Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything HPAT and medicine for 2010 (R1 points post #1247)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Zenith23 wrote: »
    Don't mind if we do...Coming pathy? :D

as long as i don't end up by the wall. Always bang me head :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Coming pathy? :D
    If you can't tell ... :rolleyes:

GO!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Allego

I'm on the same score: 552 + 167 = 719

We'll get a place...Somewhere. Of that I'm certain ;)

Where do you think you will end up Zenith? I feel better now someone offering some reassurance :)

Allego wrote: »
    Piratequeen, don't worry just yet, you have to get your LC results right? I'm sitting on 159 too +560=719.

I'm a little bit mixed emotion, don't know whether to celebrate or cry just yet....guess I have to wait to see if I get a place. UCD would be ideal, but I would take NUI or RSCI.

I just hope the points for entry dont go up, then we are definitely gonna be beaten...damn, now I feel bad...:(
    Ugh except I'm very confident that I did not get 600 points or close to it in the LC :( divine intervention would be appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 notdoinmed

Towel Boii wrote: »
    72, 57, 94. Got 223 overall and in the 100 percentile and 545 in the LC last year.

Does anyone one have any opinions or ideas as to which college might have a better medicine course?

ANSWER MY Q!!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 doconcall

Don't worry about it now.when i got my hpat results i felt just like you do now,gutted.i was sure that there was no way that I'd get medicine,so I spent the next few weeks moping about and feeling sorry about myself thinking about what could have been and how i would never get my dream course now.Anyway come offers day i got my first choice (Med in Nuig) and had enough points for cork and RCSI too.Don't make the same mistake as me and spend weeks feeling deperessed about something that you can't change,you might still get med and even if you don't it's not the end of the world.

Thanks for words of encouragement, I got 85th so I am a little confused, almost afraid to feel positive. It is agony. How is NUiG, are you enjoying it? Are you doing pre me? or how does that work? What was your first year like? the subjects lectures etc. Have you made friends? Would love to hear all about.

notdoinmed wrote: »
    ANSWER MY Q!!! :p
    YOUR question?! 0_o

Care to explain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

Allego wrote: »
    Where do you think you will end up Zenith? I feel better now someone offering some reassurance :)

I'm hoping UCD. Not sure about that but I'm pretty confident we'll get RCSI. It is very possible however that we could get NUIG, though I hope not. Still, I'll take medicine anywhere.

HPAT results are scaled and adjusted from year to year. That means that the differences in the points from year to year, like the LC, are very slight if not non-existant.

Leaving Cert results generally stay the same and so do HPAT scores or at least only differ slightly. We're 7 points ahead of NUIG last year. I predict a fluctuation of 1-5 points give or take. The fluctuation is due to various things i.e change in demand for medicine, number of places, LC difficulty, the influence of prep courses, repeaters etc. But, again, it's all scaled. Making for a pretty close resemblance to last years minimum point figures. :p

Hope it makes you feel even better ;)

i did really really awful in my hpat i got 136!!!!
    so i was wondering if it is possible to take up a dentistry or law course this year and then repeat the hpat as i dont want to repeat the lc its too tough so what the procedure for that how do i get into the cao system in 2011

ANDDDDD

any suggestions how i can prepare for the 2011 hpat i had no idea how to prepare for it this yr . :confused:

:pac:

**** are good for building confidence. And more importantly, giving you something to preoccupy yourself with for the year. :P

The problem with doing a course for the year is that you'll have to fork out seven grand if you do get medicine in 2011 as registration fees are subsidised only once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

I can't see how points for medicine can rise that much. In any other course a 30 point rise is a 30 point rise. But in medicine a 30 point rise will translate to 6 points as far as the 550+ points riser influence is concerned. Granted if the LC grouping on 520 move to 550 that's a genuine 30 point rise but these will be in the minority as far as affecting the total med entrants. The only other consideration is the HPAT scores and a simple 09/10 graph comparison should reveal answers there. Even a 3 point average rise on the HPAT is a lot of people. Given that 713 got you 2 colleges last year, if I had 719 I'd be pulling out my stetoscope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

dobh wrote: »
    in ucd 5 yr courses are offered to 600 pointers in l cert / very high achievers. i know someone who opted for it and changed back to the 6 yr course as very stressful. loved the 6 yr course as relatively easier start - not easy but not as stressful.

The 5 year courses are offered to those who have a HC3 in 2 science subjects...only a certain amount of people though.
    ev.daly wrote: »
    Sounds Like good advice, but is it ok to do a science course for 1 yr, and if ur lucky with repeating the HPAT, you can just swap over to med ...

Do they still consider the LC?

You have to completely reapply to the CAO, then reapply for the HPAT. So then you're up against the leaving certs of that year, and whatever the points end up to be for them. Its the same process, whatever your LC results were + your new HPAT score. You also have to pay fees for 1st year of the course if you're entering 1st year for the second time...around 8000 for med.
    I'm hoping UCD. Not sure about that but I'm pretty confident we'll get RCSI. It is very possible however that we could get NUIG, though I hope not

:eek::eek:
    Theres tons of people in my class who didn't have NUIG as their first choice, and I havn't heard of anyone being unhappy with it ;)

:eek::eek:
    Theres tons of people in my class who didn't have NUIG as their first choice, and I havn't heard of anyone being unhappy with it ;)

Rest assured. Nothing to do with the college. I hear, actually, that there's tons of craic down in NUIG. It's the location I have the problem with. I live in Dublin, you see. :D

Rest assured. Nothing to do with the college. I hear, actually, that there's tons of craic down in NUIG. It's the location I have the problem with. I live in Dublin, you see. :D
    You won't actually need a passport, contrary to what many Dubs seem to think! :p

It's expensive living away from home though, and leaving all my friends...dunno if I'm too much of a sap to move :P

You won't actually need a passport, contrary to what many Dubs seem to think! :p

I do recall saying that I'd take medicine anywhere! :p:p

It's expensive living away from home though, and leaving all my friends...dunno if I'm too much of a sap to move :P
    The expense is a genuine consideration, especially if you live within a few miles of one of the other unis.

There is no course in which you will make new friends quicker than in med though ... a lot of factors: small classes; a shared experience of struggling to get there; a common goal; the knowledge that you will be with one another for 5 / 6 years, and that it's going to be tough going ...

It tends to add up to creating a strong group bond.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Towel Boii

Yeah i'd love to go to dublin to do medicine but i've been out in Galway a few times before and its mental, even the SuperMac's had bouncers outside it =o. Anywhere is better than Leitrim to be honest, we only got proper broadband like 4 months ago. Towel Boii is my xbox gamer tag too :D.

The expense is a genuine consideration, especially if you live within a few miles of one of the other unis.

There is no course in which you will make new friends quicker than in med though ... a lot of factors: small classes; a shared experience of struggling to get there; a common goal; the knowledge that you will be with one another for 5 / 6 years, and that it's going to be tough going ...

Yeah true, but the expense really is a huge factor considering I live in Dublin and TCD, RCSI and UCD are all allow me to stay at home. Of course, RCSI and NUIG are the only colleges I realistically stand any chance of getting into so I really need to consider if I'm willing to move or not.

Did you go to med school?
    Towel Boii wrote: »
    Towel Boii is my xbox gamer tag too :D.

Haha! My PSN is SoaringBlade :D

YOUR question?! 0_o

Care to explain?

i so did ask a q i mite have flunked the hpatsy but i'm not that mad it must have gone bck a few pages :rolleyes:
    so i was wondering if it is possible to take up a dentistry or law course this year and then repeat the hpat as i dont want to repeat the lc its too tough so what the procedure for that how do i get into the cao system in 2011

ANDDDDD

any suggestions how i can prepare for the 2011 hpat i had no idea how to prepare for it this yr . :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

Just a CAO question, I repeated this year for medicine in order to do chemistry as a subject (as you are not allowed to matriculate with medicine). I got 580 points last year. I want to use this years points. I got 736 overall so I know Ive gotten UCC. Say if I did worse in my leaving this year, will they automatically take the points from last year as they were higher, or will they take this years points as I have stated that UCC is my 1st preference?? Im pretty sure it will be the latter but just to double check.

i so did ask a q i mite have flunked the hpatsy but i'm not that mad it must have gone bck a few pages :rolleyes:

ANDDDDD

You know I did answer your question above.

Xtina!! wrote: »
    Just a CAO question, I repeated this year for medicine in order to do chemistry as a subject (as you are not allowed to matriculate with medicine). I got 580 points last year. I want to use this years points. I got 736 overall so I know Ive gotten UCC. Say if I did worse in my leaving this year, will they automatically take the points from last year as they were higher, or will they take this years points as I have stated that UCC is my 1st preference?? Im pretty sure it will be the latter but just to double check.

I'm pretty sure it's the latter. Contact CAO just to double check though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 psychoduck

so next year is definitely almost everyone going to take the preparation course. i wonder whats going to happen, everyone will score almost full points then... this HPAT is a real ****e. maybe it reflected on the peoples abilities last year, but this year, well, you cant be sure. everything can be learned for. i should have known it :(

Aye, you quoted the wrong one. Don't worry about it.
    You would have to reapply through CAO, juat as you did this year.

BE AWARE!! ... if you take on First Year of another course, and get medicine next year, you will have to pay full fees for First Year Med ... see QueenOfLeon's post above, she explained it all.
    Did you go to med school?
    No, I'm humanities, as you might have guessed from my mock horror earlier at pathway's suggestion.

I did however share a house with 5 med students, so I can vouch from personal knowledge for the group dynamic that tends to arise. I've seen it at second-hand more recently with someone I know, doesn't seem to have changed much, if you're prepared to make any effort at all to get on with people, you will be assimilated into the group mind quite quickly and painlessly! :pac: ... much more so than for most courses.

Mind you, my experience is of Galway ... UCD med in my time was noted for being more cliquey ... but tbh I suspect that was probably just the particular group who were our peers there, having met a few of them at different events! >.<

Aye, you quoted the wrong one. Don't worry about it.

You would have to reapply through CAO, juat as you did this year.

BE AWARE!! ... if you take on First Year of another course, and get medicine next year, you will have to pay full fees for First Year Med ... see QueenOfLeon's post above, she explained it all.

No, I'm humanities, as you might have guessed from my mock horror earlier at pathway's suggestion.

I did however share a house with 5 med students, so I can vouch from personal knowledge for the group dynamic that tends to arise. I've seen it at second-hand more recently with someone I know, doesn't seem to have changed much, if you're prepared to make any effort at all to get on with people, you will be assimilated into the group mind quite quickly and painlessly! :pac: ... much more so than for most courses.

Mind you, my experience is of Galway ... UCD med in my time was noted for being more cliquey ... but tbh I suspect that was probably just the particular group who were our peers there, having met a few of them at different events! >.<
    daddy's paying :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Gaga OhLaLa

psychoduck wrote: »
    so next year is definitely almost everyone going to take the preparation course. i wonder whats going to happen, everyone will score almost full points then... this HPAT is a real ****e. maybe it reflected on the peoples abilities last year, but this year, well, you cant be sure. everything can be learned for. i should have known it :(

People did those courses and got below 100

A hpat course is not going to teach you to read fast, think logically and have a huge vocabulary overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 psychoduck

People did those courses and got below 100

A hpat course is not going to teach you to read fast, think logically and have a huge vocabulary overnight.

but in section 3 everybody naturally sucks, and thats the easiest section to learn for... i know those bloody picture sequences brought me down this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭HOBO123

not everyone sucks at it .. i love section 3 :D
    i HATE section 1 :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Allego

I'm hoping UCD. Not sure about that but I'm pretty confident we'll get RCSI. It is very possible however that we could get NUIG, though I hope not. Still, I'll take medicine anywhere.

HPAT results are scaled and adjusted from year to year. That means that the differences in the points from year to year, like the LC, are very slight if not non-existant.

Leaving Cert results generally stay the same and so do HPAT scores or at least only differ slightly. We're 7 points ahead of NUIG last year. I predict a fluctuation of 1-5 points give or take. The fluctuation is due to various things i.e change in demand for medicine, number of places, LC difficulty, the influence of prep courses, repeaters etc. But, again, it's all scaled. Making for a pretty close resemblance to last years minimum point figures. :p

Hope it makes you feel even better ;)

Yea, wow, very detailed response thank you. Yea I feel a whole lot better now. I'd love to think we would get an offer from UCD. That would be awesome. RCSI would be v.good also. I'm not to fussed on location, I just want to get my stethoscope out :D I can't see there being so much fluctuation. Although I guess we just gotta wait till August to find out!:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement