Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything HPAT and medicine for 2010 (R1 points post #1247)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Kiva507 wrote: »
    Hey

Do any of you know the points the 2009 students needed to get for medicine for the five different colleges??

After all the rounds I think it was:
    NUIG 713
    RCSI 715
    UCD 719
    TCD 723

Not sure about Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Towel Boii

Hey

Do any of you know the points the 2009 students needed to get for medicine for the five different colleges??

These are the points needed from qualifax.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 wouldbedoc

Hey

Minimum Points Medicine 2009

UCC-715
    RCSI-715
    NUIG-713
    TCD-723
    UCD-719

Random selection applies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 stevieg91

i got 167 aswell and i think i got around 550-570, any idea where ill get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

wouldbedoc wrote: »
    Minimum Points Medicine 2009

UCC-715
    RCSI-715
    NUIG-713
    TCD-723
    UCD-719

Random selection applies.

NUIG was actually 712 + Random selection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dobh

i made a mistake - 166 last year was 78th percentile. oops. sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 doconcall

How do the six year courses work out. Are they solely for people who do not have the subject requirement for the five year ones? Are the points the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Kiva507

RE MEDICINE POINTS 2009

oh ok...

Do you think that'll come down this year at all??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 stevieg91

hey everybody i got 167 and im sure i got 550 in th lc, am i guaranteed or will th points rise exponentially?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dobh

in ucd 5 yr courses are offered to 600 pointers in l cert / very high achievers. i know someone who opted for it and changed back to the 6 yr course as very stressful. loved the 6 yr course as relatively easier start - not easy but not as stressful.

ucc only have the 5 year course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

what is meant by random selection? if two people have 723 and they only need one more then they choose randomly? doesn't seem very fair....if you're lucky you get in, if you're not you don't...no difference in potential

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭greenbetty69

GET IN THERE.. got 187 to add to my 554 so im in on the second attempt!

dobh wrote: »
    i made a mistake - 166 last year was 78th percentile. oops. sorry

Well judging by that I'd say that the points for each college would probably go up. Only 1-5 points though. No! I want UCD :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

!?! wrote: »
    what is meant by random selection? if two people have 723 and they only need one more then they choose randomly? doesn't seem very fair....if you're lucky you get in, if you're not you don't...no difference in potential
    What would you suggest as an alternative though? ... remembering that it's more likely to be say 5 people out of 200 with the same points rather than one out of two?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

What would you suggest as an alternative though? ... remembering that it's more likely to be say 5 people out of 200 with the same points rather than one out of two?

dunno, they could all do another test :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Oh, I could just imagine the screams!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

What would you suggest as an alternative though?

For 200 med hopefuls on the same points for 5 remaining places. Easy. Pay 200 arts students €2 to choke on a grape. You don't save your patient, you're out. Process of elimination until there's 5 arts students left. Plus it really only costs the uni a tenner because you only get paid after the event.

pathway33 wrote: »
    For 200 med hopefuls on the same points for 5 remaining places. Easy. Pay 200 arts students €2 to choke on a grape. You don't save your patient, you're out. Process of elimination until there's 5 arts students left. Plus it really only costs the uni a tenner because you only get paid after the event.

:D Did you do the HPAT this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Allego

Hi everyone, congratulations to all who got what they wanted! Im trying to get my head around things, 4 years ago I done my A-levels. I got 4 As and got the 600 points and an offer for trinity. Unfortunately I had to decline because of family circumstances. I'm ready this year to begin to find my points are now 560 + hpat, I got 159 in that this year, first attempt. So with my 4 As and my 159, I should be on 719 right? I'm guessing this is on the borderline right? I'm a bit nervous. Can any1 shed any light or offer any advice or wat the likelyhood of making it to any of the colleges? Many thanks! :)

Allego wrote: »
    Hi everyone, congratulations to all who got what they wanted! Im trying to get my head around things, 4 years ago I done my A-levels. I got 4 As and got the 600 points and an offer for trinity. Unfortunately I had to decline because of family circumstances. I'm ready this year to begin to find my points are now 560 + hpat, I got 159 in that this year, first attempt. So with my 4 As and my 159, I should be on 719 right? I'm guessing this is on the borderline right? I'm a bit nervous. Can any1 shed any light or offer any advice or wat the likelyhood of making it to any of the colleges? Many thanks! :)
    You've a good chance of getting into RCSI or Galway anyway. Well done, I have the same HPAT score but I'm not confident of doing that well in my LC so I'm gutted!

• Advertisement

Yea, I thought I done better in hpat, 159 is just above the average I guess. You think there is no chance in ucd or trinity? Good luck btw in LC!

Yea, I thought I done better in hpat, 159 is just above the average I guess. You think there is no chance in ucd or trinity? Good luck btw in LC!
    Well UCD was 720 last year so if that came down you have a chance, or in 2nd round etc. Trinity was a bit higher at 729, but it came down to 723, so maybe! Tbh RCSI is a fantastic college and I would be thrilled to get in there! Don't know much about Galway or Cork but I've heard they're equally great, although I know it's a pain if you want to stay in Dublin.

Yea I don't doubt that, I don't mind where I go, I'm from derry so location is no problem. I'm just worried cause I put my cap order as 1.trinity. 2.ucd 3.rsci 4.nui

Would I definitely get an offer for the other 2? I'd be very pleased if I did. First round is Aug 23rd right? ;)

Oh yeah it doesn't matter if you have them lower down than the other colleges, you'll be offered the course which is highest on your CAO that you have the points for.

First round is Aug 23rd right? ;)

Yes. I don't suppose you'd qualify for Round 0?

"Round Zero
    In early August there may be an issue of a small number of
    offers of places which go to certain categories of applicant
    who are not awaiting 2010 examination results"

Source: http://www2.cao.ie/handbook/handbook/index.php page 21 of 26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Criostoir88

Congratulations everyone. With my hpat result today I got 723 overall, I did hpat last year and improved by 23 points without forking out for any prep. courses or such. If you believe grinds and prep. courses were the way to go for your LC then they're probably for you, if you're comfortable on your own then there's nothing wrong with that. Anyone on borderline results don't forget all the variables - people not getting enough LC points, changing courses, different course selection, people like me (I applied to post-grad. medicine this year too and am going to go with that as it's 4 years instead of 6!), and of course point fluctuations year on year.
    If you didn't make it this year take a year out and try again, don't settle for another course like I did, I finished mine, now I have to pay for any type of medicine by taking on a 100k loan, you'd be better off not using up your government-paid fees on a course you're not 100% on, but even if you do, there's graduate-medicine to look forward to.
    Hope the month's+ wait is bearable for all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Hookie

aghhhh i was so happy with my results at first cos i really didnt feel the hpat went well at all for me but as time passes im getting more and more worried its not enough..

724.. i reeeally want UCD.. are we thinking points will go up by much?? I know its impossible to tell and id take rcsi or nuig if it came to that but cant help hoping..

Oh happy days ! Us guys are around the borderline! Is be happy with NUI, or RSCI! I didn't realise there was a round zero! Hope the points required go down! 4 As is still 560 points right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 keenaa

anyone no more about this honors maths supplementary points?? i would love to know if its gona come in because i would happily not take my second choice to hold out until i get the extra points, thats saying i dont get medicine this yr with 715 :confused:!

• Advertisement

I didn't realise there was a round zero!

There's even a round before round zero called round A :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement