Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything HPAT and medicine for 2010 (R1 points post #1247)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cweeva

So much for trying to forget about it, I keep coming back to this thread for more!
    Section 2 was definetly harder than the practise tests... as for 1 and 2, I just don't know. Sigh.

Anyone know what date the results are?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭shamoono

I really did take my time on first 30 questions in section 1
    I'm thinking i got 80 percent of all that right, and had an intelligent guess on the rest( 10 minutes left)

I found section 2 easy but again took my time got to actually answer first 26 properly and intelligent guesses on the rest.

Same for section 3 took my time made sure everything is right got 20/30 of the questions answered properly.

If you all are thinking 'what the hell was i thinking' well i thought it's better off answering first three quarters of the sections perfectly rather than rushing through everything.

Anybody else do this? Also found this year's HPAT easier than last year's.

cweeva wrote: »
    So much for trying to forget about it, I keep coming back to this thread for more!
    Section 2 was definetly harder than the practise tests... as for 1 and 2, I just don't know. Sigh.

Anyone know what date the results are?

Results are the day after, the leaving cert finishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IronGirl92

I can't even tell if I did well or not! :rolleyes: Top of my pencil was well chewed by the end of it though! Was good on my timing aswel, didn't actually feel that long of a time! Was raging with section 3 though, my next of pattern was hardly ever an option. :rolleyes: Until June 28th I'm forgetting about it anyway, time to concentrate on the other exams!!

Lol I was going to try and forget about the HPAT till then by drinking and laying back tonight but I am really tired.

Did you guys notice people from England aswell here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

Would the majority agree that Section 1 was difficult to complete on time? And that ACER will prob put the most weight on the last few questions of that section because of that?

ummtea wrote: »
    Would the majority agree that Section 1 was difficult to complete on time? And that ACER will prob put the most weight on the last few questions of that section because of that?

yeah.. I was thinking that on the way home. and then realised it would've been quite smart to start on the last questions because of that..
    Pity I didn't think of it sooner.. oh well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

By how much are the points likely to go up this year compared to last year? Ive read that they should only go up by one or two points. Like last year the minimum one could get into medicine with 600 points was 153, but I heard today from my friend that it could go up to 170!:confused: Is this true?? I know its a possibility, we cant predict anything with the HPAT, but is it probable?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭SnowPretzel

Xtina!! wrote: »
    By how much are the points likely to go up this year compared to last year? Ive read that they should only go up by one or two points. Like last year the minimum one could get into medicine with 600 points was 153, but I heard today from my friend that it could go up to 170!:confused: Is this true?? I know its a possibility, we cant predict anything with the HPAT, but is it probable?

Nah,if anything they'll go up 1/2 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

Section 1: Pretty good, finished in time. Nothing really tricky

Section 2: Annoying...Like what the hell was that Aunt question?! Da f*ck!

Section 3: Tasty section. First few Qs were daunting but the rest were pretty easy.

...Still don't really know where I stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

It was ridiculously like last years test. That whole passage and questions about the 2 aunties was the exact same as last year. That hand thing was one of the noticeable things from last year too (I actually figured it out this time :D)

Even performance wise i did the exact same in each section - didnt finish section 1 or 2 but had time left over in 3. I even feel the same as I did then! Will be interested in comparing this years and last years score come June.

Trinity was also a bit of a dissaster. Someone got the wrong booklet which messed up the numbering for everyone after them and that took a while to get sorted. It was like pass the parcel with exam booklets and I ended up with the one I started with.

cweeva wrote: »
    yeah.. I was thinking that on the way home. and then realised it would've been quite smart to start on the last questions because of that..
    Pity I didn't think of it sooner.. oh well!

Not to worry anyways! They can't put all of the heavy weighted q's to the end! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

I started on the last question in each section :p, still got them wrong though I think .... Still it wasn't as bad as I thought, just hope that the 20 questions I guessed was correct (I literally had no time left and just circled random ovals).

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

I started on the last question too. Figured a lot of people wouldnt get that far and theyd have more wieght... but if everyone did it, it kind of negates the effect! :p

ahh so if a lot of people did start on the last questions... then the first and the last could be weighted equally. or at least i'll tell myself that... positive thinking! ;)

no matter the weight or whether last questions were much harder.
    So either start from Question one or the last one in each section, you would answer a small amount of hard questions, or a large amount of easy questions.
    It really does sound the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FreeT

Just back from Galway and I was extremely disappointed with the lack of spontaneous lap dancing! :D

Anyway, did anyone else feel we were sitting waiting for a pointlessly long time? I went into the exam hall at 10:00 sharp and we didn't start for nearly an hour! About 10:30 I tried to grab a quick nap just from pure boredom!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Dubs wrote: »
    It was ridiculously like last years test. That whole passage and questions about the 2 aunties was the exact same as last year. That hand thing was one of the noticeable things from last year too (I actually figured it out this time :D)
    The bee question too!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

Did mine in TCD, I was the guy at the back who didn't get an exam booklet at the start!

The exam went as follows...

Section 1: Pretty good, finished in time. Nothing really tricky

Section 2: Annoying...Like what the hell was that Aunt question?! Da f*ck!?

Section 3: Tasty section. First few Qs were slightly daunting but the rest were pretty easy.

...Still don't really know where I stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 MadRush

The mosquito and classroom questions in section 1 freaked me out.......spent the last minute frantically putting in answers for the last ten questions.....section 2 and 3 weren't bad, had just about time to finish them properly.........roll on the leaving!

• Advertisement

FreeT wrote: »
    Just back from Galway and I was extremely disappointed with the lack of spontaneous lap dancing! :D

Anyway, did anyone else feel we were sitting waiting for a pointlessly long time? I went into the exam hall at 10:00 sharp and we didn't start for nearly an hour! About 10:30 I tried to grab a quick nap just from pure boredom!:o

I know I feel like I let everybody down! The woman who was in charge looked like she would have enjoyed it :p jk...But yeah we were waiting for ages! But everyone was so quiet. Where were you sitting?

What was the mosquito question again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

In my opinion it was run much more efficiently than last year. I was waiting about for a good hour, hour and a half....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 NeverTry

Ok I was seriously surprised today in Galway! 5 minutes before the test started I looked around and saw a load of people crying! CRYING! I stopped that 13 years ago. It's only a test. What's going to happen when these if they qualify as doctors, when they will be meeting dying people every week. If you cry over being nervous about a stupid aptitude test, what happens when your working on a life saving operation in an operating theatre?

If I had my way, crying should lead to automatic failure. I'm not a bad person, but I thought it was priceless. I looked around and I actually started laughing. I thought it was great, I felt confident then. People knew I was laughing at them too. I can tell you one thing, if I do get into med, I wont go to Galway as I thought doctors were sophisticated people.

Anyway the test went rather well for me.

Section 1 was good, I didn't run out of time
    Section 2 was a piece of cake
    Section 3 was the hardest imo, but still doable.

Oh yeah I was disappointed there was no lapdance in NUIG, but some of the women there today were stunning, so its all good!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭SnowPretzel

there was a male and female mosquito (bee?) and female could only give birth to a female and you had to match the bees to the family chart....or something....:o

Oh yeah they were bees!:p Mosquitos?...I started worrying there for a sec...

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

NeverTry wrote: »
    Ok I was seriously surprised today in Galway! 5 minutes before the test started I looked around and saw a load of people crying! CRYING! I stopped that 13 years ago. It's only a test. What's going to happen when these if they qualify as doctors, when they will be meeting dying people every week. If you cry over being nervous about a stupid aptitude test, what happens when your working on a life saving operation in an operating theatre?

If I had my way, crying should lead to automatic failure. I'm not a bad person, but I thought it was priceless. I looked around and I actually started laughing. I thought it was great, I felt confident then. People knew I was laughing at them too. I can tell you one thing, if I do get into med, I wont go to Galway as I thought doctors were sophisticated people.
    And in medicine you also have to empathetic. The HPAT can be fairly intimidating, it's a fairly different experience for people (I'm sure you all know by now!) and can leave people on edge. Crying is perhaps a bit of an over-reaction, but I can understand why people would feel nervous or apprehensive on the day. Nothing wrong with it as long as you don't smudge the answer booklet! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gf89

Dubs wrote: »

That aunties one confused me so much, had to keep rereading it to figure out who was talking and what was going on.. think my brain was a bit fried :rolleyes:
    What did you get for those answers? the example in the hands one just didnt make sense to me so i just guessed it..

• Registered Users Posts: 49 TowlieMcD

NeverTry wrote: »

If I had my way, crying should lead to automatic failure.

Hahaha. I was there but i didn't see anyone crying!?
    No offence to anyone there(oh and yes there were a few savage women there!)
    but there were a lot of dopey looking people there....wait a minute that is offensive:P... still there were a few people and in your head your like "Really??Is this really the career for you?" Still though,it'll probably be those people that beat everyone else and get the places!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 fairygirlx

Am I the only one who found section 1 REEAAALLY difficult?!? :(

Section 2 - pretty easy
    Section 3 - partial guesswork, partially easy.

Feeling pretty down right now because I feel I'm capable of achieving above 550 in the leaving cert but I think the Hpat really let me down. :(

There goes the dream anyway! :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement