facepalm.gif

You never know, he may have been talking to Mr. ACER, as one man just makes all their tests....
    But who can blame that med entry guy for trying to run a business i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Just write on the booklet. I did a bit of rough work, trying to put diagrams into words or words into diagrams.

On the admission ticket it says arrival time 10.00 does that mean the exam begins at a later time at like 10.30 or does it begin at 10 and we should arrive at 9.30?!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

On the admission ticket it says arrival time 10.00 does that mean the exam begins at a later time at like 10.30 or does it begin at 10 and we should arrive at 9.30?!
    Arrive at 10 I believe. It had 9:30 on last years ticket and we were waiting around til long after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Dubs wrote: »
    Arrive at 10 I believe. It had 9:30 on last years ticket and we were waiting around til long after that
    Mine started at half 10 or 11 last year. Was not best pleased:rolleyes: How's everyone feeling at this stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MagikMonkey

What sort of scores have people got in the Practice Test? I need to know whether or not I should freak out... :p

There were a few in Section 3 I didn't get, if anyone could help me out that would be great: Q92, Q95, Q100 and Q104.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

I am more annoyed at the fact I will miss my saturday than nervous :D. Have to take 6:30 bus to Dublin "grumbles"

What sort of scores have people got in the Practice Test? I need to know whether or not I should freak out... :p

There were a few in Section 3 I didn't get, if anyone could help me out that would be great: Q92, Q95, Q100 and Q104.

Well to say you couldnt get just four then I'm sh!ting it!!

What is it, four and a half days left?? 108hrs??? tick-tock tick tock

92B. The black line is going 45-90-135 etc and alternating between CW and ACW.

95C. The pattern across the rows is not quite the same as the pattern down the columns.

100E. Involves differences in the number of lines.

104D. Black circle moves around one unit at a time. Star goes two steps forward, one step back.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 TowlieMcD

I did the practice booklet for the first time about a week and a half ago.
    Now, considering i had done no preparation at all before that,no ukcat questions or other types of similar questions, no nothing!
    is 74 out of 110 good or bad?

TowlieMcD wrote: »
    I did the practice booklet for the first time about a week and a half ago.
    Now, considering i had done no preparation at all before that,no ukcat questions or other types of similar questions, no nothing!
    is 74 out of 110 good or bad?
    That's a score of ~200...so good! Keep in mind that ACER adjusts the scores though, so it'd likely be a bit lower than that.

That's a score of ~200...so good! Keep in mind that ACER adjusts the scores though, so it'd likely be a bit lower than that.
    Well, we don't know how they adjust them. It might even be higher!
    The three sections are supposed to be equally weighted, so you'd have to get the percentages for the individual sections and add them together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 NeverTry

I'm not trying to make anyone feel nervous but I reckon getting med this year is going to be even harder than last year.

I hear that there are a lot of college students repeating the test (esp in NUIG). I'd say there'll be > 4,000 at least. I know 4 misfortunates who did the HPAT and all 4 are repeating again this year, and I'm sure a lot of you know some people in the same boat. I"m no matamatician (not yet anyway) but I think that leaves us with a 1 in 10 chance in getting in.

It is so unfair. If I had my way all of us HPAT bloggers should automatically get accepted into med. We obviously care enough about it!

Anyway I'm confident that I'm going to ace this test (false hope and overconfidence is all that I have left)

Approximately 84 hours left! I THINK I'M FREAKING OUT

ACER have said there's very little to be gained from repeating the HPAT, and that usually where an increase is seen it's only around 2% or so. ACER adjust the scores so that the scores/percentiles are similar from year to year, so really the points can't rise drastically.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rossie17

Whatever about 4000 people doing it, I prefer that to needing 590 points to get in..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MagikMonkey

92B. The black line is going 45-90-135 etc and alternating between CW and ACW.

95C. The pattern across the rows is not quite the same as the pattern down the columns.

100E. Involves differences in the number of lines.

104D. Black circle moves around one unit at a time. Star goes two steps forward, one step back.

Thanks for the help!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement