Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything HPAT and medicine for 2010 (R1 points post #1247)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

felic wrote: »
    The post grad entry route is really an encouraging development here. But bear in mind that you still need to complete a course thats in some way related to science. As in, dont go and do a degree in Law and then expect to walk into post-grad Medicine.
    I could be horrifically wrong here, but I don't think it has to be a science-related degree. It just needs to be a 2:1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ev.daly

xdublingirlx I'm replying to you now even though I never posted on boards before, and this feels like a waste of time but this may and hopefully will be of some help to you. I can empathise with you because last year I got 550 and exactly 157 in my results. My points were brought up to 560 but I missed out on galway by 4 points( as a friend of mine got in with 712). So I did undemoniated science which I got a scholarship for.

I repeated the hpat and got in 98th percentile this morning with 200 points. This year I can do medicine course in any college in Ireland, skip premed(because of doing science) and stand a good chance of getting another scholarship.

I found the med-entry course invaluable, and for those of you with medicine in mind, and sense enough to heed my advice, you probably will too.

Summary move on, don't repeat there's no sense in it, do science or any other course and maybe give medicine another go. It'll be good for you. No fees if you skip premed, but don't worry about money.
    Sounds Like good advice, but is it ok to do a science course for 1 yr, and if ur lucky with repeating the HPAT, you can just swap over to med ...

Do they still consider the LC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

jumpguy wrote: »
    I could be horrifically wrong here, but I don't think it has to be a science-related degree. It just needs to be a 2:1.

Pretty sure this is correct. :) In fact, I've heard anecdotally of people with degrees in English and French doing better in the GAMSAT and securing their places ahead of science graduates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

oh. wow. I apologize. I really thought there was a science requirement to get in via the graduate route along with the 2.1 thing.
    Well then, thats even better news.

Zenith23 wrote: »
    Pffft...No offense but HH&D leads almost nowhere. Granted, it may be a very interesting and exciting course but that's only while it lasts. Look it up. If you're attracted to medicine then you'd probably be very disappointed in its relatively low number of good career options. That said, it might be good for the purpose of graduate medicine. Not sure. And I doubt the points will change by more than 20 points either way. :)
    Way to inspire my confidence after realising I won't be getting into med. HH&D is the only other course I could picture myself in. Surely you can get into med research and that with it? I was talking to someone in the course who really liked it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Aoibheann wrote: »
    I just want to point out that the 100th percentile doesn't exist for all intents and purposes. Yes, it technically exists but is at +infinity on standard deviation scale. The percentile given is the percentage of people who got a lower score than you did, and as I said to a friend before - you can hardly be better than yourself like. You can't be better than 100% of people when you yourself are counted among those people! You can be at the 99.99999(recurring)th percentile but never 100, and I'm fairly sure they still won't round it to 100%.

Just thought I might stick this up here too........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 xdublingirlx

xdublingirlx I'm replying to you now even though I never posted on boards before, and this feels like a waste of time but this may and hopefully will be of some help to you. I can empathise with you because last year I got 550 and exactly 157 in my results. My points were brought up to 560 but I missed out on galway by 4 points( as a friend of mine got in with 712). So I did undemoniated science which I got a scholarship for.

I repeated the hpat and got in 98th percentile this morning with 200 points. This year I can do medicine course in any college in Ireland, skip premed(because of doing science) and stand a good chance of getting another scholarship.

I found the med-entry course invaluable, and for those of you with medicine in mind, and sense enough to heed my advice, you probably will too.

Summary move on, don't repeat there's no sense in it, do science or any other course and maybe give medicine another go. It'll be good for you. No fees if you skip premed, but don't worry about money.

thanks it's really encouraging to know that a significant number of people have gone up enough on a repeat of the hpat to hopefully secure a place in medicine this year. I have chemistry as a leaving cert subject does that not automatically exempt you from premed? the whole system is rather confusing!! i was thinking of doing pharmacy for the year...do you think that would be a good idea? I am trying to pick something that relates to medicine in some way. thanks for the advice, its very much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Pffft...No offense but HH&D leads almost nowhere. Granted, it may be a very interesting and exciting course but that's only while it lasts. Look it up. If you're attracted to medicine then you'd probably be very disappointed in its relatively low number of good career options. That said, it might be good for the purpose of graduate medicine. Not sure. And I doubt the points will change by more than 20 points either way. :)

Well after it you could go on for a H.dip and do teaching or research or ya graduate medicine so theres some job opps like!!
    green909 wrote: »
    I know a few people doing the human health and disease course and from what i can gather this year has been highly un organised so much so that lectures practically ended after Christmas when other science students went on placements. 95% if not higher people in the class were there because they failed to get med and i know a huge proportion of them resat the HPAT this year and have now secured places in med for next year. The 2nd year class is going to be tiny this year!

How can the college allow that to happen?! Well if people are dropping out of it, points will more than likely go down woo!
    Way to inspire my confidence after realising I won't be getting into med. HH&D is the only other course I could picture myself in. Surely you can get into med research and that with it? I was talking to someone in the course who really liked it.

piratequeen you aren't certain you won't be getting into med until 23rd Aug, don't stress about it now it's okay! Ya you can do that kinda thing with HH&D and going onto grad medicine with this course would be a great adv!

What did the person doing the course say about it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

Fad wrote: »
    Just thought I might stick this up here too........

100th %ile does exist. When we say %ile e.g 42nd %ile, it means that a candidate performed greater or equal to 42% of the people. Therefore 100th%ile means a person performed greater or equal to everyone i.e The highest result in the country.
    You can be at the 99.99999(recurring)th percentile but never 100, and I'm fairly sure they still won't round it to 100%.

I also want to point out that 99.(9)... = 100 :p

Proof:
    x = 99.(9)...
    10x = 999.(9)...
    10x - x = 900 = 9x
    9x/9 = x = 100
    tf. 100 = 99.(9)...

Just thought I'd throw that in :D

piratequeen you aren't certain you won't be getting into med until 23rd Aug, don't stress about it now it's okay! Ya you can do that kinda thing with HH&D and going onto grad medicine with this course would be a great adv!

What did the person doing the course say about it ?

She said it's interesting, everyone's really close and that it prepares you well for jobs in research as well as grad med. I know I shouldn't give up hope of getting in this year yet but I'm just really disappointed because it looks like I'll be missing out by only 6 points or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 xdublingirlx

She said it's interesting, everyone's really close and that it prepares you well for jobs in research as well as grad med. I know I shouldn't give up hope of getting in this year yet but I'm just really disappointed because it looks like I'll be missing out by only 6 points or so.

same...its pretty sickening that we will be so close but at the same time a little encouraging that it's in our reach! what did you get in th hpat?

same...its pretty sickening that we will be so close but at the same time a little encouraging that it's in our reach! what did you get in th hpat?
    159. To think that if I had timed it a bit better, or spent more time on those silly patterns I wouldn't be in this mess is gutting :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Well after it you could go on for a H.dip and do teaching ...
    0_o

Unless it is on the list of degrees recognised by the Teachers Registration Council for the purposes of teaching, doing the PGDE won't qualify you as a teacher on its own.

In fact, unless your degree is on that list, they won't normally accept you for the PGDE.
    Well if people are dropping out of it, points will more than likely go down woo!
    Hate to disagree again, but points work on demand for places this year vs. places available. There is no direct correlation with the retention rate among last year's group.

It *could* have an effect in several ways, but it would be pretty difficult to predict ...

... people hear that a number of people have re-sat HPAT and transferred, think "oh, maybe that course hones the necessary skills / is a good prep" ... demand rises.

... people hear that people are leaving the course, think "mustn't be a great course" ... demand falls.

... college realises retention rates are low, offer more places in first year ... demand falls.

... college realises retention rates are low, withdraws course ... demand in other colleges rises.

... or a combination of the above factors and more.

Predicting CAO points is always tricky.

piratequeen you aren't certain you won't be getting into med until 23rd Aug, don't stress about it now it's okay!
    Phew! Something we can agree on 100%!

0_o

Unless it is on the list of degrees recognised by the Teachers Registration Council for the purposes of teaching, doing the PGDE won't qualify you as a teacher on its own.

In fact, unless your degree is on that list, they won't normally accept you for the PGDE.

It must be because it says
    A B.Sc. in also an appropriate qualification for entry into a broad range of careers (e.g. teaching, finance).
    on the website for it !

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Allego

pathway33 wrote: »
    Dunno. Is A* a new thing in A-levels because according to the trinity college entry requirements you need A* for 150 points? An A is 135. But I'd say if you got your results under a system with no A* then you would surely have to be given 150 for your A. Best to double check with CAO and check the status of A's in A-levels with the other college websites.

Yea just to confirm this, as pathway said, A-level students pre-2010 with an A is still worth 150. This is applicable for all colleges. So If you had AAAA before 2010 then you get the 600 subtract 40 for the adjustment for medicine and you get 560 for your A's. Anyone doing A-levels this year will require 4 A*'s for the same maximum score. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

It must be because it says on the website for it !

It's not on the list :eek:

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/TC_Publications/Autoquals_updated_16th_April_2010_59583648.pdf

There's a spoofer in trinity :(

Hey, Pathway. Are you doing psychology?

Hey, Pathway. Are you doing psychology?

nope :). are you? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Allego

159. To think that if I had timed it a bit better, or spent more time on those silly patterns I wouldn't be in this mess is gutting :(

Piratequeen, don't worry just yet, you have to get your LC results right? I'm sitting on 159 too +560=719.

I'm a little bit mixed emotion, don't know whether to celebrate or cry just yet....guess I have to wait to see if I get a place. UCD would be ideal, but I would take NUI or RSCI.

I just hope the points for entry dont go up, then we are definitely gonna be beaten...damn, now I feel bad...:(

nope :). are you? ;)

Nope :D

• Advertisement

Yeah, I was just checking as well.

That said, it's a relatively new course, and recognition could have been applied for.

Given a couple of the other courses they list for biology, I would assume that this one would have a good chance of being added as well.

It's not terribly fair to imply that it's already there though, even if the language used is somewhat vague.

Allego wrote: »
    Piratequeen, don't worry just yet, you have to get your LC results right? I'm sitting on 159 too +560=719.

I'm a little bit mixed emotion, don't know whether to celebrate or cry just yet....guess I have to wait to see if I get a place. UCD would be ideal, but I would take NUI or RSCI.

I just hope the points for entry dont go up, then we are definitely gonna be beaten...damn, now I feel bad...:(

I'm on the same score: 552 + 167 = 719

We'll get a place...Somewhere. Of that I'm certain ;)

Nope :D

well now we both know where we stand :p

THAT IS SO FECKED UP!!!! Thanks for posting that link! I'm going to e-mail Trinners now and tell em off!!!! :mad:

well now we both know where we stand :p

Just had to be sure ;)

THAT IS SO FECKED UP!!!! Thanks for posting that link! I'm going to e-mail Trinners now and tell em off!!!! :mad:

you go girl and tell em pathway says spoof

Well, read my last post before you go for cannon mode! :D

Pathway, zenith, gerraroom ffs!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 notdoinmed

i did really really awful in my hpat i got 136!!!!
    so i was wondering if it is possible to take up a dentistry or law course this year and then repeat the hpat as i dont want to repeat the lc its too tough so what the procedure for that how do i get into the cao system in 2011

ANDDDDD

any suggestions how i can prepare for the 2011 hpat i had no idea how to prepare for it this yr . :confused:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Don't worry about it now.when i got my hpat results i felt just like you do now,gutted.i was sure that there was no way that I'd get medicine,so I spent the next few weeks moping about and feeling sorry about myself thinking about what could have been and how i would never get my dream course now.Anyway come offers day i got my first choice (Med in Nuig) and had enough points for cork and RCSI too.Don't make the same mistake as me and spend weeks feeling deperessed about something that you can't change,you might still get med and even if you don't it's not the end of the world.

• Advertisement

Well, read my last post before you go for cannon mode! :D

Pathway, zenith, gerraroom ffs!! :P

Don't mind if we do...Coming pathy? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement