Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything HPAT and medicine for 2010 (R1 points post #1247)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 happy23

747 trinity please god!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Lads, if you're up in the 740s you're defo after getting Trinity tbh. You're not even borderline! In the 730s too I'd say.

Fair play, I'll see ye around up there next year! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 blogger 3000

hey i did my leaving last year and was wondering whether i'd havta do premed in galway if i got offered med there,

i got 580 and A1s in bio, ag science and an A2 in chem, i didnt do physics but got an A2 in higher maths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 james5001

hey i did my leaving last year and was wondering whether i'd havta do premed in galway if i got offered med there,

i got 580 and A1s in bio, ag science and an A2 in chem, i didnt do physics but got an A2 in higher maths

If you did the 2 science subjects in the same sitting of the leaving cert(ie the leaving cert year youre using to calculate your points) then no, i think you can skip pre med

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

A certain amount of people get offered the 5 year course, as long as they've done 2 sciences, then depending on their combined LC/HPAT results (the top whatever percentage are offered the 5 year).
    Do premed tho :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

709 - completely gutted :(

Congratulations to everyone - hope it'll be good news for you on Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Please :(

Joseph... wrote: »
    whats gonna b the minimum for all colleges this year?715??

Id go with that. If not even slightly more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 wouldbedoc

I know there's really only 3 days left but the wait feels painstakingly long:( I hope there won't be too much deviation from the first round last year-live in hope I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 who.dunnit

Best of luck to all those waiting for the offers on Monday! Just wondering if anyone hear has heard of first dents/pharmacists etc in any college who did a bad hpat last year but got very good lc results. they went off to college for the year and then repeated the hpat back whenever it was on. So they can't be discriminated against and not allowed into med but does that mean their 2nd year class will be alot smaller and hence fewer dentists/pharmacist graduating in a few years time?? just a thought!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Original_Name

Just wondering what degree of change we are expecting in points this year?
    What would you say the points for Trinity will be?
    Surely it can't be too much higher than last year?!

Just wondering what degree of change we are expecting in points this year?
    What would you say the points for Trinity will be?
    Surely it can't be too much higher than last year?!

Id say itll be maybe 5 points more. theres a 10percent increase in applicants from last year. i know this may not constitute an increase, but the applicants wont bring down the points as most of them will have an idea that they will be close or over the points threshold, otherwise they probably wouldnt apply

Joseph... wrote: »
    but the amount of students getting 550 or above has dropped also from 2.5-2.3 which may not seem significant but thats an 8% decrease (.2 is 8% of 2.5).The points may stay around the same...its not out of the equation:confused:

Oh right, I didnt know that. Theyll probably stay around the same so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭demolitionman

how many undergrad medicine places is there in ireland? not graduate entry, just undergrad entry

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

how many undergrad medicine places is there in ireland? not graduate entry, just undergrad entry

I checked this for myself 2 years ago by emailing the 5 colleges. As far as I remember it was 450. I don't think it could have changed significantly since then..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Trinity, 731.
    UCD, 725.
    RCSI, 723.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I have 707. Do we think I'll get somewhere with the access programme? Says a point reduction of around 10-20% is normal, so I need 1/2%...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kiwi2

zam wrote: »
    Trinity, 731.
    UCD, 725.
    RCSI, 723.

Why do you this?? What do you think NUIG will be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Trinity, 731.
    UCD, 725.
    RCSI, 723.
    Looks very high to me.

No-one knows for sure, anyway, until Monday, so speculation is pretty pointless.

• Advertisement

Believe me I know it's high! Very depressing. It's not speculation and I have no reason to lie, I suppose you'll see for yourselves on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    HEAR. It's not no. Why would it be sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 l.c2010

Trinity, 731.
    UCD, 725.
    RCSI, 723.
    How do you know??
    I'm on 722!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 DessieOH

Most likely a leaked newspaper source.

I need to find out NUIG med points!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

I'm remaining sceptical over those points to be honest too high by comparison to last years points, even at the first round.

Gap between Trinity and UCD is also suspiciously small, usually even with CAO points it's been a little wider in the past.

I know it's tough but without a given source I advise the majority of posters to ignore what's posted. Last year someone set up a CAO twitter and posted fake med points totals to a few people, causing a lot of needless stress. I was in your position last year (granted I wasn't hoping for medicine) and it wasn't until someone scanned the copy of the independent that I knew for definite where I stood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 SuchALiar

Welcome to Boards, pr0.

There are no guarantees at this stage, but given that 728 was the Trinity first round score last year, and it was the highest of the colleges for entry scores, you should be feeling pretty optimistic I'd say.

Did you do your LC last year?

The points for Trinity Medicine were 723 last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

SuchALiar wrote: »
    The points for Trinity Medicine were 723 last year.

It was 728 on the first round, and dropped a point or two for each subsequent round of offers, ending at 723.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Believe me I know it's high! Very depressing. It's not speculation and I have no reason to lie, I suppose you'll see for yourselves on Monday.

Do you know someone who works in the Irish Times? What's your source?

Also, I'm pretty sure that Trinity was 723 during the first round offers last year, the CAO points published for courses are always the first round offers, it would make no sense to do anything else.
    NUIG was 712 last year on the first round and it dropped a few points on the second round yet 712 IS the displayed points for medicine 2009 in NUIG now.

• Advertisement

I have a reliable source I just can't reveal it. You can choose to ignore me if you want like, just thought I might help people out by posting it! Believe me I'll be happy if it's wrong, found out last night that I won't be doing medicine :( Boo!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement