Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything HPAT and medicine for 2010 (R1 points post #1247)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

This is a link to a site that shows graphs on raw scores. This way you can kind of guess and see how well you might do.

http://www.medstudentsonline.com.au/showthread.php?t=8897

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

I found section 1 to be horrible!! I spent way too long on one question despite drilling my times, and ended up guessing at least 10 answers in a rush! Section 2 I was ok with, not 100% as I have a sneaking suspicion I souldn't have said the son though his mum was an alchoholic, and the patient wasn't trrying to show his thanks for his wife's support, and section 3 was fairly ok-ish, middle of the sequence were all pretty much guessed, but figured most of the rest out I think (and hope!!). That said I've spent the last 2 hours coming up with potential marking schemes and driving myself mad with it... roll on the 28th *panics*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Here, what's everyone's contingency plan??

As in, if you get a reasonable amount of points but don't get a good HPAT what will you do? Take a year out and repeat? (could get bored) Or go and do Pharmacy or something for a year and repeat the HPAT? (would be expensive) Or repeat the LC year altogether? (boring, depressing AND expensive)

Hopefully I don't need to be making plans like this but you never know what went wrong :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cweeva

Probably do another course like pharmacy or human health and disease and repeat the hpat... assuming of course I do good enough in the aul LC.
    *fingers crossed*
    Wouldn't be able to bring myself to repeat, it's a last last last resort...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 princess764

God repeating sounds awful. Fair play to anyone doing it! If this doesn't work out I'm thinking something science and try to get in that way. Could never bring myself to learn new English texts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

God repeating sounds awful. Fair play to anyone doing it! If this doesn't work out I'm thinking something science and try to get in that way. Could never bring myself to learn new English texts...

Oh god I know. Then again, I'd rather that than be doing a degree I don't care about for 3-4 years.. :(

In an ideal world, we'll all get it this time around! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Zenith23 wrote: »
    This is a link to a site that shows graphs on raw scores. This way you can kind of guess and see how well you might do.

http://www.medstudentsonline.com.au/showthread.php?t=8897
    That websites pretty interesting. Check out the forum for the UMAT. They all seem to practice like feck. Also big improvements among them, some going up by 20/30 points!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 princess764

zam wrote: »

In an ideal world, we'll all get it this time around! :D

I'm loving this ideal world! Let's move there! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Bradence93!

is it to late to apply to medicine???:S

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

is it to late to apply to medicine???:S

Yep. The HPAT takes place once a year only. Medicine is a "restricted course", meaning you have to apply earlier than other courses to allow for additional entry requirements, like the HPAT or interviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 horner

I found the HPAT ok.. 2nd section was hardest compared to practice test me thinks..

Can i ask a question here? I know its a little off topic

Say Trinity are accepting people with 725 points this year.. (HPAT+LC) Does that mean EVERYONE above 725 will get an offer ie. Someone with 726, or is it a lottery system? Thank you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

horner wrote: »
    I found the HPAT ok.. 2nd section was hardest compared to practice test me thinks..

Can i ask a question here? I know its a little off topic

Say Trinity are accepting people with 725 points this year.. (HPAT+LC) Does that mean EVERYONE above 725 will get an offer ie. Someone with 726, or is it a lottery system? Thank you all!
    Everyone with TCD as their highest preference and a score above or equal to (unless there's a * beside the number) will get an offer. It's the exact same as the normal LC points system.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

zam wrote: »
    225 apparently!

Also heard that one guy doing medicine at the moment got into TCD on something like 510 points! Crazy.

Highest score was apparently 230 but that person did not get into medicine-perhaps chose another course???

Highest reported successful score was 225 so potential for 490LC +225 hpat to get most medical courses.

Lowest hpat score was 153 + 560 LC which made NUIG ( cantona56-how are you?!!)

So you have got a huge variety of ways of succeeding so Best of Luck with LC.

Irish examiner does state lowest LC was 520 so you do need to concentrate on that!!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/snidididau/rss2/

Ps I do think it unfair that the exam takes place same time as most mocks-why it can't be September I do not understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cantona56

drrkpd wrote: »
    Highest score was apparently 230 but that person did not get into medicine-perhaps chose another course???

Highest reported successful score was 213 so potential for 490LC +213 hpat to get NUIG or RCSI.

Lowest hpat score was 152 + 560 LC which made NUIG ( cantona56-how are you?!!)

So you have got a huge variety of ways of succeeding so Best of Luck with LC.

Ps I do think it unfair that the exam takes place same time as most mocks-why it can't be September I do not understand

Hey drrkpd.....yep i just got in by the skin of my teeth, people got in on 712 though after but i think my Hpat score was the lowest....was a blessing in disguise really as i got NUIG ( my third choice) and i absolutely love it here...people are great and the course is fantastic too, was worth all the hard work.....just a word of advice to everyone to completely forget about the Hpat now and focus on the leaving as that still accounts for the most points...worst thing you could do is give up on medicine now...if ya work hard enough it will work out in the end. Oh and the highest Hpat i know was 217, a guy in my class which was 100 percentile but i think there was higher again. How are you getting on drrkpd???

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Gillwill

Anyone on the baords a mature student that sat the HPAT?? Do they release scores for mature students early so we can be called for an interview??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gf89

anyone interested in setting up a poll of practice test scores out of 110.. that way we can get an idea of where we stand relative to everyone else? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

cantona56 wrote: »
    Hey drrkpd.....yep i just got in by the skin of my teeth, people got in on 712 though after but i think my Hpat score was the lowest....was a blessing in disguise really as i got NUIG ( my third choice) and i absolutely love it here...people are great and the course is fantastic too, was worth all the hard work.....just a word of advice to everyone to completely forget about the Hpat now and focus on the leaving as that still accounts for the most points...worst thing you could do is give up on medicine now...if ya work hard enough it will work out in the end. Oh and the highest Hpat i know was 217, a guy in my class which was 100 percentile but i think there was higher again. How are you getting on drrkpd???

Totally agree with cantona- you MUST get at least 520 LC points if similar to next year and as you can succeed with 153 and 560 LC all to play for.
    So forget it and concentrate on LC

PS as cantona now knows no-one cares how you got into medical school- you start with a clean slate and you are judged on how you do in your course!!
    am well and delighted you are enjoying it- pre-med great choice for most people!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 CouldBe

Is it true it was pretty much the same test as last year? Or was it just a few questions that were the same?? It wouldn't be that fair now if they hadn't changed it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ev.daly

I agree with u!
    like i want to know were we stand now? its tough! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bleh!

CouldBe wrote: »
    Is it true it was pretty much the same test as last year? Or was it just a few questions that were the same?? It wouldn't be that fair now if they hadn't changed it...

No, very few were similar to last year and they never published that paper too nor the answers to it. I guess it puts repeats at a very slight advantage in terms of familiarity with the question but who knows(as somebody said already) we might have just made the same mistakes again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

Repeating is an absolute last resort for me, couldn't bring myself to do it - it would probably kill me :P Fair play to anyone who is repeating, I admire you! If I don't get Medicine, I'd be happy to do Pharmacy but then I'll probably do Med as a graduate, if I get in!

Repeating is an absolute last resort for me, couldn't bring myself to do it - it would probably kill me :P Fair play to anyone who is repeating, I admire you! If I don't get Medicine, I'd be happy to do Pharmacy but then I'll probably do Med as a graduate, if I get in!

Repeating's not that bad, actually. If you're determined to do medicine - truly determined - then you'll do it. You won't settle for 2nd best - Pharmacy, Human Health and Disease, Dentistry etc. You'll work for medicine until you get medicine. If you start settling at our age then it's unlikely you'll ever become anything truly great or even live up to your full potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bleh!

It isn't too bad to repeat the HPAT on its own too, so at least now you have that option :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Just a quick Q! Say if someone didn't get into Medicine, even though they got 6 A1's in the LC, but were only a few points off in the HPAT-would you have to repeat the whole LC and re-do the HPAT, or could you keep the LC you have and go for the HPAT on it's own?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

no of course you wouldn't have to repeat the leaving. you have the option of just doing your hpat the next year. that's what alot of people this year have done

zoom! wrote: »
    no of course you wouldn't have to repeat the leaving. you have the option of just doing your hpat the next year. that's what alot of people this year have done

Myself included XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gem2010

Dubs wrote: »
    Ye I was in the second row from the left, he was pretty all over the place. It was pretty annoying when they started putting down the blinds half way through.

unbelievable ! I didnt' realise what the noise was for ages and thought it was like air conditioning or something and i was like you've GOT to be kidding,, it completely distracted me !!!

They really should have some sort of standard in place for the test centre locations and invilgilators! This year I was lucky, the centre I was in was class, but last year I was in the RDS which not only started 2 hours late, and was as organised as a class of toddlers hepped on sugar, (phones going off during the test on peoples desks, people being told off mid test they had the wrong id with them...and so much more! ) but it may as well have been a freezer it was so cold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gem2010

Jessibelle wrote: »
    They really should have some sort of standard in place for the test centre locations and invilgilators! This year I was lucky, the centre I was in was class, but last year I was in the RDS which not only started 2 hours late, and was as organised as a class of toddlers hepped on sugar, (phones going off during the test on peoples desks, people being told off mid test they had the wrong id with them...and so much more! ) but it may as well have been a freezer it was so cold!

I agree. I emailed to complain. (you have seven days to do this). To be fair, I've had all my college exams in the RDS and it's usually great,, very well organised, but that's probably more down to UCD than anything else. Always warm, tons of clocks, everyone has done it before so knows the drills, phones off, on the floor, student card on your desk, etc etc

I thought the HPAT (in trinity) was a joke. So poorly organised, and what were they thinking !!?? one toilet? for everybody? and one clock? How is it fair that other people got to do it in UCD where the facilities were great, their bladders were empty, and they could keep track of their time !??

I hope they sort it out for next years group, which is why I emailed them...

• Advertisement

I wonder if you complained would it have any impact if you had to query your end result? I know tons of folk, that felt last years venue (The RDS) had a negative impact on their end results....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement