Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything HPAT and medicine for 2010 (R1 points post #1247)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭greenbetty69

thanks zenith, interesting i must say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

could you post a link to that page coz i cant seem to locate the stats on the acer website!

2009: http://www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/images/documents/2009performance.pdf

2010: http://www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/images/documents/2010performance.pdf

That's what I thought, QueensOfLeon. Looks like ACER's 2009 graph is inaccurate then...

Edit: Ah, I see what went wrong. I had the 09 graph minimised and the 9s looked like 0s. So 179 looked like 170. Sorry about that.. And *Phew*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Hookie

Allego wrote: »
    Hey Zen, I'm posting this using my mobile, but earlier I checked the graphs and I thought it was the opposite! I'll check again later after work, but unless I checked the wrong graph, I thought it looked good. Anyone else got the figures?

Edit- yea so there we go should slight decrease based on hpat alone...

Im with QueenOfLeon on this.. looks like points will go up a bit of anything cos last yr 173 was 84th and this year its 83rd percentile (what i got). Plus there's also the added demand of the extra 1000 people who sat it this year but a good few of those could be people who decided to sit it just for the laugh without really wanting med.

Im thinking tho for a course like med with such high demand and people trying their absolute best the points cant vary all that much from year to year maybe 3-5 but any more and i'd ve very surprised.. at least thats what im hoping..

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Allego

Hookie wrote: »
    Im with QueenOfLeon on this.. looks like points will go up a bit of anything cos last yr 173 was 84th and this year its 83rd percentile (what i got). Plus there's also the added demand of the extra 1000 people who sat it this year but a good few of those could be people who decided to sit it just for the laugh without really wanting med.

Im thinking tho for a course like med with such high demand and people trying their absolute best the points cant vary all that much from year to year maybe 3-5 but any more and i'd ve very surprised.. at least thats what im hoping..

I'm agreeing with you guys but I can't see it going up. In any case its all speculative ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Hookie

I'm agreeing with you guys but I can't see it going up. In any case its all speculative ;)

Yeah its a complete guessing game.. suppose we'll just have to sit tight til august!

And i thought waiting for HPAT results was bad.. :(

• Advertisement

1000 extra?

Does anyone know the actual number of applicants who sat the HPAT in both 2009 and 2010?

Also, will there be more places offered to accommodate the increased number of applicants?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

You have to remember, of those 1000 theres not going to be 1000 people eligible. There might be 40 or 50 people who got the points needed.

Yea, we really only have a third of the total data. To get the complete picture we need to see who gets what with the leaving cert/ a-levels.

I'm guessing by the amount of responses nobody has experience of round zero then? :)

aine92 wrote: »
    You have to remember, of those 1000 theres not going to be 1000 people eligible. There might be 40 or 50 people who got the points needed.

Maybe, but if you think about it - if the number of applicants increase and the number of places remain constant that means that this year a higher %ile will be needed by applicants in order to get medicine.

For example, taking things to extremes for simplicity, if say the number of applicants this year was 40,000 and there were still around 450 places, only people with 100th%ile would get in. Hence, I worry just a little bit if there are an extra thousand applicants...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 doconcall

If you go to the 2010 graph and blow it up the top 30 scores were achieved by 100 people, the next top 10 scores (in the region 190-180)were achieved by 170 people and the next top 5(179-174) by 190 people, keep going and if anyone has the time do the same for 2009. We can get the exact numbers.

• Advertisement

doconcall wrote: »
    If you go to the 2010 graph and blow it up the top 30 scores were achieved by 100 people, the next top 10 scores (in the region 190-180)were achieved by 170 people and the next top 5(179-174) by 190 people, keep going and if anyone has the time do the same for 2009. We can get the exact numbers.

We could do that, however it would still yield an inconclusive result in terms of who'll get medicine. The best source of information we could use would be a %ile graph on total score. Like the %ile of people who got 715, 725, 735 etc.

We'd also need a 'number of applicants' to 'number places' ratio for both years.

Even still, we wouldn't know due to many variables. The best way is to wait, I suppose, for August. Hope it works out for those who truly deserve it! Good luck to all! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Zenith23 wrote: »
    That's what I thought, QueensOfLeon. Looks like ACER's 2009 graph is inaccurate then...

The most accurate results you're gunna get is to have a look back through last years hpat thread where everyone gave their score and percentile. Unless they were lying, you'll get the exact figures there!
    Zenith23 wrote: »
    1000 extra?

Does anyone know the actual number of applicants who sat the HPAT in both 2009 and 2010?

Also, will there be more places offered to accommodate the increased number of applicants?

In 2009 there were about 3500, according to the newspaper articles at the time anyway. They won't increase the places just cos of the increased number of applicants, but the colleges might decide to anyway. Afaik, NUIG increased by 10 last year. Then there might also be inaccuracies in what qualifax is giving as the number of available places...the 90 that NUIG were quoting last year was a lot lower to the amount that went in...but some were non-EU students who have seperate spaces, so there may have been more exceptions like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Where are you getting that from? I think it'll go up across the board by 5 points minimum.

EDIT: There was definitely a post about TCD places being 690 right above this one 2 seconds ago... O_o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 figiii

wayhey wrote: »
    Where are you getting that from? I think it'll go up across the board by 5 points minimum.

where are you getting THAT from? its all speculation at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Cizza

blubloblu wrote: »
    It's for people who aren't waiting for leaving cert results. Could be HPAT repeaters, deferred applicants, mature applicants etc.

so you're seperate from all the people coming out of the leaving cert this year? does that mean there are fewer places??

I don't think 167 last year was 89th percentile. I was in the 96th with 194...don't think there was such a huge gap. I'll try find out the actual one....

yeh it couldnt have been cuz i wuz 85th percentile with 175

Cizza wrote: »
    yeh it couldnt have been cuz i wuz 85th percentile with 175

It wasn't, it was a mistake with last years graph.

It wasn't, it was a mistake with last years graph.

cool thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Leah6

Guys, ACER has a reputation to uphold upon which the success of their company relies. It is highly unlikely they have made a mistake in their data.

If you can't let it go (and that's sad in itself) why don't you contact ACER about their methodology and clear it up once and for all.

Get out into the sunshine, enjoy your well earned break, go party...the summer will pass you by...

Leah6 wrote: »
    Guys, ACER has a reputation to uphold upon which the success of their company relies. It is highly unlikely they have made a mistake in their data.

If you can't let it go (and that's sad in itself) why don't you contact ACER about their methodology and clear it up once and for all.

Get out into the sunshine, enjoy your well earned break, go party...the summer will pass you by...

You're right! God dammit, you're right. I'm gonna go catch some rays and forget about the HPAT for a while. :cool:

• Advertisement

I wonder how round zero works! Maybe in medicine nobody gets a round zero offer?

Cause how can they offer if they don't know everyone else's lc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 keenaa

I wonder how round zero works! Maybe in medicine nobody gets a round zero offer?

Cause how can they offer if they don't know everyone else's lc?

i think they have so many places reserved for mature students within in college!

keenaa wrote: »
    i think they have so many places reserved for mature students within in college!

The colleges have a certain amount of places reserved for different groups, eg, non-EU students. These places aren't part of whats quoted in the prospectus afaik. I'm not sure if this would include round 0 applicants as they're still applying the exact same way, they just don't have to wait for the LC results.

The colleges have a certain amount of places reserved for different groups, eg, non-EU students. These places aren't part of whats quoted in the prospectus afaik. I'm not sure if this would include round 0 applicants as they're still applying the exact same way, they just don't have to wait for the LC results.

Yea that's what I'm wondering if we can get offers in round zero when we have our results already. Possibly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dr. Ring

Hey guys, sorry if I'm asking a similar Q to the others in this thread but I'm kinda stuck and need some help and advice:

So I've applied for Medicine in UCC, Trinity and RCSI and I think my LC went as well as it could have. I got 133 in the HPAT which I know is a fail but I've heard these points are added to whatever result you obtain in the LC regardless. I think I may have lost an opportunity to do Med this year so I was planning to do something like nursing and transfer over. But now I've heard that if I were to do that, I'd have to pay €8000 to do 1st year Med because a grant only covers 1st year in college once. Now I'm questioning whether or not to defer for the year, repeat the HPAT and keep my LC results if they're as good as I'm hoping.

Any advice?

Also, I have applied for HEAR and if I were successful, and fell short of the Med entry requirements (e.g. UCC was 715 last year) by about 30 points, hypothetically, would I still be in with a shot to secure a place?

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Dr. Ring wrote: »
    So I've applied for Medicine in UCC, Trinity and RCSI and I think my LC went as well as it could have. I got 133 in the HPAT which I know is a fail but I've heard these points are added to whatever result you obtain in the LC regardless. I think I may have lost an opportunity to do Med this year so I was planning to do something like nursing and transfer over. But now I've heard that if I were to do that, I'd have to pay €8000 to do 1st year Med because a grant only covers 1st year in college once. Now I'm questioning whether or not to defer for the year, repeat the HPAT and keep my LC results if they're as good as I'm hoping.
    Not alone will a grant (if you are eligible) only cover *one* first year undergraduate course, but the same is true for the "Free Fees Initiative" ... in other words if you do first year anything this year, and then go back to do medicine next year, you will be liable for the full fees for Med for the first year ... about €8,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dr. Ring

Thanks randylonghorn for the help, any chance you know about the HEAR scheme being able to get students into courses if they fell short maybe 30 points?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Thanks randylonghorn for the help, any chance you know about the HEAR scheme being able to get students into courses if they fell short maybe 30 points?
    I honestly couldn't answer that one.

Yes, as a general principle, students under HEAR may get places at a slightly "discounted" level (if they need to ... many HEAR candidates get their points anyway, it's the financial support they badly need.)

How or to what extent that general principle applies to medicine though, sorry, I have absolutely no idea.

I haven't heard anyone talking about getting in through HEAR, but maybe if you ask in the Health Sciences Education forum, there may be some people there that know about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Hi, my friend did the hpat and got 105 but she doesnt like understand is that like a good mark?
    Like what does it mean?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement