Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything HPAT and medicine for 2010 (R1 points post #1247)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

thats a fair point but you havta look at it the other way round too. I mean is someone that gets 530 or 540 in the LC but does well at the HPAT more likely to be a good docor than someone who gets 600 and does badly in the HPAT?

Points in the leaving cert don't make you a good doctor. They indicate that you are capable of rote learning, memorising, etc which yes, will help you through med school but don't necessarily mean you can care for your patients properly. A patient doesn't need a doctor to ream off medical facts at them and show how good their memorising skills are, they need a doctor who they can trust, who can empathise with them, who has good communication skills, aswel as having a good base of medical knowledge.
    It could be argued that someone who gets 580,590, 600 is more suited because they've shown the hard work and perseverance that it takes to get that many points so they have work ethic to do medicine

The Leaving Cert also isn't a great indicator of how you'll handle the workload in college. Someone who achieved their 600 with maybe languages, business subjects, etc could have more difficulty than someone who got in the mid 500s with all the science subjects. Its also all about what you're interested in, the Leaving cert subjects do not always appeal to people so once they get to college and start studying something they are interested in, they are more likely to put the work in.
    medicine is all about hard work and endeavor

Med school is, yes. When you become a doctor you're becoming one of the most trusted members of society, you hold a whole lot of responsibility, and while its important that you can use what you've learned in college you also need a personality suitable to your career. If people pass their final exams it doesn't matter whether they got 540 or 600 in the Leaving cert, they're fully qualified doctors and what differentiates one from the other is how they deal with their patients. Thats where other qualities come in that can't be tested by the LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Hookie

The HPAT debate can go on as long as the LC debate.. there's always gonna be arguments for and against it. Personally I'm glad we have it cos it gives me a chance to do med without repeating the LC.

If you look the hpat in terms of assessing "top" students I think it's a good idea. Realistically to qualify for med you have to score above average in BOTH the leaving cert AND the hpat. So it can be seen to some extent as a way of selecting the elite of the elite. Students who can manage top LC scores and top hpat scores surely have potential to be great doctors.

Then again at the moment it's possible to get in with just average LC points but if you can get in with that and still manage to graduate from med school then surely you've proven you're capable of being a good doc.. so the hpat works right?

Having said that I do think they're neglecting the fact that not all people who study medicine will work with patients (after qualification) therefore the hpat is rendered somewhat useless. You can study medicine and go on to work in research or labs.. much of which wouldn't require great empathy or interpersonal skills etc but great intelligence and scientific ability.

I can see this debate going on for a while.. there's always going to be arguments for and against the HPAT, guess we won't really know the effect of this new entry system until we all qualify as doctors and they can see how great we are :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

Does the **** course included 'middle of the sequence' and 'missing segment' questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Leah6

'If people pass their final exams it doesn't matter whether they got 540 or 600 in the Leaving cert, they're fully qualified doctors and what differentiates one from the other is how they deal with their patients.'

While its true that the number of points is no indicator of whether or not someone will make a good doctor, how they deal with their patients is only ONE of the differentiating factors. It's the combination of communication skills, problem solving skills, pattern recognition skills etc that makes a good doctor - in fact all of the skills the HPAT is designed to test for.

'Points in the leaving cert don't make you a good doctor. They indicate that you are capable of rote learning,'

What a load of cobblers! There are many subjects that test for problem solving skills, analytical skills and critical thinking skills, HL maths, applied maths, physics...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 james5001

Mr Cawley wrote: »
    Does the **** course included 'middle of the sequence' and 'missing segment' questions?
    It does. It covers basically every type of question that comes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Leah6 wrote: »
    What a load of cobblers! There are many subjects that test for problem solving skills, analytical skills and critical thinking skills, HL maths, applied maths, physics...

And how many 600-pointers do you think have an A1 in HL maths, applied maths, and physics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Leah6

A considerable few as it happens! Newspaper coverage of the people who got 6 or more A1s over the past few years indicates that many of them took these subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dr. Ring

Hey Guys.

In general, how are the people who achieved good to great HPAT results feel about their LC results?

I, for one, am quietly confident with my LC (here's hoping), but my HPAT wasn't good- at all (133).

I've resigned myself to the fact that I won't be doing medicine this year and I think I may give the prep courses for the HPAT a try.

But anyway, how did the successful HPAT students fare in the LC?

A considerable few as it happens! Newspaper coverage of the people who got 6 or more A1s over the past few years indicates that many of them took these subjects.

So? The only material you'll use as a doctor is what you've learned during the course and experience. The Leaving Cert is only a pathway to the course, what you learn in it generally won't apply after college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Hannah Emilie

well i got in the 75th percentile in the HPAT which i know isn't great but i feel WAY less confident bout the l.c results. i'm just soo annoyed at myself coz i know i can do SOOOO much better than i did!! :(:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Saermegil

I did great in the HPAT but I'm dreading the HL maths results - I did badly - and I have no real indication of whether I've passed!

As far as the other subjects go, I'm reasonably happy with them...

How hard would it be to pass at maths? I know I did badly - but would it be generally hard to fail?

Saermegil wrote: »
    I did great in the HPAT but I'm dreading the HL maths results - I did badly - and I have no real indication of whether I've passed!

As far as the other subjects go, I'm reasonably happy with them...

How hard would it be to pass at maths? I know I did badly - but would it be generally hard to fail?
    Theres really no point spending the next few days worrying about it :) No one can really say how you've done in it, just try and forget about it til you find out for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Assuming that these 'considerable few' actually represent more than a tiny proportion of 600 pointers, how many of those who got an A1 in all these subjects (or even one of them) also blew the HPAT and missed out on medicine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me with my question - can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

Currently I'm on 719 points and I am - as far as matrics are concerned - eligible for all the Unis but Cork as I don't have Chemistry.

This means if I actually do get medicine I'll most likely have to do premed.

I'm just wondering if I DO do premed, would it be possible to transfer to cork next year assuming I pass premed Chemistry?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Zenith23 wrote: »
    Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me with my question - can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

Currently I'm on 719 points and I am - as far as matrics are concerned - eligible for all the Unis but Cork as I don't have Chemistry.

I'm just wondering if I DO do premed, would it be possible to transfer to cork next year assuming I pass premed Chemistry?

Thanks
    Transfer between universities? Don't think so.

Thanks

I really doubt it. Afaik passing premed only qualifies you to go onto first med in the college you're already in, not to transfer. If you're dead set on going to Cork and not doing the 6 years in another uni you'd have to repeat the Leaving with chemistry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Saermegil

Theres really no point spending the next few days worrying about it :) No one can really say how you've done in it, just try and forget about it til you find out for sure.

I know - It's just that someone asked about people like me - that had a good HPAT score but still worried about their other results!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭hurdygurdy85

For those of you hoping to get Medicine this year, the best of luck with the LC results tomorrow. I didn't get anywhere near enough the points for med when i did my LC back in the day, so I went off and did a science degree and am starting Graduate Medicine this Sept. So for those of you who don't get in first time (and I hope you do!) just remember that there are more ways to get into Medicine now than ever before. So keep on trying, if you try hard enough, you'll get in. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

Just wondering how many places are in medicine in each of the colleges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Hannah Emilie

For those of you hoping to get Medicine this year, the best of luck with the LC results tomorrow. I didn't get anywhere near enough the points for med when i did my LC back in the day, so I went off and did a science degree and am starting Graduate Medicine this Sept. So for those of you who don't get in first time (and I hope you do!) just remember that there are more ways to get into Medicine now than ever before. So keep on trying, if you try hard enough, you'll get in. :)

Thats exactly what i'm hoping to do!! i'm just praying i get science now!! did you do science in TCD by any chance??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭hurdygurdy85

Just wondering how many places are in medicine in each of the colleges?

If you're asking about the number of Graduate Medicine places in Ireland:

The Numbers
    Year- Applicants-Places
    2010 746 180 (24.1%)

Number of places before rumoured additional places:
    UL: 50 RCSI: 30 UCD: 20 UCC: 20

The cut-offs were expected to fall for some of the colleges this year due to the allocation of additional places. However it seems the cut-offs were raised higher than anyone expected. So nobody is sure whether or not the additional places actually materialised........

General info about the number of places in the Irish courses and how to apply for them is at:
    http://careers.nuim.ie/publications/documents/GAMSATMedicine2010.pdf

4 colleges do the Graduate Medicine courses in the UK-info at http://www.gamsatuk.org/

There's also a really useful thread about GAMSAT + graduate medicine here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055681118&highlight=gamsat

Thats exactly what i'm hoping to do!! i'm just praying i get science now!! did you do science in TCD by any chance??

I did Microbiology in UCD, started off with a general science entry and then chose micro in my last two years. You need to be careful when considering doing a primary degree and then intending to go into medicine as a graduate.You need a 2.1 minimum in your first honours degree and a gamsat score that meets the requirements. They wont consider you if you dont have those two things. There are no interviews so once you have the degree mark they require, selection is based solely on your gamsat performance. People seem to be scoring better and better every year looking at the cut-offs over the last few years-competition is getting tough but its still possible if you apply yourself!

Info on 2010 cut-offs here:
    http://www2.cao.ie/points/GraduateMedicine2010-Round-0.pdf

Good luck guys! :)

Hope ye all got on ok! :)

Really really hope points don't go up...due to a freak unexpected LC results I could get in if points remain the same...aaah!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

I have 717... The wait for Monday is killing me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Cizza

742...i want trinity but ive no idea if its enough...Monday couldn't come sooner, i just want to know!!

Really really hope points don't go up...due to a freak unexpected LC results I could get in if points remain the same...aaah!!
    Well done on the LC! What are you at? :)

Well done on the LC! What are you at? :)
    I'm at 717! Please God let the points for RCSI stay the same...!

I would think ye're all fairly ok for some college at least :) It'll all depend on how much it fluctuates but from the general trends in the hpat I don't think there'll be much variation, it'll just depend on what colleges people have applied for. Go out tonight, enjoy yerselves and then work it out on Monday! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Thanks
    You'd really be best off contacting the UCC medicine/admissions department with a question like that tbh. :)

Well done everyone on yere results today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Cizza wrote: »
    742...i want trinity but ive no idea if its enough...Monday couldn't come sooner, i just want to know!!

You tank! I'd say you're sorted for Trinity. Well done :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement