Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything HPAT and medicine for 2010 (R1 points post #1247)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cweeva

galway aswell... lots of pointless waiting around but could have been worse!!
    haha i was looking around wondering who the potential lapdancer might be, and if there was any boardsies around, passed the time!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

fairygirlx wrote: »
    Am I the only one who found section 1 REEAAALLY difficult?!? :(

Section 2 - pretty easy
    Section 3 - partial guesswork, partially easy.

Feeling pretty down right now because I feel I'm capable of achieving above 550 in the leaving cert but I think the Hpat really let me down. :(

There goes the dream anyway! :(

This is like the worst thing you can do! Dont start thinking that theres no hope left to get in, because chances are you did fine! There's no point in worrying about it now, whats done is done and we'll find out how we did come June. Just dont be in a bad frame of mind for the next 3 months studying for the leaving, because it will really affect your study and general attitude to the leaving!

Worst comes to worse (and dont go thinking that it will!!), you study, you get the high points you think your capable of getting in the leaving, get a nice college course as a safety and you repeat just the hpat next year. That doesnt sound too bad to me, and trust me, its better than repeating both.

Moral of the story, no more hpat post mortems for you and dont give up on the leaving cert because it can still happen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

shamoono wrote: »
    Did you guys notice people from England aswell here?

A few people from the North, England and various EU countries (Belgium, Austria etc) are in my class, they all sat the HPAT last year. Not really unusual.
    Dubs wrote: »
    It was ridiculously like last years test. That whole passage and questions about the 2 aunties was the exact same as last year. That hand thing was one of the noticeable things from last year too (I actually figured it out this time :D)

Wow! That's really lazy on behalf of ACER, isn't it?
    It puts repeaters at a bit of an advantage too, perhaps, which is a bit meh. I was flicking through the thread and read the "Aunt" thing and the whole passage came back to me from last year, I remember being horribly perplexed!
    However, I've friends repeating so I hope it did them the world of good!

To anyone upset over how they did, don't be! It's impossible to know how you did, you'll just have to wait and see!
    Also, for Section 3 last year I ran out of time and just filled in random answers at the end, and I *still* got into Medicine.
    Chin up, put it to the back of your minds.

One third of your Leaving Cert is (technically) now done! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I don't see how everyone found the aunt question difficult(suppose I did remember it well from last year:)). That finger one had me bemused though:mad::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IronGirl92

TowlieMcD wrote: »
    Hahaha. I was there but i didn't see anyone crying!?
    No offence to anyone there(oh and yes there were a few savage women there!)
    but there were a lot of dopey looking people there....wait a minute that is offensive:P... still there were a few people and in your head your like "Really??Is this really the career for you?" Still though,it'll probably be those people that beat everyone else and get the places!:)

Was sat right infront of the doors where people were coming in to find their seats, got a good look of everyone pretty much and thought that quite a few times!!! :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

Did anyone else notice that the question about heavy and light drinkers was the same as last year too?:p I know I recognised it from somewhere...

I dont think repeats are that much of an advantage because we saw them last year, chances are we may have made the same mistakes again!:rolleyes:

I think the confusing thing for me anyway about the auntie question is that there were four people in it and I had to keep refering back to the start to remind myself who was who.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

bythewoods wrote: »
    Just thought I'd pop in and offer a few titbits of last minute really obvious advice-

Get plenty of sleep tonight!
    Get to your exam centre on plenty of time (I remember leaving way in advance for mine last year, and then running in at the last minute because we couldn't find the school it was on in ... :rolleyes: )
    Don't stress! It's not worth the stress, go in nice and calm and you'll do much better!
    Don't compare answers or whatever with people at the end... just go home and comfort eat.

Most importantly- Don't feel down afterwards. I felt a little crap after mine, but there's really no way of telling how you did. I was convinced for months I'd done pretty terribly, and long story short, I'm now enjoying my First Year of Medicine in Trinity :)

So, best of luck to everyone, and I'll hopefully be seeing some of you in the wonderful TCD next year :)

Well done bythewoods. What DID you actually get in your HPAT last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gem2010

stainluss wrote: »
    Section A - Easy, but i ran out of time for the last 4 (put CCCC on ans paper)
    Section B - Not too hard
    Section C - :eek::mad: Anybody Else Find This Ridiculously Hard? Way harder than the practice paper!I got about 5 Out of 30... :(

THANK YOU,
    ooooh my god I thought it was ridiculous, and I'm usually good at those types of questions, I ended up putting C for the like the first 20 answers, I literally only 'knew' 5 of them for sure, it was horrible !

I thought section 1 was grand, fairly handy and got them all done in time.
    Section 2 was a bit ambiguous at times... some random guesses there
    Section 3 = SICK JOKE

Anyone else sit the exam in Trinity and think it was ridiculous that there was ONE CLOCK in the entire exam hall that wasnt visible to like most people. It was a sick joke, UCD exams always have tons of clocks, in every few rows on stands. Thats how exams are supposed to be organised, it was a disgrace ! Haha, but hilarious watching the invigilators trying to right the mess they made with the booklets lol

Haha yeah, I was there. The main invigilator did seem a bit 'all over the place'. Was it just me or did she keep saying 'HTAP'? Sounded funny! XD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Freakin4Leavin

Whats the aunt question? Its not ringing any bells anyone wanna remind me?

Haha yeah was in ucd o reilly sum1 put the answer sheet in the booklet theres always one :D haha
    I quite liked o reilly hall :D lots of clocks! and im happy that the beeping of all the clocks didnt distract me too much!
    Section 1: Was grand but had to guess the last 5 as ran outta time
    Section 2: Jst about finished cus i took my time, some were quite tricky!
    Section 3: I tended to narrow it down to two, then i found it hard to pick which one! Others were grand and i spotted the patterns! Had to guess last 5 as well cus ran outta time :O

I know !! she did !

and there was ONE TOILET for everybody too, like, wtf !!!

Whats the aunt question? Its not ringing any bells anyone wanna remind me?

Haha yeah was in ucd o reilly sum1 put the answer sheet in the booklet theres always one :D haha
    I quite liked o reilly hall :D lots of clocks! and im happy that the beeping of all the clocks didnt distract me too much!
    Section 1: Was grand but had to guess the last 5 as ran outta time
    Section 2: Jst about finished cus i took my time, some were quite tricky!
    Section 3: I tended to narrow it down to two, then i found it hard to pick which one! Others were grand and i spotted the patterns! Had to guess last 5 as well cus ran outta time :O

Yeah I know, I am in final year in UCD and its lovely with all the clocks for exams, that's what I was expecting for today but no, stinky trinity and their one clock and their one toilet. absolute joke. I didnt even have a watch like !

The aunt one that everyones talking about is I think the one where two sisters go to live with their aunts who were sisters,, and the wedding invitation etc...? is it?

Ugh section three was horrible shhhhhh

gem2010 wrote: »
    Haha, but hilarious watching the invigilators trying to right the mess they made with the booklets lol
    It was unbelievable, mine got changed 5 times, only for me to end up with the one i started with. Everyone getting up to check there phones at the same time was pretty funny too :P

I was lucky enough to be up at the front so not seeing the clock wasnt a problem for me thank god... still didnt get the first 2 sections fully finshed though. 10:47, what an awkward time to start at!

Dubs wrote: »
    It was unbelievable, mine got changed 5 times, only for me to end up with the one i started with. Everyone getting up to check there phones at the same time was pretty funny too :P

I was lucky enough to be up at the front so not seeing the clock wasnt a problem for me thank god... still didnt get the first 2 sections fully finshed though. 10:47, what an awkward time to start at!

I know, the invigilator in our row (left two rows) was so confused ! I literally had to tell him what to do, he didn't know what was going on with the books at all! :)

Yeah, haha, she said that, and everyone go up and then you could see she immediately regretted saying it lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 erica!

Ohhh its so hard to tell how you did!!.... like in my opinion that was a disaster... But then when i did my practise test(in exam conditions how sad...) i taut i did really bad and i got like 201/300 so im tryin to be optomistic!:) i really didnt think the aunt question was too bad? i reckon section 2 is my best though i guessed everyone of the middle of sequence:eek: ha.... the rest of it was ok though!.... Didnt get the thing wit the hands or the thing wit the wing lenght and that... more random guessing! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FreeT

ummtea wrote: »
    I know I feel like I let everybody down! The woman who was in charge looked like she would have enjoyed it :p jk...But yeah we were waiting for ages! But everyone was so quiet. Where were you sitting?

I was about half way down row 4, maybe a bit closer to the back, and I was the guy looking bored before the exam!

Cá raibh tusa?

I felt pretty crap coming out of that exam, thought it was much harder than in the practice tests. Section 1 wasn't too bad but I realised I was going to run out of time, so I guessed 6 Qs then answered the last 4 which didn't have as much reading to do. Section 2 wasn't too bad, as it's my best section, but I deffo thought it was much tougher than the real thing, and I wasn't as confident about my answers as I usually would be. Section 3 was a disaster, I felt like I was guessing every question :|

But afterwards my friends threw me a surprise 18th party which cheered me up lots :) They even got me a kiddy play doctor set with plastic stethoscopes and such :P

gem2010 wrote: »
    I know, the invigilator in our row (left two rows) was so confused ! I literally had to tell him what to do, he didn't know what was going on with the books at all! :)

Ye I was in the second row from the left, he was pretty all over the place. It was pretty annoying when they started putting down the blinds half way through.
    But afterwards my friends through me a surprise 18th party which cheered me up lots :) They even got me a kiddy play doctor set with plastic stethoscopes and such :P
    Happy birthday, hope you had a good one after the dark and dreariness that was the hpat :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 psychoduck

well, section 1 wasnt too bad, section 2 was harder than in the samples, every question was more or less 50:50 for me. i didnt find the aunts question hard, but the first one with that woman with eating disorders freaked me out a bit. and section 3... fail. i was disappointed, because i thought i would do well in that picture sequence stuff, but i guess i didnt get right more than 10 questions from it. well, we'll see in june.

does anybody know how many people sat the HPAT this year? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

To be fair to UCD the whole thing was very well organised and, thankfully, very warm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 CouldBe

Argh, the suspense is already killing me... how are we meant to last all the way to June 28??

CouldBe wrote: »
    Argh, the suspense is already killing me... how are we meant to last all the way to June 28??

It gets easier everyday..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cweeva

psychoduck wrote: »

does anybody know how many people sat the HPAT this year? :rolleyes:

think about 4000... I'm guessing that because the numbers were from like 100004 to 104005 i think!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

FreeT wrote: »
    I was about half way down row 4, maybe a bit closer to the back, and I was the guy looking bored before the exam!

Cá raibh tusa?
    Row 5...middle/closer to the front. I didn't see a single person crying though! What was going with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Yeah I was in Galway too and saw nobody crying! I was in room 34 however and I went in only about 10 mins before the exam so I may have missed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

darragh-k wrote: »
    Yeah I was in Galway too and saw nobody crying! I was in room 34 however and I went in only about 10 mins before the exam so I may have missed it
    It's terrible that people were crying, I feel sorry for them...but at the same time - get it together. Imagine if there were guys crying too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 princess764

Saw no one crying in Galway (thank God). Section 1: not so bad Section 2: harder then samples Section 3: What the hell??!! I swear I've invented shapes and patterns that don't exist. By the end d only logic I was using was saying to myself "D hasn't been the answer in a while, therefor it is d"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fluffy2213

i found section 1 and 2 fairly handy but section 3 was DISMAL!! is there a cut off point that if you get below a certain number in a section you don't qualify to be considered for medicine?? I find the whole system very confusing!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

This thread is quite reassuring. Everyone seems to be as WTF about the whole thing as I am!

I found Section 2 really difficult... I mean it's easy when you're doing it but as in the sample paper, I'd think I got all the answers right no bother and then most of them wold be wrong. Bleh.

I can't wait any longer for the results! I need to know!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement