Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything HPAT and medicine for 2010 (R1 points post #1247)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kiwi2

I heard that you can find out cao offers before 6am if you get the papers in Dublin??... Apparently they are out the night before in some places!!..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 CouldBe

Were points not a bit higher last year in the first round? http://www2.cao.ie/points/lvl8_09.pdf Maybe Im reading this wrong but that's what it seemed like to me? And points should drop in subsequent rounds by a bit too so there's still hope...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Do you know someone who works in the Irish Times? What's your source?

Also, I'm pretty sure that Trinity was 723 during the first round offers last year, the CAO points published for courses are always the first round offers, it would make no sense to do anything else.
    NUIG was 712 last year on the first round and it dropped a few points on the second round yet 712 IS the displayed points for medicine 2009 in NUIG now.
    Trinity's first round was 728 but dropped. NUIG was 713 on the first round and only dropped to either 711 or 712.

My bad, I got confused about what midpoint was but I think I get it now!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Trinity's first round was 728 but dropped. NUIG was 713 on the first round and only dropped to either 711 or 712.

Maybe I'm wrong but I recall trinity being listed as 723 on the day of the first round offers last year. Not that it matters much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Maybe I'm wrong but I recall trinity being listed as 723 on the day of the first round offers last year. Not that it matters much.

Positive that Trinity was 728 or 729.

Well if Trinity was 728 last year then these points zam posted are probably accurate especially since points for other courses have been leaked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Original_Name

So if these are the correct points, the final offers for trinity should be about 725/726??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sony6

What is midpoint referring to? Zam any idea what Cork or Galway are?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

sony6 wrote: »

I'm afraid not! I only checked my own courses (being greedy and all that).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

In fairness to zam he's not exactly new to the lc forum or anything.

Any idea of vet med by any chance?

sony6 wrote: »

I think the midpoint is the average amount of points that successful applicants had for a certain course. I'd say the points for NUIG and UCC are similar to UCD and RCSI judging by last year points. Galway might be slightly lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 blogger 3000

does anyone know when do u find out whether u'll be in the 5 year course or the 6 year course for NUIG?

i dont wana jump the gun but whether i get into the 5 year course or not will decide my decision

does anyone know when do u find out whether u'll be in the 5 year course or the 6 year course for NUIG?

i dont wana jump the gun but whether i get into the 5 year course or not will decide my decision

Well if Galway is your first preference and you get the points required you will have to accept the course regardless of if you get the 5 or 6 year one unless you would prefer no course at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

zam wrote: »
    I have a reliable source I just can't reveal it. You can choose to ignore me if you want like, just thought I might help people out by posting it! Believe me I'll be happy if it's wrong, found out last night that I won't be doing medicine :( Boo!

I'm sorry but frankly I find that to be a load of BS. There's no way CAO would leak any of that info, and if they did then the 'reliable source' you're talking about would be in a heap of trouble.

My guesses are
    TCD - 725-735
    UCD - 720-725
    RCSI - 717-720
    UCC - 717-720
    NUIG - 714-717

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Trinity, 731.
    UCD, 725.
    RCSI, 723.

725????

If I've missed my course by 2 points I'll cry:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

who.dunnit wrote: »
    Best of luck to all those waiting for the offers on Monday! Just wondering if anyone hear has heard of first dents/pharmacists etc in any college who did a bad hpat last year but got very good lc results. they went off to college for the year and then repeated the hpat back whenever it was on. So they can't be discriminated against and not allowed into med but does that mean their 2nd year class will be alot smaller and hence fewer dentists/pharmacist graduating in a few years time?? just a thought!!

A friend of mine repeated his HPAT and improved significantly. A lot, but not all by any means, of students in courses like Dentistry/ Pharmacy etc would've been Med hopefuls, it doesn't necessarily mean they'll drop out if they end up liking their course.
    Also, there's no shortage of pharmacists, physios, OTs, dentists etc at the moment anyway. In fact, a lot of them are LOOKING for jobs. No harm.
    Trinity, 731.
    UCD, 725.
    RCSI, 723.

Hmmm....
    Trinity went down to 723 last year. I doubt there'd be such a HUGE increase. Perhaps on 1st round offers, but certainly not in subsequent rounds.
    SuchALiar wrote: »
    The points for Trinity Medicine were 723 last year.

Yah. On 4th round random selection.
    Weeks after 1st round offers.
    Also, I'm pretty sure that Trinity was 723 during the first round offers last year,

See above. I got a 3rd round offer and I was above 723.

Best of luck to all of you holding out for Medicine tomorrow.
    I remember, last year, I stayed up all night until the places were published at 6am... and when I found out I got it I woke my whole family. :D

Also, I was on 726 last year (I went up to 728 w/ LC rechecks, but that played no part in securing my place tbh, as rechecks take ages to come back anyway.)
    I got offered UCD Premed, which I accepted. I'd moved into UCD, spent a week there and only THEN did I get my offer for Trinity Medicine. 3rd round.

If you're like, 1 or 2 points off Medicine or your preferred college, there's still a bit of hope.
    I was a fully registered UCD student before I even got offered Trinity though!

(Also, speculating defo won't help you right now!)

NUIG 720 random selection, UCC 725, Vet 560 random selection. Mark my words I have seen the Irish Times sheet with my very own eyes. All points for all courses have gone way up. It's pretty shocking.

If that's the case, I'm going to have a heart attack.... Im on 720. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

NUIG 720 random selection, UCC 725, Vet 560 random selection. Mark my words I have seen the Irish Times sheet with my very own eyes. All points for all courses have gone way up. It's pretty shocking.

****! Dentistry?

• Advertisement

CouldBe wrote: »
    If that's the case, I'm going to have a heart attack.... Im on 720. :(

Ah you got Galway probably, I'm on 717 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Should get ved med then... so, by this, I need 13 points from the access programme for nuig and so on. Surely I should...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 hjones

points for ucd this year are 725

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sar1486

i'm on 734...would be devastated if i get bad news!!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

Ah you got Galway probably, I'm on 717 :(

Hey zam,have you any idea how dentistry is in ucc and trinity??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

Zenith23 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but frankly I find that to be a load of BS. There's no way CAO would leak any of that info, and if they did then the 'reliable source' you're talking about would be in a heap of trouble.

My guesses are
    TCD - 725-735
    UCD - 720-725
    RCSI - 717-720
    UCC - 717-720
    NUIG - 714-717

Actually, they ran a rehearsal of the cao last Thursday so a lot of people working in third level education have known the provisional first round points since then. And The Irish Times will have the full list in tomorrow's paper so a lot of journalists know already also. Zam is spot on with her info

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ClaireXx

zam did you by any chance see the points for radiography???

ye i already saw the points from the irish times... they're definitely right

• Advertisement

Trinity, 731.
    UCD, 725.
    RCSI, 723.

is there random selection with UCD do you know?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement