Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything HPAT and medicine for 2010 (R1 points post #1247)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

92B. The black line is going 45-90-135 etc and alternating between CW and ACW.

95C. The pattern across the rows is not quite the same as the pattern down the columns.

100E. Involves differences in the number of lines.

104D. Black circle moves around one unit at a time. Star goes two steps forward, one step back.

any ideas about 103? cant for the life of me figure it out

On an interesting note, I did the practice test for the first time since last year and went up by quite a bit in each section. Maybe its because I subconsciously remembered some of it though, who knows. Funny thing I found was that in almost all the questions I got wrong this time, I answered the same as I did last year :P

Hopefully I didnt just jinx the actual thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

103E: Only one shape changes at a time
    c-d-e-b-a

103E: Only one shape changes at a time
    c-d-e-b-a

Cant believe i never saw that... there i was looking at the way they moved. Thanks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Well, we don't know how they adjust them. It might even be higher!
    The three sections are supposed to be equally weighted, so you'd have to get the percentages for the individual sections and add them together.

Not so straightforward as that either. There's no guarantee that each question within each section is equally weighted, so it probably depends not just on how many you get right in each section, but which particular ones you get right in each section.

Yup. I don't like this secretive marking thing.
    At least the Americans are more honest and upfront about the way they grade to a curve.
    This website has some interesting info on grading standardised aptitude tests.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

The more I hear about entry requirements to the Medicine course in this country, the more sickened I get. Its such an unfair system. The only way things can be made fair is to increase the number of places on medical courses. For Gods sake like, there's a shortage of doctors in this country and the majority of graduates end up going off to work abroad because of better working conditions and better career prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FreeT

Ok, being honest, I'm not good at the whole empathetic identity thing.

Does anyone know any sites where I can practice for the section 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

FreeT wrote: »

Does anyone know any sites where I can practice for the section 2?

I'm not sure how much you can pactice that section but what I was reccommended was the following:

Get a novel, the more serious chick-lit like the better. Books by Jodie Picoult tend to be good for this. Pick out sections where the charatcers are having a fight/thinking over something difficult/ or in some emotional type situation, then read through the paragraph and stop half way through, and try and guess what they do next/think next/how they're feeling.

It's worked for a few folk i know :)

The middle of the sequence questions in section 3 are driving me spare, does anyone have any tips on how to tackle them? Please?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rossie17

lol we are crazy...the hpat is a vicious competition but we are all telling each other how to do stuff :P

For section 3 the middle of sequence there isnt much prep you can do, you kind of either spot it or you dont. Look for 1 difference between each one and try to put them in systematic order...sorry not much help:(

• Advertisement

Rossie17 wrote: »
    lol we are crazy...the hpat is a vicious competition but we are all telling each other how to do stuff :P

For section 3 the middle of sequence there isnt much prep you can do, you kind of either spot it or you dont. Look for 1 difference between each one and try to put them in systematic order...sorry not much help:(

It's all good karma ;) besides I'm fully expecting my medical class to be exclusively bordsies, it's the other 3800 doing the test that have to worry :p
    Thanks Rossie17, every little helps :D

Hahaha a boardsies med class would be wicked :) We'd already be buddies after our HPAT helping.

I hate middle of the sequence too...section 3 in general tbh! Can't believe it's so soon now...kinda snuck up on us eh?

I know!! In my head I still have ages to prepare... It's like the leaving ;) I'll start the cramming madly tomorrow... :D Just think, this time next week, we're finished!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cweeva

I'm the same... thought i had ages... really i don't. ahhhhh.
    for the middle sequence thing, i find it helpful if you look for three of the shapes that have something in common... one of them is normally in the middle! kinda narrows it down a bit ;) after that... i'm stumped!:rolleyes:

Lads I'm not planning on logging on much for the rest of the day, section 3 crammining and all that :D Best of luck to ye all tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

Good luck tomorrow everyone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 s0ur_cherry

yo fellow hpaters, i just printed off my ticket there, and of course the black ink would run out halfway through, so now im left with a ticket thats half black/grey and half light red... do you think this will be acceptable? they seem to be awfully strict with all their rules and regulations like, i must've received about 10 emails with various rules at this stage...

cweeva wrote: »
    I'm the same... thought i had ages... really i don't. ahhhhh.
    for the middle sequence thing, i find it helpful if you look for three of the shapes that have something in common... one of them is normally in the middle! kinda narrows it down a bit ;) after that... i'm stumped!:rolleyes:
    The 'middle' is going to be in the middle of that three, but also in the in middle of the other two.

Good luck to all of you!

Small word of advice for everyone tomorrow: use the jacks before you go in! It may seem stupid and obvious, but honestly, the amount of people going to the toilets in the middle of the exam last year was unreal. Your going to be in the hall for close to 4 hours and your pushed for time enough as it is. It just disrupts other people too. Not trying to be narky or anything, just for everyones sake!

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Just thought I'd pop in and offer a few titbits of last minute really obvious advice-

Get plenty of sleep tonight!
    Get to your exam centre on plenty of time (I remember leaving way in advance for mine last year, and then running in at the last minute because we couldn't find the school it was on in ... :rolleyes: )
    Don't stress! It's not worth the stress, go in nice and calm and you'll do much better!
    Don't compare answers or whatever with people at the end... just go home and comfort eat.

Most importantly- Don't feel down afterwards. I felt a little crap after mine, but there's really no way of telling how you did. I was convinced for months I'd done pretty terribly, and long story short, I'm now enjoying my First Year of Medicine in Trinity :)

So, best of luck to everyone, and I'll hopefully be seeing some of you in the wonderful TCD next year :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cweeva

well i guess here goes nothing!
    Good luck everyone! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Yes good luck everyone, get plenty of sleep I probably can't sleep tonight myself :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 TowlieMcD

sweet jesus.....ITS TOMORROW!!!

Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

NeverTry wrote: »
    I hear that there are a lot of college students repeating the test (esp in NUIG).
    I'm doing Med in NUIG and I don't know of many repeating,only one in fact.What makes you say this?Just curious:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 NeverTry

I'm doing Med in NUIG and I don't know of many repeating,only one in fact.What makes you say this?Just curious:D

My friend who's studying science in Galway lives with 2 repeating, and also knows 8 more. And that is only one person. I just thought a lot would repeat on hearing this!

If you're IN med, people in your class won't be repeating! It's the dentists, physiotherapists, radiation therapists, biochemists etc that will be repeating.

It's not mentioned much, but age is a big advantage in hpat. A whole extra year of "wide and critical reading" and (health) science study has got to make a difference in section one and two.

In the past, people repeated their leavings to get into med. This year, it seems more people took college places and decided to repeat the hpat only.

I've heard that dental schools are quite worried that they will lose a good number of their second years.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FreeT

Hey guys, just done the normal sample paper here and didn't do the best :S

Anyway, I went back over the answers, but I still can't figure out questions 35 and 44.

It's kinda annoying me, so any help would be nice.

Good luck tomorrow everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

If you're IN med, people in your class won't be repeating! It's the dentists, physiotherapists, radiation therapists, biochemists etc that will be repeating.

That's my point.I'm very skeptital about this theory that there are 10 people from my class who are doing the Hpat again.the only reason to do it would be to move to Dublin or Cork and I don't even know if there are 10 people in my class from Dublin or Cork.I wouldn't worrry too much about college students doing the Hpat though.I'd sat there will be about as many this year as there were last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

I wonder what the highest score was last year?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement