Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything HPAT and medicine for 2010 (R1 points post #1247)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

I cannot wait for the results to come out! Its impossible (for me anyway!) to know what the score will be like :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Look_Me_Up

Yeah also does anyone know the average HPAT results? i know theyre marked in comparison to others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

Look_Me_Up wrote: »
    Yeah also does anyone know the average HPAT results? i know theyre marked in comparison to others

The average score was around 150.

The points for TCD last year were:
    1st round - 729
    2nd round - 728
    3rd round - 723

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

I cannot wait for the results to come out! Its impossible (for me anyway!) to know what the score will be like :)

Oh god I know. It's impossible! I could've got 100 or 200! I need to know!!

Waiting for the HPAT results is driving me insane. Everytime I try work out my potential LC points I realise that it doesn't really matter coz it depends so much on the HPAT :( Hurry up June 28th!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Waiting for the HPAT results is driving me insane. Everytime I try work out my potential LC points I realise that it doesn't really matter coz it depends so much on the HPAT :( Hurry up June 28th!
    I'm not bothered really. Have a decent one from last year :p

theowen wrote: »
    I'm not bothered really. Have a decent one from last year :p

I'm sure you can remember the trauma! Did you think/know you'd done well after the test and get what you expected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Just wondering all those going for Medicine what your second choices are? Hoping for Science or Biomedical sciences etc? Pharmacy, Dentistry Nursing or something completely different from Medicine?

Just wondering all those going for Medicine what your second choices are? Hoping for Science or Biomedical sciences etc? Pharmacy, Dentistry Nursing or something completely different from Medicine?

I have all the medicines except Galway, and my 5th choice is Psychology and World Religions and Theology in Trinity. After that I have various other TSM combinations and pharmacy and nursing in there too. Not very medicine related, but I'm hoping I won't have to settle for that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

First 5 are Med, next 2 are Pharmacy, then Human Health and Disease in TCD, Biomed in UCD and Biomed in Maynooth. So all very Medicine related - hoping I won't have to think about anything but Med though!! :)

• Advertisement

My back ups are Human Health & Disease in TCD and Biomedical Science in UCD. I think I'd be happy enough in HH&D, but obviously med's the goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IronGirl92

First three are Medicine, then Radiography, Optometry, Radiation Therapy, Human Health and Disease, The Physics and Chemistry of advanced materials, then two general science courses.... So yeah, I'll end up in a medical career in some shape or form!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Adventure wrote: »
    If you are good in honours maths & english you'll do fine in the HPAT.

Thats a total lie, you DO NOT need to be good at honours maths. I do ordinary level maths and I got on fine, the maths is very basic like. Englishs maybe you need to have a good range of vocab, they're mad for throwing up weird words :rolleyes:

My CAO is as follows...
    1.Medicine - UCD
    2.Medicine - NUIG
    3.Physiotherapy - UCD
    4.Human Health and Disease - TCD
    5.Human Genetics - TCD
    6.Neuroscience - UCD
    7.Medicinal Chemistry - TCD
    8.Biochemistry and Molecular Biology - UCD
    9.Medicinal Chemistry and Chemical Biology - UCD
    10.Genetics and Cell Biology - DCU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 XXRachelXX

Haven't really thought about the results yet to be honest, more concerned with getting this Big summer quiz over and done with first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

aine92 wrote: »
    Thats a total lie, you DO NOT need to be good at honours maths. I do ordinary level maths and I got on fine, the maths is very basic like.

But what Adventure said is that if you are good at honors maths you'll do fine. (S)he did not say that if you're not good at honours maths, you won't do fine. So your criticism of the statement is unfounded.
    A => B is not the same thing as (not A) => (not B).

I could be mistaken, but I suspect that the ability to think logically is relevant to HPAT! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

I have just ordered the HPAT sample book off the Irish website! I wasn't sure whether to get that one or the GAMSAT one off the Aussie site-did I do the right thing?:o

Also, does anybody recommend getting the €200 prep distance product off ****?:)

Mayoegian wrote: »
    I have just ordered the HPAT sample book off the Irish website! I wasn't sure whether to get that one or the GAMSAT one off the Aussie site-did I do the right thing?:o

Yes! Apparently one of the UMAT (Australian HPAT) ones is good, but one is the same as the HPAT booklet! So if you need more questions get the other one. Couldn't tell you which one it is though...

I think you should wait til the 28th til we get our results, and see if the **** people did better! It'll be interesting to see :P

zam wrote: »
    Yes! Apparently one of the UMAT (Australian HPAT) ones is good, but one is the same as the HPAT booklet! So if you need more questions get the other one. Couldn't tell you which one it is though...

I think you should wait til the 28th til we get our results, and see if the **** people did better! It'll be interesting to see :P

Thanks a million Zam!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 figiii

zam wrote: »

its the second UMAT book which is different, the first is basically the same as far as i know:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Its kinda necessary to get the hpat sample book, you'll see the exact layout, time allocated for each section, and you get an exact copy of the answer sheet you'll use in the hpat.

I've just finished premed. In my year, most of the people who got in the 90+ percentile didn't do any prep course etc. I can think of 2 people who did some course and did fairly well, but the majority didn't..and we're all the ones who are doing medicine. Not saying you wouldn't find it beneficial, I didn't do one so I've no idea what went on at them, but I got in the 96th percentile so its not an absolute must to get a good result.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Any other Repeat Med-Hopefuls have a grudge against the woman who made us have to matriculate again? :( 'Tis not fair!

I ended up having to do 9 ubjects rather than 6:eek: - Makes for one horrible timetable..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

how many points hpat addes up to your LC ? if you get all anwsers correct ?
    is it really that hard to pass it .. its about logic ,is it not ? it supose to be simple for future med student .. :P i see it this way .. :pac: @

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Duffman'05 wrote: »
    Any other Repeat Med-Hopefuls have a grudge against the woman who made us have to matriculate again? :( 'Tis not fair!

I ended up having to do 9 ubjects rather than 6:eek: - Makes for one horrible timetable..
    Indeed!!

What could possibly be the point of making us do them again:mad:

Stops people sitting all the matric subjects one year and then getting all their points on 'simpler' subjects the next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

aine92 wrote: »
    My CAO is as follows...
    1.Medicine - UCD
    2.Medicine - NUIG
    3.Physiotherapy - UCD
    4.Human Health and Disease - TCD
    5.Human Genetics - TCD
    6.Neuroscience - UCD
    7.Medicinal Chemistry - TCD
    8.Biochemistry and Molecular Biology - UCD
    9.Medicinal Chemistry and Chemical Biology - UCD
    10.Genetics and Cell Biology - DCU

Wow, nearly the same as my CAO :P

About the repeat, what are the matric subjects? Just Maths, english & 2 science?

H2student wrote: »
    Wow, nearly the same as my CAO :P

About the repeat, what are the matric subjects? Just Maths, english & 2 science?
    Irish for NUI colleges too, and a third language...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Thanks for the response :). Just wondering, can that third language be any language? Say Japanese...

As far as I know it can be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

http://www.nuigalway.ie/admissions/documents/2010eumedicalbrochure.pdf

That's the official entry guide to medicine under the new system, and if you look at TCD it simply says they require a HB3 and HC3 from biology, chemistry, physics, chemistry/physics, agricultural science.

What I've only just noticed now is that Qualifax say that TCD don't accept a combo of Ag Science and Biology, but the above document most definitely leads us to believe otherwise.

Is there any chance that qualifax is out of date??:confused::(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement