Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything HPAT and medicine for 2010 (R1 points post #1247)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Where does everyone here want to do medicine, out of interest?

Trinity because it's the easiest for me to get to and there's no premed. Then either RCSI or UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cweeva

Trinity for me aswell, then either UCD or NUIG:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Piste wrote: »
    Galway, I want need to get out of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Premed in Galway is the best fun ever! Only 5 weeks in and everyone is great friends, and its a nice laid back year before the hard work starts :)
    I think we've had a class party every week so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Sallywest

Hey,
    I've always wanted to do something medical and am now between dietetics and medicine. I think the only thing thats putting me off medicine is that its so daunting! Im not asking for anyone to suggest what I do but well, help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

UCC or NUIG :D I think living in Dublin would just annoy me...and it's cheaper for the parents, and I live only max 2 hours from Cork and Galway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mohas004

HQvhs wrote: »
    Don't worry about the hpat. Don't even think of it until the day. Focus on LC points, at this stage they're the only thing you can possibly affect. And trust me, they are still the deciding factor in getting in. Easier said than done I suppose. Though I got in this year and focused on points. The only prep for hpat was to sit down with the practice book a few weeks beforehand. Other than that I set the hpat to one side until that Saturday.

Hi,

just wondered, what practice book did you use?

thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭NightOwl91

hey guys
    Im probably goin off topic here but i only found out about the 480+ points and HPAT test last month :( last yr, i decided to NOT do chemistry and now im screwed as ive always liked the idea of medicine but decided id never get 580pts etc... finding this out about the HPAT put me on the war path with my deputy head lol ..i was advised not to take chamistry so late in the LC course. Ok fair enough. I have decided to do my first choice General Nursing but just wondering, if i got a 2:1 in it, could i do medicine despite not havin done chemistry???

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

I did the UKCAT and got 640 with absolutely zero preparation so was fairly happy... I have been reading the New Media Medicine forum though and have seen people with scores well over 750 so I'm not feeling so good anymore! :( Have applied anyway and would be more than happy to go to the UK, if I get an offer :D I'm thinking RCSI for here though :)

I've been told that the UKCAT is much more difficult than the HPAT, but I won't believe it until I see it for myself :P Planning on doing A LOT more prep for this one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

NightOwl91 wrote: »
    hey guys
    Im probably goin off topic here but i only found out about the 480+ points and HPAT test last month :( last yr, i decided to NOT do chemistry and now im screwed as ive always liked the idea of medicine but decided id never get 580pts etc... finding this out about the HPAT put me on the war path with my deputy head lol ..i was advised not to take chamistry so late in the LC course. Ok fair enough. I have decided to do my first choice General Nursing but just wondering, if i got a 2:1 in it, could i do medicine despite not havin done chemistry???

480 is just the baseline. I'd say there were very few if any who got in last year with less than 550 points. Step off the war path!:)
    Graduate entry routes are at least as competitive as LC entry routes. Have a look at the new health sciences education forum way over under the Science section.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1274

NightOwl91 wrote: »
    hey guys

You don't have to have Chemistry if you have 2 sciences. Do you have 2 sciences?

okey..soo when are poeple going to register for the HPAT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Just to let you know that HPAT registration is now open. You must have your CAO number to register.
    Good luck everyone :)

Is the UMAT and the HPAT exactly the same tests (Content and form), except one is for Australia and one for IRELAND??

Yes. Umat/oz is the original. The Australian Council of Educational Research (ACER) was hired to do the hpat on the basis of the umat.

Okey! thanks.. anyone know when Addmission Tickets for the HPAT is sent to us... I dont live in Ireland..so need to make travel arrangements beforehand.. I guess the location is on that ticket...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

has anyone signed up yet? wonder will there be more or less doing it this year than last year?!

has anyone signed up yet? wonder will there be more or less doing it this year than last year?!

No... I guess not...many believe that HPAT is now an obstruction rather than an easier way to get in... really annoying :(

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Anywhere that I can get in to!:eek:

I'd kill to go to Trinity but the points aren't realistic. Next would be UCD, then NUIG, UCC and finally RCSI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Duffman'05 wrote: »
    Anywhere that I can get in to!:eek:

I'd kill to go to Trinity but the points aren't realistic. Next would be UCD, then NUIG, UCC and finally RCSI
    Why was I thinking Maynooth did medicine:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

I see that the average points for medicine is now ~720, and the max. HPAT score is 300, is it possible for someone to get into medicine in Trinity for les than 500?:eek::eek:

I know it is unlikely they would get the full 300 and get in for like 428, but if the got 2-something in the HPAT they could get in for less than 500?(i.e. 480??):pac:

That would be niiice:)

Please need advice...

I am really confused... is RCSI a good or a bad medical school?? I´ve heard so many split views..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

mohas004 wrote: »
    Please need advice...

I am really confused... is RCSI a good or a bad medical school?? I´ve heard so many split views..:(
    I'm in RCSI, it was my first choice on the CAO. I cannot fault it in the slightest. It's extremely well organised and well run. The lecturers are fantastic, especially when you hit the anatomy room! One disadvantage is that as there are only 3 undergraduate courses - Medicine, Pharmacy and Physio - it's extremely focused on health sciences which doesn't allow you the same opportunity to get away from medicine for a while!
    It may be small but there's a great social life because most students live on campus, and you meet great people from all over the world.
    I don't have first hand experience of the other med schools so I can't really comment on them, but from open days and speaking to students at the different colleges I thought RCSI was most clued in to actually training doctors. However, as with everything, it's different strokes for different folks!

stainluss wrote: »
    I see that the average points for medicine is now ~720, and the max. HPAT score is 300, is it possible for someone to get into medicine in Trinity for les than 500?:eek::eek:

I know it is unlikely they would get the full 300 and get in for like 428, but if the got 2-something in the HPAT they could get in for less than 500?(i.e. 480??):pac:

The 98th percentile was 198/300 last year, i.e the top 2% of LC students. It would be weird if a person of the top 2% HPAT can't make the top 10% of points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

mohas004 wrote: »
    Okey! thanks.. anyone know when Addmission Tickets for the HPAT is sent to us... I dont live in Ireland..so need to make travel arrangements beforehand.. I guess the location is on that ticket...

2 weeks before the HPAT, but wherever you booked your test centre just book flights to...if you registered on time then you should get your place, but even if you dont get your chosen test centre then its not that hard to get to the rest of the country by train :D or bus...:D

2 weeks before the HPAT, but wherever you booked your test centre just book flights to...if you registered on time then you should get your place, but even if you dont get your chosen test centre then its not that hard to get to the rest of the country by train :D or bus...:D

Okey.. thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

The lowest points anyone used to get into Medicine (in Galway) this year was 520 AFAIK.

The HPAT counts for about a third of the points, which is a big weighting.
    If your HPAT goes well enough you'll have no bother getting in if you hit the mid 500s.
    I got into Trinity on the 84th HPAT percentile and 575 points (565 originally, I went up on rechecks) but there's a good few people (Mainly guys i must say) who are down around the 540-550 mark in my class, LC points-wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

It's theoretically possible to get in to Med with less than 500 points, but in practice, it's almost impossible to do so. The HPAT is marked out of 300, but this year (and presumably it'll be the same in 2010 - aren't the scores adjusted to be roughly the same every year?) very very few people got over 200 (and those who did were obviously extremely talented people when it comes to logical reasoning etc). If you want a realistic chance of securing a place next August, you should really be aiming for at least the mid-500s in the LC. No one can really predict how they're going to do in the HPAT - you're not really going to have any idea how well you've done in the exam, and hoping you'll scrape by with 500 points or less is a very dangerous mistake to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

HQvhs wrote: »
    Don't worry about the hpat. Don't even think of it until the day. Focus on LC points, at this stage they're the only thing you can possibly affect. And trust me, they are still the deciding factor in getting in. Easier said than done I suppose. Though I got in this year and focused on points. The only prep for hpat was to sit down with the practice book a few weeks beforehand. Other than that I set the hpat to one side until that Saturday.

Id say this is true.Leaving cert and 550= points are the main thing,so LC is still very important

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement