Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything HPAT and medicine for 2010 (R1 points post #1247)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Duffman'05 wrote: »
    http://www.nuigalway.ie/admissions/documents/2010eumedicalbrochure.pdf

That's the official entry guide to medicine under the new system, and if you look at TCD it simply says they require a HB3 and HC3 from biology, chemistry, physics, chemistry/physics, agricultural science.

What I've only just noticed now is that Qualifax say that TCD don't accept a combo of Ag Science and Biology, but the above document most definitely leads us to believe otherwise.

Is there any chance that qualifax is out of date??:confused::(

They don't accept the combination! Why, do you have it?! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

zam wrote: »
    They don't accept the combination! Why, do you have it?! :(

Yep:(:(

I have chemistry but until I heard this (only last night!!) I was considering dropping it as I only took it up this year and am struggling with it big time!!
    > 1 day to get a C3 in chem to get my course it seems:(:(

Duffman'05 wrote: »
    Yep:(:(

I have chemistry but until I heard this (only last night!!) I was considering dropping it as I only took it up this year and am struggling with it big time!!
    > 1 day to get a C3 in chem to get my course it seems:(:(

Oh no! Well just be happy you didn't drop it. You can get a C3! Just learn the experiments really well ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Trackmedown

i know this probably seems like a stupid question but how do we get our HPAT results like do they email them out or whats the story??

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dobh

online is the place where you get your results

• Advertisement

The results are getting closer and closer......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

You'll get an email telling you when your results are out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

Areq wrote: »
    how many points hpat addes up to your LC ? if you get all anwsers correct ?
    is it really that hard to pass it .. .. :pac: @

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It's not really about passing it, Areq.

The LC points (capped at 560) and HPAT points (theoretically to a max. of 300, but I haven't heard of anyone coming even close to that) are added to give a joint score which the CAO then uses to rank applicants, in much the same way as they would normally use the LC points alone.

It's not really about passing it, Areq.

The LC points (capped at 560) and HPAT points (theoretically to a max. of 300, but I haven't heard of anyone coming even close to that) are added to give a joint score which the CAO then uses to rank applicants, in much the same way as they would normally use the LC points alone.
    alr thanks,
    makes some sence .. but hpat is bull**** anyway . .. :P

• Advertisement

Areq wrote: »
    alr thanks,
    makes some sence .. but hpat is bull**** anyway . .. :P

It's way better than having to get 580 to get into Trinity! I like the HPAT, but I probably won't be saying that when we get our results...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Hi, just another quick Q!
    I'm thinking of getting the **** distance prep package, but I'm not totally sure what that is like. Do you get the 10 practise booklets in the post, or do you do them online? I'd really appreciate it if somebody could tell me what this package is like!

Thank you!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Mayoegian wrote: »
    Hi, just another quick Q!
    I'm thinking of getting the **** distance prep package, but I'm not totally sure what that is like. Do you get the 10 practise booklets in the post, or do you do them online? I'd really appreciate it if somebody could tell me what this package is like!

Thank you!:)

All of their material is completely online-based as far as I can remember.

What you guys think about IOE Course for h-pat ? does it really help?
    how much was it for the 2 days ? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

So our results are definitely coming by e-mail and we'll get that e-mail on Monday?

Someone I was talking to said she got hers in the post last year

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

Yes, they send you an email. And in that email there is a link. And in that link there is a page. And on that page you enter your email address and candidate id. And when you enter them and you click 'Get Results' you are brought to a magical place where you shall see your results.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

where's you candidate id? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 psychoduck

i'm getting very nervous. only few more days to go! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bleh!

5 days-ish left! The days seem to get longer and longer :( Anyway, out of boredom I found this: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0623/1224273111447.html

It says: 'Those behind the study, published in the latest edition of the Irish Medical Journal , say the scores achieved by consultant surgeons were surprising and suggest the HPAT exam does not measure what it purports to measure.' Interestinggg :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

I also read in the paper that last year there was a record number of guys who got in and very few girls!

As someone who has sat the hpat, I dont personally see how it favours guys, but I'll update that on Monday :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

!?! wrote: »
    where's you candidate id? :p

Don't do that!? I was sweating for a minute because I forgot my canidate Id no. Thankfully, I don't delete my e-mails and found it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

aine92 wrote: »
    I also read in the paper that last year there was a record number of guys who got in and very few girls!

As someone who has sat the hpat, I dont personally see how it favours guys, but I'll update that on Monday :rolleyes:
    Well the leaving cert tends to favour girls so consider the hpat as evening things up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Best of luck to all of you receiving HPAT results, I hope your hard work will be rewarded!

bleh! wrote: »
    5 days-ish left! The days seem to get longer and longer :( Anyway, out of boredom I found this: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0623/1224273111447.html

It says: 'Those behind the study, published in the latest edition of the Irish Medical Journal , say the scores achieved by consultant surgeons were surprising and suggest the HPAT exam does not measure what it purports to measure.' Interestinggg :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I'm getting serious deja vu seeing this...

I think they're ignoring another, more catastrophic possibility - perhaps the consultants and the like who did badly in the HPAT are actually just useless? It's not like the HSE has a bad reputation for no good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

jumpguy wrote: »
    I think they're ignoring another, more catastrophic possibility - perhaps the consultants and the like who did badly in the HPAT are actually just useless? It's not like the HSE has a bad reputation for no good reason.

I think the biggest problem is that their results are exactly meaningless. Bizarrely, they didn't administer the HPAT itself, just a handful of sample questions with no test validity. And let's ignore the fact that these people would have matriculated anyway once you factor in their presumably high LC scores. Perhaps most damningly of all, there were no significant differences between consultant surgeons, NCHDs or med students - didn't stop the authors arguing the exact opposite!

There are heaps of other scientific flaws in this 'study' that limit the ability to generalize to virtually nothing, but I think they show their true colours in the discussion where their contempt for HPAT is laid bare. These guys had a very clear agenda against the test, then cobbled together a weak scientific investigation to fit around their preconceived biases. It's a sad reflection on science and looks very bad, IMO, for the Irish Medical Journal whose reviewer(s) let it through without asking for a discussion, at minimum, of its scientific limitations. It's practically an opinion piece.

For the record, I'm not a fan of HPAT. But then, I'm not a fan of the LC either. I'm just tired of of people using a thin veneer of science, the noble art of impartial investigation, to add authority to their unfounded opinions.

Edit: Study is here btw:
    http://www.imj.ie//ViewArticleDetails.aspx?ArticleID=5733

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Eh, just say somebody deleted all their emails by accident and doesn't have their candidate id, how can they get it back??

• Registered Users Posts: 29 blogger 3000

Last year, a lot of people had the mistaken assumption that points for medicine would come significantly down, whereas I have the impression that only very few got in with under 550 points. If people realise that it's still just as hard (harder?) to get in, will fewer people bother with the HPAT?

ah no, the LC points haven't come down cos people with lower points are getting in at the expense of higher achievers.
    I know lots of people in med in UCC an very few got 575 points which is what it was originally an what in my opinion it still should be.
    550 points as the target is a big drop in points like, and there are loadsa people who got in with only 550 or less, the lowest was 510 an loads got in with only 520,530 an 540 aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 xdublingirlx

if you lost your candidate id number it doesnt matter, you will get an email when the results are out to tell you how to download them and also how to retrive you candidate id number if you have lost it!

550 points as the target is a big drop in points like, and there are loadsa people who got in with only 550 or less, the lowest was 510 an loads got in with only 520,530 an 540 aswell
    Any exact figure and source? I very much doubt that "loads" got in with less than 540, at the most. Only a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Junior D wrote: »
    Eh, just say somebody deleted all their emails by accident and doesn't have their candidate id, how can they get it back??
    if you lost your candidate id number it doesnt matter, you will get an email when the results are out to tell you how to download them and also how to retrive you candidate id number if you have lost it!
    That's not much good for change-of-mind though ...

Junior, go to the log-in page on the CAO website here.

Beside where you would normally enter your application number / candidate ID, there is a "Help!" link ... click and follow the instructions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement