Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything HPAT and medicine for 2010 (R1 points post #1247)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Tbh, it's not great.

105 + 560 (capped LC points) is 665 ... and the lowest entrants for medicine last year were 713 afair.

HPAT max is officially 300 I think ... though nobody ever scores anything like that, anything from ~ 190 to low two hundreds would be an excellent score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 james5001

Allego wrote: »
    You mean me? Well I only got 159 +560 = 719. I don't think the nature of the HPAT lends itself to study. All I did was do the one measely practice test under test conditions and went through the answers in depth. It really isn't a thing you can prepare for, you just have to better yourself holistically, in order to achieve a higher score.

That's what I think anyway. I'm not a big fan of it myself, but that's a different discussion.:)

Id disagree with this. I took a year out and did the hpat again, but this time i did a course for it. I got 98th percentile, as opposed to 53rd the previous year. I think this would be down to the course itself and to a lesser extent, the lack of lc pressure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Maybe Med

Hey guys,
    I know this is probably a long shot, but what's everybody's views on where CAO pints for Med this year are going to end up?
    I did my LC last year and got 590 points and I did the HPAT this year and got 170 points so that's 728 once you modulate the LC points.
    Enough?
    I'd appreciate anybody's opinions on this!
    Thanks guys!

Tbh, no-one can tell you for certain until August, but given that TCD was the highest last year (lowest was 713 I think), and Trinity was 728 in Round 1, 727 in Round 2, you can probably be pretty optimistic.

There will probably be some variation, but the general concensus around here seems to be that judging by the HPAT scores, it shouldn't be earth-shatteringly different this year.

Which colleges have you applied for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Maybe Med wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I know this is probably a long shot, but what's everybody's views on where CAO pints for Med this year are going to end up?
    I did my LC last year and got 590 points and I did the HPAT this year and got 170 points so that's 728 once you modulate the LC points.
    Enough?
    I'd appreciate anybody's opinions on this!
    Thanks guys!

I doubt there'll be all that much difference between this year and last year. Last years ranged from 713 to 728 on first round offers, and then ~711 to 724 on second round. You have a good score, you should be fine for rcsi/nuig/ucc anyway, and probably the other 2. They'll all probably differ some way but not any more than a few points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 samehere

james5001 wrote: »
    Id disagree with this. I took a year out and did the hpat again, but this time i did a course for it. I got 98th percentile, as opposed to 53rd the previous year. I think this would be down to the course itself and to a lesser extent, the lack of lc pressure
    as i'm very much deppressed from my result this year i decided to take any other course this year and redo HPAT again in2011 so will u pls tell me how can i prepare it like i'm willing to take a course for it whatelse can help??

james5001 wrote: »
    hi james i wonder r u a person from some prep course advertisers as in ur every post u insist to take a prep course for hpat if u got 98th percentile can u send ur results on this thread as one person who got 100th percentile did to prove

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Anyone have experience with, or even hear of, scores from sections 1, 2 and 3 not adding up to the total given on the results page?
    e.g. 44, 53, 61 = 157

replies asap would be very helpful, as the re-check deadline is this friday! thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

Anyone have experience with, or even hear of, scores from sections 1, 2 and 3 not adding up to the total given on the results page?
    e.g. 44, 53, 61 = 157

replies asap would be very helpful, as the re-check deadline is this friday! thanks

For the breakdown they could have used decimals and rounded up but it didn't round up when they are added together. This has happened to people and it was either mentioned in this thread or last years one, can't quite remember,

samehere wrote: »
    hi james i wonder r u a person from some prep course advertisers as in ur every post u insist to take a prep course for hpat if u got 98th percentile can u send ur results on this thread as one person who got 100th percentile did to prove
    Firstly, if he's a shill, he's not very good at it, as I would have to go search through his past posts to figure out which of the several courses available he actually took.

Secondly, if you have a problem or issue with a post, please use the Report Post function ( triangular "danger" icon to the left of the particular post) rather than starting a potential argument on-thread.

Thirdly, please note that textspeak is extremely unwelcome on boards.ie

All that said, welcome along ... you'll get used to the way we do things around here soon enough! ;):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭ORLY?

e.g. 44, 53, 61 = 157

I'd assume that the scenario is the same as in the GAMSAT. The scores for the individual sections are shown to the nearest whole number, but the decimals are included for calculating your overall score which I assume is also rounded to the nearest whole number.

e.g. it may really be 43.6 (44), 52.6 (53), 60.6 (61) = 156.8 (157) or similar.

e.g. 44, 53, 61 = 157

Hey,
    I had that same problem when I got my score too so I e-mailed them to try and sort it out and this is the exact reply I got;

Your overall score is indeed 170. As explained on your results’ page : “The Overall Score is an unweighted average of the three Section scores, statistically calculated from several decimal places then rounded. It is not possible for candidates to replicate this process.”

My 3 sections added up to 171 but then they seem to round them all.
    Hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I know this is pretty belated, but well done everyone! I think most of you are happy with your HPAT results, that's fantastic! Hopefully I'll be seeing a couple of you around RCSI next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

Zenith23 wrote: »
    2010: http://www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/images/documents/2010performance.pdf

2009: http://www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/images/documents/2009performance.pdf

That's what I thought, QueensOfLeon. Looks like ACER's 2009 graph is inaccurate then...

Very interesting to see acer's data- well found!!

Piste wrote: »
    I know this is pretty belated, but well done everyone! I think most of you are happy with your HPAT results, that's fantastic! Hopefully I'll be seeing a couple of you around RCSI next year :)

Agree with Piste -people must remember even if disappointed with your percentile score that you are competing against the top 3,000 plus in this country and indeed some from UK etc. So a score of even 10th percentile is an excellent result in this competitive field.

Delighted to see Piste is enjoying RCSI- if my memory is accurate not sure that was her first choice but all Medical courses in Ireland are excellent and there is great friendship because you all work so hard!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Joseph...

Is it fair to say that more people with high points would have done the hpat last year due to an accumulation of possibly 3 years before of people who would have got 550,555,560,565 and didnt get into medicine as opposed to this year, where there was only last years hpat repeats with high points...does this mean that the points will go down??
    on the other hand did more people do the hpat this year than last year...does anyone have the figures...do you guys still think that galway will be the lowest??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

drrkpd wrote: »
    Agree with Piste -people must remember even if disappointed with your percentile score that you are competing against the top 3,000 plus in this country and indeed some from UK etc. So a score of even 10th percentile is an excellent result in this competitive field.

Delighted to see Piste is enjoying RCSI- if my memory is accurate not sure that was her first choice but all Medical courses in Ireland are excellent and there is great friendship because you all work so hard!!!!

You've a great memory ;) I am indeed loving it :)

Are we back on topic everyone? No more squabbling? Excellent!

That's a good point another poster made about points possibly being lower due to fewer repeat students, then again I have heard of a fair few people getting high LC results and having to repeat the HPAT.

Delighted all back on track. My memory of last year also tells me the whole forum was locked after infighting!!

As regards possible lower admission points do we know yet how many sat HPAT??

Last year was 3,200. How many this year??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

drrkpd wrote: »
    Delighted all back on track. My memory of last year also tells me the whole forum was locked after infighting!!

As regards possible lower admission points do we know yet how many sat HPAT??

Last year was 3,200. How many this year??

I heard 4,000 from a bunch of people for this year...:eek:

Zenith23 wrote: »
    I heard 4,000 from a bunch of people for this year...:eek:

The Irish Med Times said in an article back in February that in 2009, 2978 people sat the HPAT. I can't imagine there being a huge variation on this number for 2010? I hope, anyway.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I've just deleted a bunch of posts that had dragged this thread off topic. Last year a thread on the HPATs had to be locked due to bitchiness and squabbling; we don't want that to happen again.
    Please refer to the Leaving Cert Charter which applies to this forum also. Any more posts that go against the charter (including personal abuse and off-topic posting) will result in infractions and/or bans. If you have a problem with any post, use the report post buttonreport.gif. If you have a problem with a moderating decision, PM the moderator in question; do not argue about it on thread.

With all that out the way, back on topic everyone! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 james5001

samehere wrote: »

Im not sure how to post the results up, but I got 195 points and I was in the 98th percentile. And I Know the guy who got 100 percentile you are talking about. We went to school together and did the same course.

thanks james5001 now i thinks no need to send them on here anyway if you want i think its something like scan and send just as we do in e mails

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jeanie123

Xtina!! wrote: »
    Just a CAO question, I repeated this year for medicine in order to do chemistry as a subject (as you are not allowed to matriculate with medicine). I got 580 points last year. I want to use this years points. I got 736 overall so I know Ive gotten UCC. Say if I did worse in my leaving this year, will they automatically take the points from last year as they were higher, or will they take this years points as I have stated that UCC is my 1st preference?? Im pretty sure it will be the latter but just to double check.

I had a similar experience a few years ago and was told that points and matriculation subjects must be from the same year. So you cannot get your points in one year and matric subjects in another year. On this basis I think you will be judged on this years leaving certificate, but you must have all the matric subjects and the points

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

Right so,iv just read the independent online and it claimed that the majority of people who took a year out to study solely on the hpat were very successful.I think this begs the question-is the hpat now just another subject that can be prepared for(its been proven that it can) and is it just going to go the same the LC has with grind schools as people will splash hugely on courses and ultimately will be successful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Anthony16 wrote: »
    Right so,iv just read the independent online and it claimed that the majority of people who took a year out to study solely on the hpat were very successful.I think this begs the question-is the hpat now just another subject that can be prepared for(its been proven that it can) and is it just going to go the same the LC has with grind schools as people will splash hugely on courses and ultimately will be successful?

Theres a few factors in how people improved between the year they did the leaving cert and this year. Obviously there was a lot less pressure on the people doing the hpat while not in Leaving cert, as the hpat is around the time of the mocks, just before the orals, when schoolwork and study is piling up. As well as that, doing it the second time round means you've already had experience of the exam, conditions and the time allowance. Most courses are only offering practice and advice on time management which you'll already have experienced last year.

I know a lot of people who resat the hpat while in college and did a lot better without doing any prep courses. You can't stop people from preparing for it by doing practice tests, but at least acer aren't releasing the actual hpat exams so anything else published are only going to be rough guidelines. But ya, people are going to splash out on whatever courses claim to improve your hpat. Its impossible to tell, however, if its a person's natural aptitude for the exam or the preparation course that gives them a high result, as theres such a variation in the statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Anthony16 wrote: »

The Independent had a serious anti-HPAT campaign last year, so I wouldn't be too taken with any of its claims. Nothing has been proven.

EDIT: Just to add, demand for medicine is apparently down 9% this year, and other health science courses are up, probably as a result of poor HPAT performers changing their CAO forms after they got their HPAT results. I'm not sure, but I don't think this will correlate with a drop in points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

A Neurotic wrote: »
    The Independent had a serious anti-HPAT campaign last year, so I wouldn't be too taken with any of its claims. Nothing has been proven.

EDIT: Just to add, demand for medicine is apparently down 9% this year, and other health science courses are up, probably as a result of poor HPAT performers changing their CAO forms after they got their HPAT results. I'm not sure, but I don't think this will correlate with a drop in points.

Just curious, but what do you reckon the points range will be for Med this year.

I'm on 719 and I'm quite uncertain :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 keenaa

EDIT: Just to add, demand for medicine is apparently down 9% this year, and other health science courses are up, probably as a result of poor HPAT performers changing their CAO forms after they got their HPAT results. I'm not sure, but I don't think this will correlate with a drop in points.[/QUOTE]

Just wondering where are you getting your figures?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

keenaa wrote: »
    Just wondering where are you getting your figures?

Irish Independent. Can't find the link, think it was Tuesday's paper. Probably in other papers as well, if the CAO released the data on course applications.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement