Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything HPAT and medicine for 2010 (R1 points post #1247)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

I'm not sure about General science at all, my guidance counsellor suggested that I should do it as a last resort for reasons that I can't remember now. I might put one down but I don't know which University to choose.

I need ot research more about biomed. Particularly this:
    http://www.qualifax.ie/qf/QFPublic/?Mainsec=courses&Subsec=course_details&ID=13421&CSH_ID=18&AdvancedKeyword=&ResetCount=1

as I find the subjects really interesting. I just don't understand why it mentions the HPAT o_O, isn't this an unrelated science course?

Also, anyone thinking of doing genetics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

H2student wrote: »
    I'm not sure about General science at all, my guidance counsellor suggested that I should do it as a last resort for reasons that I can't remember now. I might put one down but I don't know which University to choose.

I need ot research more about biomed. Particularly this:
    http://www.qualifax.ie/qf/QFPublic/?Mainsec=courses&Subsec=course_details&ID=13421&CSH_ID=18&AdvancedKeyword=&ResetCount=1

as I find the subjects really interesting. I just don't understand why it mentions the HPAT o_O, isn't this an unrelated science course?

Also, anyone thinking of doing genetics?

Yeah my guidance counsellor wasn't very helpful at all.
    It really shouldn't mention the HPAT at all, you definitely don't need it for biomed.
    I think genetics could be interesting but i just hate studying plants!

Ah okay, I'm gonna put down biomed because it looks pretty good. It looks more suitable for me than general science anyway.

I never thought about that. Is there a lot of plants-related things in the genetics course? The reason I didn't take biology for the LC is because I HATE studying about plants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

Mind elaborating? I got two last spots left in my Cao after all the medicine and radiography & general science.

I wasn't too worried about the results but the active conversations here is making me feel REALLY excited. I might need to talk to a few friends to calm down now, or just study japanese for another few hours.

Who wants to come on boards.ie at 5am to panic together?

I believe 'twas me who first suggested that. I will keep you company! :D

Zenith23 wrote: »
    I believe 'twas me who first suggested that. I will keep you company! :D
    5am it is :D, I'll hunt you down if you don't show up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 wouldbedoc

Anyone else have butterflies already?Aaaghh it's tomorrow:D. I'm so happy it's almost finally here: it's been a long wait:o:

Anyone know any good time-consuming activites? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 LouiseZ

I've just finished the LC(yay!!) and I was just wondering can I do medicine with just one science subject?
    I only took one Science subject for the LC, Biology. I didn't want to do this but German, Chemistry and Physics were on at the same time in our school and I needed a third language to get into all the universities, so therefor I had to pick German.
    I'm really good at Biology and also quite good at Maths(I did HL and didn't find it all that difficult). I didn't find the HPAT too hard and I got good enough marks in the practice test, (though we'll see for real tomorrow!)
    How hard would it be for me to do Medicine? Obviously I'd be doing the premed year if I got in, so do you think that I would be ok then?
    UCD, NUIG & RCSI all allow entry into their medicine courses with just one science subject. UCC & Trinity are the only one's that require 2 science subjects.

Advice please!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

LouiseZ wrote: »
    I've just finished the LC(yay!!) and I was just wondering can I do medicine with just one science subject?
    I only took one Science subject for the LC, Biology. I didn't want to do this but German, Chemistry and Physics were on at the same time in our school and I needed a third language to get into all the universities, so therefor I had to pick German.
    I'm really good at Biology and also quite good at Maths(I did HL and didn't find it all that difficult). I didn't find the HPAT too hard and I got good enough marks in the practice test, (though we'll see for real tomorrow!)
    How hard would it be for me to do Medicine? Obviously I'd be doing the premed year if I got in, so do you think that I would be ok then?

Advice please!

From what I have researched/heard (I didnt do Chemistry, either) If you put in the work in Pre Med, you should be grand :)

Afaik, Chemistry is more important than Physics in Medicine

I don't know any, all I did the last week is: watch television (2-3 hours a day), exercise(30mins-1hr), learn japanese(4hrs+), boards.ie and of course surfing the internet aimlessly.(24-everything else? :P)

I'm exhausted right now. Was on my exercise bike 80% of the time while watching a 2 hour long concert on Television, I'm building fatigue so I can sleep earlier tonight. About butterflies, yeah I got some. I'm just scared that I going to finally realised I'm not a super lucky genius that scored 300 on the HPAT :pac:

• Advertisement

I don't know any, all I did the last week is: watch television (2-3 hours a day), exercise(30mins-1hr), learn japanese(4hrs+), boards.ie and of course surfing the internet aimlessly.(24-everything else? :P)

Wow, it's quite funny to see how similiar my last week was to yours. With the exception of learning Japanese :p

Well it is ireland what else can we do? Apart from getting drunk and fighting each other on the streets. (ffs、I had to retype those sentences because I had the keyboard language set to japanese. Ironically, compaining about it is making me type even more)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 scherzo!

I'm a total chronic insomniac so I'd be completely happy in keeping any medically-inclined buddy company through the night. :D

scherzo! wrote: »
    I'm a total chronic insomniac so I'd be completely happy in keeping any medically-inclined buddy company through the night. :D

High-five :D Med or not, we're the cool kids now :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Well only UCD takes people without chem. The rest its a requirement. I don't think any of the sciences really make a massive difference as to how hard anything is. Its just hard full stop :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

You need two sciences to actually gain entry into the course in the first place! (I think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Why don't yous just wake up at 7. Sleeping is clearly the best way to waste time:p

theowen wrote: »
    Why don't yous just wake up at 7. Sleeping is clearly the best way to waste time:p

Not for insomniacs :p

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭shamoono

after a few days of partying, I just realised HPAT results are out tomorrow. Did anybody get any kind of notification or anything because I didn't

shamoono wrote: »
    after a few days of partying, I just realised HPAT results are out tomorrow. Did anybody get any kind of notification or anything because I didn't
    I actually forget which email I used to apply with. :B But I have my application number so that should be proof of identity to some point. I keep checking my main emails (I have like 5) but I got nothing.

• Advertisement

I haven't got any notifications and I know which e-mail it is. I'm actually pretty sleepy right now, but I don't want to go to bed already...

Which colleges do you guys have down for Med?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 wouldbedoc

The next Hpat email we'll get will be ''Hpat result notification'' in around 10 hours! 'Sleep no more!Hpat does murder sleep!'

All except Cork, not that I don't like Cork. I just don't see myself getting in to that if I can't get into Galway, which is more convenient for me.

Don't want to be pessemistic here but, are you guys going to take out all the medicine course off your CAO if your HPAT is below 130 or something?

All except Cork, not that I don't like Cork. I just don't see myself getting in to that if I can't get into Galway, which is more convenient for me.

Don't want to be pessemistic here but, are you guys going to take out all the medicine course off your CAO if your HPAT is below 130 or something?

Well there really isn't any harm in leaving them there, even though 150 is like the absolute bare minimum. So no, I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bleh!

I have 1.TCD, 2.RCSI, 3.UCD, 4.NUIG, 5.UCC :D
    wouldbedoc wrote: »
    The next Hpat email we'll get will be ''Hpat result notification'' in around 10 hours! 'Sleep no more!Hpat does murder sleep!'

True! Tonight will be 'unruly:where we lay, our chimneys were blown down; and, as they say, lamentings heard in the air; strange screams of death' :pac:

I have all of them, and then Pharmacy, and then Arts (LOL) in UCC.
    I probably won't take off my Medicine choices even if I got 0 for the HPAT. I guess I'll have to choose between being pessimistic or pathetic. :B

bleh! wrote: »
    I have 1.TCD, 2.RCSI, 3.UCD, 4.NUIG, 5.UCC :D

Same here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bleh!

Same here :D

Cool! I'll be crazy happy with any one of them tbh. They're coming out at 6am, right?

• Advertisement

5.a.m, I thought...:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement