Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything HPAT and medicine for 2010 (R1 points post #1247)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Zenith23 wrote: »
    :D Did you do the HPAT this year?

Nope. I would rather be a broadener of minds that a putter together of bodies :)

I'm a bit worried Human Health & Disease will go up now :( It was only new last year and there aren't a huge amount of places...dya think it'll rise above around 550, it being 515 last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Allego wrote: »
    4 As is still 560 points right?

Dunno. Is A* a new thing in A-levels because according to the trinity college entry requirements you need A* for 150 points? An A is 135. But I'd say if you got your results under a system with no A* then you would surely have to be given 150 for your A. Best to double check with CAO and check the status of A's in A-levels with the other college websites

http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/undergraduate/assets/pdfs/TCD_Admission_Requirements_2010.pdf

EDIT: This link is completely irrelevant in the sense that it is NUI Maynooth but it does state that A's in A-levels got before 2010 get 150 points so presumably it's the same for other colleges http://admissions.nuim.ie/school_leavers/apply_alevel.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 xdublingirlx

i got 157 wont be enough didnt get 600 in the lc id say i will be much closer to 550. I want to redo the hpat next year though and hopefully get in then. Does anyone know if you can take a different course for a year and then just go in to med if I got it next year? Do you have to pay fees or anything? also if anyone has any tips on how they improved their score this year i would gladly accept all the info i could get...thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 doconcall

I have the same questions. I now feel I need to consider other options just in case. Medicine was in some ways an easy choice but now if I do not get offered I don't really know what to do. Pharmacy but it just does not excite me like medicine, could anyone excite me about pharmacy. Why is it so difficult to chose?

• Advertisement

i got 157 wont be enough didnt get 600 in the lc id say i will be much closer to 550. I want to redo the hpat next year though and hopefully get in then. Does anyone know if you can take a different course for a year and then just go in to med if I got it next year? Do you have to pay fees or anything? also if anyone has any tips on how they improved their score this year i would gladly accept all the info i could get...thanks
    Yeah this is what I'm thinking of doing too. AFAIK if you do another course for a year and then switch to med you'll have to pay for your first year of med and then after that it'll be free again. Assuming free fees is still in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

pathway33 wrote: »
    Easy. Pay 200 arts students €2 to choke on a grape. You don't save your patient, you're out. Process of elimination until there's 5 arts students left. Plus it really only costs the uni a tenner because you only get paid after the event.
    0_o

You like living dangerously, don't you?!! :mad: :P

yeah that makes sense that you have to pay for one year thought it might be something like that thanks. what did you get in the hpat? i dont think i will be a million miles off but il defo miss it by a couple of points.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FreeT

Pay 200 arts students €2 to choke on a grape. You don't save your patient, you're out.

So how did you do on the empathetic identity section? :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

0_o

You like living dangerously, don't you?!! :mad: :P

:D Ah come on! That's like the funniest thing I've ever read on boards :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

It really upsets me that some people who got in the 80+ percentile, most of them did very poorly in their Inter Personal understanding. Really annoys me because they brought this whole thing in to root out the most suitable people for the job and great if you can fly at the theory work but If you're cold and not very empathetic then that, to me, doesnt deem you very suitable..

Not a personal jab at anybody here at all, just a thought :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

FreeT wrote: »
    Pay 200 arts students €2 to choke on a grape. You don't save your patient, you're out.
    So how did you do on the empathetic identity section? :D:D
    I think you're quoting the wrong person there! :p
    :D Ah come on! That's like the funniest thing I've ever read on boards :D
    :eek:

/adds to blacklist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 wouldbedoc

Any thoughts on what the points for Trinity might be?I know it's just speculation but still:o:

wouldbedoc wrote: »
    Any thoughts on what the points for Trinity might be?I know it's just speculation but still:o:

I'd say around 805...But that's just me :p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

Points will go up a bit but not by much... 5ish maybe? :confused:

729 to 805? ...seems that would be quite the jump!

Who thinks medicine will go up? How about a discussion about it?

I'd say around 805...But that's just me :p:D

Aagghh:eek::D I whole heartedly hope not!!Yeah I was thinking 3-5 points of an increase maybe.

Who thinks medicine will go up? How about a discussion about it?

I know that there are more applicants than last year, so that would suggest some kind of increase even though the Hpat percentile distribution seems quite similar to last year- but if more applicants apply each consequtive year then the points would be pushed up again wouldn't they or the higher percentiles would be spread thinner?I can suddenly visualize an unstopable points ladder:eek::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 figiii

I can suddenly visualize an unstopable points ladder:eek::p

please no! :( does any actually have a figure for how many applicants there were?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Shortsighted

aine92 wrote: »
    It really upsets me that some people who got in the 80+ percentile, most of them did very poorly in their Inter Personal understanding. Really annoys me because they brought this whole thing in to root out the most suitable people for the job and great if you can fly at the theory work but If you're cold and not very empathetic then that, to me, doesnt deem you very suitable..

Not a personal jab at anybody here at all, just a thought :D

I hear you, but I don't necessarily agree with you. My lowest score was in Section 2 (53), which I had expected from the start, but then again, can you really judge someone's interpersonal skills from a code of answers written on a sheet? I hope not. I know the questions were designed to somewhat 'measure' your level of empathy, but to be honest, when push comes to shove, it's a tad easier to actually SHOW empathy rather than select the right answer on a comprehension test. Obviously, not a personal dig at you, just a bit of rebuttal for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

aine92 wrote: »

I'd consider myself very far from cold and lacking empathy but i only got 55 in section 2 :rolleyes: don't see how choosing between a whole load of twisted answers shows whether you're suitable for the job or not. there's people that are very good at judging emotions from a written text but who couldn't cope at all in a real-life situation :P

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

I'm a bit worried Human Health & Disease will go up now :( It was only new last year and there aren't a huge amount of places...dya think it'll rise above around 550, it being 515 last year?

wooooooooooonooooooo you think it will be that high??? I have it dow now after physio, looks like a really interesting course! I really hope it won't rise that much!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭HOBO123

it seems everyone on here did really well .. congrats :)
    for those of you who werent so lucky a recent study by ACER showed that 2 of Australias top consultants failed to do well in a hpat exam they sat .. with one scoring as low as the 0-20 percentile .. for anyone whose dreams were not crushed but merely ''put on hold'' i hope this news helps .. I sat the hpat and didnt do as well as the others on here only scoring 147 ... but tbh i didnt try very hard as i knew going in that it was vet-med i wanted to do and not med but i had applied before i made my final decision .. i was happy with my score and it is not true reflection of how smart you are as you are sitting an exam surrounded by not only irelands finest students but some of the uks and other countries too :) thats why im not worried that i scored so low .. i scored low in a high-calibre bunch :D

and to those who scored above the 90th percentile i applaud you! and good luck in college :)

wooooooooooonooooooo you think it will be that high??? I have it dow now after physio, looks like a really interesting course! I really hope it won't rise that much!

Pffft...No offense but HH&D leads almost nowhere. Granted, it may be a very interesting and exciting course but that's only while it lasts. Look it up. If you're attracted to medicine then you'd probably be very disappointed in its relatively low number of good career options. That said, it might be good for the purpose of graduate medicine. Not sure. And I doubt the points will change by more than 20 points either way. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭green909

I know a few people doing the human health and disease course and from what i can gather this year has been highly un organised so much so that lectures practically ended after Christmas when other science students went on placements. 95% if not higher people in the class were there because they failed to get med and i know a huge proportion of them resat the HPAT this year and have now secured places in med for next year. The 2nd year class is going to be tiny this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

I agree. Well done to everyone. A score anywhere near 150 in the HPAT is a fantastic achievement and no one should feel ashamed or that they failed if they didnt do as well as they had hoped. And besides, no one can be sure yet what the final entry levels for any of the colleges will be; so no need for massive panic or rushes to change CAO choices.
    And for anyone who's heart is set on Medicine, really consider all the options. There are so many routes that can be taken now that dont involve having to repeat the Leaving Cert 2, 3, or even 4 times. (madness that people do that but Ive seen it).

The post grad entry route is really an encouraging development here. But bear in mind that you still need to complete a course thats in some way related to science. As in, dont go and do a degree in Law and then expect to walk into post-grad Medicine.

But again.. well done to all.
    Maybe someday, the Health department here along with the Education departments will realize that we have a shortage of doctors in this country and that current conditions force younger doctors to move abroad. Instead of paying the massive consultant and endless administrative fees... lower wages and extra medical school places would be an idea for improvement here.
    This HPAT thing, although a welcome change to medical school entry level, is still very much contributing to this points rat race and its so unfair. Like if there's going to be a cap on 500 points *or 480 or whatever), then that should be the cap to level the playing field. 815 is just an outrageous points level for anyone to acquire. ANd to end up still having to go work in a foreign continent somewhere after what.. 15 years of studying and back breakingly stressful work? Wow.

Not meaning to sound like a wet blanket or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 blogger 3000

Hopefully Trinity:D:D!How about you?

UCC please god

Well done as well:) you should be on your way with 715 for Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 andypandy40

xdublingirlx I'm replying to you now even though I never posted on boards before, and this feels like a waste of time but this may and hopefully will be of some help to you. I can empathise with you because last year I got 550 and exactly 157 in my results. My points were brought up to 560 but I missed out on galway by 4 points( as a friend of mine got in with 712). So I did undemoniated science which I got a scholarship for.

I repeated the hpat and got in 98th percentile this morning with 200 points. This year I can do medicine course in any college in Ireland, skip premed(because of doing science) and stand a good chance of getting another scholarship.

I found the med-entry course invaluable, and for those of you with medicine in mind, and sense enough to heed my advice, you probably will too.

Summary move on, don't repeat there's no sense in it, do science or any other course and maybe give medicine another go. It'll be good for you. No fees if you skip premed, but don't worry about money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement