Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything HPAT and medicine for 2010 (R1 points post #1247)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

notdoinmed wrote: »
    daddy's paying :]

Well then make sure he's ready to pay the 1500 reg fee, student levy, first year fees (around 8000-9000), accomodation costs (3000 at the very least) and all your living expenses.

And why bother doing 1 year of dentistry/law if you know you're just gunna drop out and start medicine next year? You're just causing your parents unnecessary expenditure if you have no intention of carrying on with the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 psychoduck

HOBO123 wrote: »
    not everyone sucks at it .. i love section 3 :D
    i HATE section 1 :/

sorry, i tend to generalise a lot (a trait developed by writing bad persuasive essays :D), and after the HPAT the majority of people here said the third section was the hardest. i dont know, i didnt like the thing, that it was the last section, because i got so tired by then... i LOVE section 1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Still haven't opened my results...

Can't bring myself to look at them:( I just finished repeating on Thursday....aaaagghhh:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Duffman'05 wrote: »
    Still haven't opened my results...

Can't bring myself to look at them:( I just finished repeating on Thursday....aaaagghhh:(
    Give them to someone to open for you, mate. :)
    Xtina!! wrote: »
    Just a CAO question, I repeated this year for medicine in order to do chemistry as a subject (as you are not allowed to matriculate with medicine). I got 580 points last year. I want to use this years points. I got 736 overall so I know Ive gotten UCC. Say if I did worse in my leaving this year, will they automatically take the points from last year as they were higher, or will they take this years points as I have stated that UCC is my 1st preference?? Im pretty sure it will be the latter but just to double check.
    The CAO computer programme will check your first preference against what you are offering for admission. If from either year's results you qualify for that first preference, you will be offered it and the programme will move to the next candidate. If you don't qualify, it moves on to the second choice, and does the same.

Do check with someone else anyway to ease your mind, but I'd be 99% sure that's the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Xtina!! wrote: »
    Just a CAO question, I repeated this year for medicine in order to do chemistry as a subject (as you are not allowed to matriculate with medicine). I got 580 points last year. I want to use this years points. I got 736 overall so I know Ive gotten UCC. Say if I did worse in my leaving this year, will they automatically take the points from last year as they were higher, or will they take this years points as I have stated that UCC is my 1st preference?? Im pretty sure it will be the latter but just to double check.

I know I'm probably missing something really simple here but it doesn't add up in my tiny mind. You say you know you've gotten UCC because of last years points but you will have to use this years points because you didn't have chemistry last year. Medicine is the only course that you cannot combine different leaving certs for matriculation purposes. So based on last years points and this years HPAT you would have a med place somewhere but only the colleges that do not require chemistry. Or is there a pre-med in UCC for applicants without chemistry?

For UCC you have to wait till august to be sure?

Edit 2: Ah, I think I see what you're saying now. I'm such an imbecile I just had to write it out in my own words first. You are saying that because you have 736 based on last years leaving cert, it's inconceiveable that you would drop so much you would not get UCC based on this years leaving. To answer your question: they will take this years points for all medicine courses demanding chemistry and last years if higher for all medicine courses not demanding chemistry (and i'm 99% sure on that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 blogger 3000

wouldbedoc wrote: »
    Well done as well:) you should be on your way with 715 for Cork.

eh i wudnt be too sure but thanks for the encouragement an good luck in trinners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Ger2

It really seems by the bell curve and the percentiles from this year and last year that HPAT points are either the exact same or slightly down!

Does anyone have any predictions for points for Galway?
    Think it'll go above 720?
    Hope to god not!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Cizza

i got 742 overall and I'm going for Trinity, improved my hpat percentile by 14 percent from last year, which really surprised me as i was sure I'd done much worse, i was just wondering if this would be enough? are there many people with a higer overall score?
    oh and this is my first time using boards.ie so i don't know if ive done this post right?

Towel Boii wrote: »
    72, 57, 94. Got 223 overall and in the 100 percentile and 545 in the LC last year.

Does anyone one have any opinions or ideas as to which college might have a better medicine course?

i thought the max amount of marks you could get for section 3 was 82 and that there is no such thing as 100 percentile? :confused:

Taco Chips wrote: »
    :( 148, 43rd percentile. I don't know what I'm going to do. Stuck doing some ****ty science course for four years.

I just finished my first year of general science in Trinity and i wanted med last year and i just missed out on RCSI in random selection as i had the points. But science is AWESOME, the people are amazing and the social life wuz unreal, never met such amazing people. I redid the hpat this year and got 99th percentile and now i shud be going into med in trinity, doing science for the last year was one of the best things that ever happened to me and i now have friends for life....there's always hope! just keep going after what you want! :D

• Advertisement

wouldbedoc wrote: »
    I know, hearing all the controversy surrounding improving was really frustrating at times. Anyhow we've proven that with patience, practise and planning the Hpat can be studied for.:D

I did a preparation course for it last year and got 85th percentile

This year I did nothing as I'd given up most hope and was in a different course which i loved anyway so i only did 2 practise tests the week before and thats all I did all year in preparation and got 99th percentile...

I genuinely think its how you feel on they day and how calm you stay and how you time it. for me preparation did not work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 doconcall

Cizza wrote: »
    I did a preparation course for it last year and got 85th percentile

This year I did nothing as I'd given up most hope and was in a different course which i loved anyway so i only did 2 practise tests the week before and thats all I did all year in preparation and got 99th percentile...

I genuinely think its how you feel on they day and how calm you stay and how you time it. for me preparation did not work.

If you got 545 point in LC last year you were in the 85th (175?) percentile that adds up to 720 were you not offered a place with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 figiii

psychoduck wrote: »
    so next year is definitely almost everyone going to take the preparation course. i wonder whats going to happen, everyone will score almost full points then... this HPAT is a real ****e. maybe it reflected on the peoples abilities last year, but this year, well, you cant be sure. everything can be learned for. i should have known it :(

i did the institute course this year! i honestly found it great! obviously theres only a certain extent to which you can prepare for the hpat but it really was a great help. section 3 i was always terrified of but it was my strongest on the day! i would seriously consider doing it, its expensive but worth it! im positive i wouldnt have done as well if i hadnt!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Leah6

'...there is no such thing as 100 percentile..'

Cizza, there is! I know of someone who got 218 as an overall score and is in the 100th percentile. The maths behind the 100th percentile were explained in an earlier post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ashlingf

i thought the max amount of marks you could get for section 3 was 82 and that there is no such thing as 100 percentile? :confused:

My results are on the 100th percentile, and this is my first year doing it... I don't think that prep courses are worth it, but I would recommend getting the book of sample questions. That's really all you need! If you were the child that always did well in SATs and Drumcondra tests then you know that you're going to do well in the HPAT. I don't think that there's anyway to improve on your logic/reasoning skills but you can definitely calm your nerves and stuff on the day... That's really the only way to improve your result.....
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Towel Boii

No i think the Max amount of points for each section is 100 and add up to 300 total :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

It's weird the way everyone with 100th percentile have different scores...? One guy said 223, but my friend got 212 and 100th percentile.

anyone thinking of getting a recheck?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

Was just about to ask that. I'd consider it but it'll probably just be a waste of money.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

How much do rechecks cost?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

pathway33 wrote: »
    I know I'm probably missing something really simple here but it doesn't add up in my tiny mind. You say you know you've gotten UCC because of last years points but you will have to use this years points because you didn't have chemistry last year. Medicine is the only course that you cannot combine different leaving certs for matriculation purposes. So based on last years points and this years HPAT you would have a med place somewhere but only the colleges that do not require chemistry. Or is there a pre-med in UCC for applicants without chemistry?

For UCC you have to wait till august to be sure?

Edit 2: Ah, I think I see what you're saying now. I'm such an imbecile I just had to write it out in my own words first. You are saying that because you have 736 based on last years leaving cert, it's inconceiveable that you would drop so much you would not get UCC based on this years leaving. To answer your question: they will take this years points for all medicine courses demanding chemistry and last years if higher for all medicine courses not demanding chemistry (and i'm 99% sure on that)

Exactly!:) Im saying I know I have medicine i.e. the six year course with this years hpat and last years points. But UCC is my 1st preference this year, so I would need to use this years hpat and this years leaving cert points. As you said I dont see myself dropping to aroud 540, but maybe to 570 or at least 560 (always a possibility), and I dont see UCC, or any uni shooting up above 736.
    Alright thanks!:) Ive asked this question loads of time to my careers guidance teacher, but you can never be sure with them. I rang CAO last year, but I dont remember asking them this points related question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Leah6

Very unlikely that your score would change - it's an MCQ - based test like the Drumcondra test and not a subjective test like LC English.

They also have to adhere to best practice in test construction 'After the test, candidate response data are analysed to ensure individual questions and the test as a whole have performed as expected. Any question considered at this stage to have performed in an unsatisfactory manner is eliminated from the scoring'

'It's weird the way everyone with 100th percentile have different scores...? One guy said 223, but my friend got 212 and 100th percentile.'

Zam, Just like there is a window of scores for the 99th percentile, there is probably also a window of scores for the 100th percentile.

Leah6 wrote: »
    '...there is no such thing as 100 percentile..'

Cizza, there is! I know of someone who got 218 as an overall score and is in the 100th percentile. The maths behind the 100th percentile were explained in an earlier post.

that's amazing!! well done to those people! :)

doconcall wrote: »
    If you got 545 point in LC last year you were in the 85th (175?) percentile that adds up to 720 were you not offered a place with that?

sorry didn realise i sed 545..i actually got 540, so yeh i had the points for RCSI and Galway but i onli had rcsi and trinity down cuz my dad wuz moving to australia so i didnt want to move too as there was enough change and i missed out on random selection for RCSI so yeh! it was very frustrating!

ashlingf wrote: »
    My results are on the 100th percentile, and this is my first year doing it... I don't think that prep courses are worth it, but I would recommend getting the book of sample questions. That's really all you need! If you were the child that always did well in SATs and Drumcondra tests then you know that you're going to do well in the HPAT. I don't think that there's anyway to improve on your logic/reasoning skills but you can definitely calm your nerves and stuff on the day... That's really the only way to improve your result.....
    :)

you must be so happy!! well done!! :):) and yeh i agree... alot depends on the day...when i did it last year it was the day after my mocks finished and id been really sick thru them so i think my brain was just fried and i was exhausted, it really makes a difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Leah6 wrote: »
    Zam, Just like there is a window of scores for the 99th percentile, there is probably also a window of scores for the 100th percentile.

Fair enough, it just doesn't really make sense that they are meant to be "less than or equal to" those on the same percentile.

Towel Boii wrote: »
    No i think the Max amount of points for each section is 100 and add up to 300 total :).

thanks i was so confused! and well done! thats insane :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 doconcall

sorry didn realise i sed 545..i actually got 540, so yeh i had the points for RCSI and Galway but i onli had rcsi and trinity down cuz my dad wuz moving to australia so i didnt want to move too as there was enough change and i missed out on random selection for RCSI so yeh! it was very frustrating!

Thanks for clearing that up, as I was getting anxious, so close last year, I can imagine how frustrating. Congrats on this year's hpat. I am thinking of doing pharmacy if I dont get medicine. But still hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 med10girl

hi guys, new to boards.ie, joined after i got my hpat results yesterday. it was my second time doing it, now gotta sort out the cao. anybody able to offer any advice on where to put first? im between trinity and ucd...pros and cons from anybody studying medicine there now, or like me, and deciding where to go?thanks,would appreciate any feedback a LOT :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement