Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything HPAT and medicine for 2010 (R1 points post #1247)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'd agree that the type of learning needed for the LC is very useful for all the material you need to learn in medicine. It was the statement that doing well in languages makes you a better communicator to patients that i was disagreeing with :)

Ah right I misunderstood you! The only advantage I can see languages having is being able to communicate with foreign patients and finding the right phrasing to breaking bad news, but I wouldn't say knowing a load of languages for the LC would make you a better doctor than doing subjects like art and history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

Who wants to stay up all night tomorrow with me and toast marshmallows while anxiously anticipating the coming results?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 wouldbedoc

Zenith23 wrote: »
    Who wants to stay up all night tomorrow with me and toast marshmallows while anxiously anticipating the coming results?

I was thinking of pulling an all-nighter as well, although I'd say it won't be in until after 5 :(. I'm almost afraid to open the email: I've enjoyed living in hope. Aaaggh not long left to go now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Yeah living in hope feels great :

"Who knows maybe you actually guessed all those quesitons correctly" is always at the back of my mind :P

The problem with waiting for the results is, I would hate sitting in front of the pc and then when the time comes, it doesn't because it gets delayed by like 3 hours or something. I'm aiming to check my e-mail at 7am on Monday, just typing this post is making me feel nervous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Zenith23 wrote: »

Id take you up on that offer if you were in the Cork City area!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

I guessed over half of section 3, I looked for patterns but it was nonsensical:(

Im still unsure if Im doing Medicine (bit late I know) I have it down on the CAO for now, though.

I just want to say good luck to the people who are very nervous about these results and have wanted to do Medicine from day 1:)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

I know I'm going to be absolutely dying waiting for these results but I'll be in Oslo so at least that might distract me. Or make me worse by causing difficulties for me in accessing the results :rolleyes:

Best of luck to everyone!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 wouldbedoc

It's really an emotional rollercoaster being kept in the dark for so long with these results: Monday can't come quick enough:D

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

just pretend that there is nothing on monday and on sunday night just being the emotions of being anxious to see the result :rolleyes: but this is very impossible to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

stainluss wrote: »
    I guessed over half of section 3, I looked for patterns but it was nonsensical:(

No, no, it APPEARED nonsensical :)
    I'm still undecided about medicine too. I wish i could look to the future and just see what exactly i'd be happiest doing, still not sure if it'd be medicine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

I promised myself I wouln't look at the results until the morning of the 18th August. Have all the bad news hit you in one go I say! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

ummtea wrote: »
    I promised myself I wouln't look at the results until the morning of the 18th August. Have all the bad news hit you in one go I say! :D

That's some strength of will there, I wouldn't be able to just leave the results knowing they were out there... that ominous number written on some page somewhere, ooh :eek:

But kinda have doubts about med as well, I think I'd regret it if i never tried though.

That's some strength of will there, I wouldn't be able to just leave the results knowing they were out there... that ominous number written on some page somewhere, ooh :eek:

But kinda have doubts about med as well, I think I'd regret it if i never tried though.

I'll prob end up looking at them, unless someone physically restrains me until the 18th :o

There's nothing more clear in my mind than getting to study medicine. It's so kick-ass, it's not even funny.

You've got until early July to make a final decision so try not to worry kiddo :)
    What would be your other choice(s)?

I'll prob end up looking at them, unless someone physically restrains me until the 18th :o

There's nothing more clear in my mind than getting to study medicine. It's so kick-ass, it's not even funny.

You've got until early July to make a final decision so try not to worry kiddo :)
    What would be your other choice(s)?

I love how sure you are!
    I've pharmacy down then lots of other science stuff, but sometimes i look at it and i'm like 'wtf was i thinking when i put that on there' :rolleyes::o

I love how sure you are!
    I've pharmacy down then lots of other science stuff, but sometimes i look at it and i'm like 'wtf was i thinking when i put that on there' :rolleyes::o

Haha you're going to be in an interesting state at 5:15 on the 1st of July :P
    In fairness, it's a big decision and there are so many courses to choose from. Since you're going for something in and around the health sciences I guess it's really down to whichever you think you're best suited for.

But med is great because it's a mixture of everything. Who doesn't want to save lives? :cool:

Haha you're going to be in an interesting state at 5:15 on the 1st of July :P
    In fairness, it's a big decision and there are so many courses to choose from. Since you're going for something in and around the health sciences I guess it's really down to whichever you think you're best suited for.

But med is great because it's a mixture of everything. Who doesn't want to save lives? :cool:

Ooh that's it about med exactly! There's just so much in it :D *sigh* lol
    You sound really devoted to it though, I really hope you get it!

Ooh that's it about med exactly! There's just so much in it :D *sigh* lol
    You sound really devoted to it though, I really hope you get it!

That's true lol but you don't do everything in as much detail. I can't even imagine what the chemistry is like for pharmacy! Seriously.

Medicine is like a religion though. We even take an oath when we get our degree. This is a little off topic...but did you see the last episode there of Grey's Anatomy?! :eek:

That's true lol but you don't do everything in as much detail. I can't even imagine what the chemistry is like for pharmacy! Seriously.

Medicine is like a religion though. We even take an oath when we get our degree. This is a little off topic...but did you see the last episode there of Grey's Anatomy?! :eek:

All the stuff to learn is like a double edged sword, i'm such a nerd and love learning but then the amount is a bit arghh :o

Omfg yes! It was unbelieveably good! I was hiding behind the cushion and everything. But, ahem, to make it on topic, when i was watching it i just felt 'yeah that's what i want to do!' (Without the maniac killer of course :p)

All the stuff to learn is like a double edged sword, i'm such a nerd and love learning but then the amount is a bit arghh :o

Omfg yes! It was unbelieveably good! I was hiding behind the cushion and everything. But, ahem, to make it on topic, when i was watching it i just felt 'yeah that's what i want to do!' (Without the maniac killer of course :p)

We're all nerds around here :p All we need to learn is the learning blocks and we can forget about the rest after the tests.

That guy was trigger happy. Oh hey you look like a surgeon: BAM. I saw the finale the other week and it's pretty damn good! Do you watch Private Practice? The finale made me cry sooo much. Devastating :(

We're all nerds around here :p All we need to learn is the learning blocks and we can forget about the rest after the tests.

That guy was trigger happy. Oh hey you look like a surgeon: BAM. I saw the finale the other week and it's pretty damn good! Do you watch Private Practice? The finale made me cry sooo much. Devastating :(

Lol i love lurking in the Health Sciences forum too! :o
    Oh yeah i had to watch the finale on the internet after the second last episode, too much of a cliff hanger for me!
    Nope don't watch private practice, was too busy studying this year of course :p might get into it over the summer

• Advertisement

Lol i love lurking in the Health Sciences forum too! :o
    Oh yeah i had to watch the finale on the internet after the second last episode, too much of a cliff hanger for me!
    Nope don't watch private practice, was too busy studying this year of course :p might get into it over the summer

Haha are you the nerdy type who tries to diagnose their friends when they say they're not feeling well?

How are you coping with free time??

Haha are you the nerdy type who tries to diagnose their friends when they say they're not feeling well?

How are you coping with free time??

Ooh i know the type, but i think i'm not quite that nerdy (yet!)
    It's definitely strange but i'm liking it :D You still in study mode?
    Btw 29hours till HPAT results!! :P

Ooh i know the type, but i think i'm not quite that nerdy (yet!)
    It's definitely strange but i'm liking it :D You still in study mode?
    Btw 29hours till HPAT results!! :P

You'll get there!
    The HPAT. Not too worried. I've a fair idea how I did (Poorly). How do you think you got on? Feeling nervous?? :D

You'll get there!
    The HPAT. Not too worried. I've a fair idea how I did (Poorly). How do you think you got on? Feeling nervous?? :D

Oh don't say that, I think the HPAT is based a fair bit on guesswork and luck, i'd say you still have a fair chance,
    Lol i loved when people asked me that question after the test, i just said i had no clue at all lol :rolleyes:
    But definitely nervous, i mean it could decide our futures!

Oh don't say that, I think the HPAT is based a fair bit on guesswork and luck, i'd say you still have a fair chance,
    Lol i loved when people asked me that question after the test, i just said i had no clue at all lol :rolleyes:
    But definitely nervous, i mean it could decide our futures!

It's kind of ironic though. The precision of the leaving cert and now our future's hanging in the breeze on a test we used mainly guess work to figure out. I can't help but laugh at that!

Well good luck tomorrow. I'll see you around on here for crunch time! It'll prob start at like 5am :rolleyes: And good luck making up your mind on the career choice. I say go for med, I may be biased, but it's a solid job and you'll be bulletproof in any economy :p

It's kind of ironic though. The precision of the leaving cert and now our future's hanging in the breeze on a test we used mainly guess work to figure out. I can't help but laugh at that!

Well good luck tomorrow. I'll see you around on here for crunch time! It'll prob start at like 5am :rolleyes: And good luck making up your mind on the career choice. I say go for med, I may be biased, but it's a solid job and you'll be bulletproof in any economy :p

Let's hope we'll all stay laughing at it when we all get into med! :D
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

This time tomorrow, I'll know!! :eek: Argghhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

I love how sure you are!
    I've pharmacy down then lots of other science stuff :rolleyes::o
    Mind elaborating? I got two last spots left in my Cao after all the medicine and radiography & general science.

I wasn't too worried about the results but the active conversations here is making me feel REALLY excited. I might need to talk to a few friends to calm down now, or just study japanese for another few hours.

Who wants to come on boards.ie at 5am to panic together?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Probably none, unless you can learn off the entire essay and nobody else being marked by your examiner has the same thing. Also that site is aimed at college level, with references and cover pages etc. so would be unnecessary for the LC. Oh and the site looks totally dodgy. Basically that site seems completely useless.

• Advertisement

H2student wrote: »
    Mind elaborating? I got two last spots left in my Cao after all the medicine and radiography & general science.

I wasn't too worried about the results but the active conversations here is making me feel REALLY excited. I might need to talk to a few friends to calm down now, or just study japanese for another few hours.

Who wants to come on boards.ie at 5am to panic together?

First 5 is med lol :p
    Then pharmacy, biomedical science, genetics, biological and chemical sciences and pharmaceutial biotechnology, all in UCC. But tbh i'm not too happy with any of them except pharmacy. I was thinking about general science, what do you think you'd get out of it?

Ooh the closer it gets the more i wanna get up early!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement