Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything HPAT and medicine for 2010 (R1 points post #1247)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Allego

What points are you on couldbe? Are you in the 719 club too? Gosh I'm very nervous now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 CouldBe

Im on 720. I missed out by random selection :( Yeah this wait is horrible isnt it? I dont know how to waste time til next Thursday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

Allego wrote: »
    What points are you on couldbe? Are you in the 719 club too? Gosh I'm very nervous now....

Hey Allego. Pretty bad position we're in here at 719. I'm guessing that if not in round 2 then in subsequent rounds the points will go to 719 RS or even 718 RS. Let's just stay positive until then.

Got offered Law in TCD and I accepted it. So I'm gonna try and think about Law from now until I'm sure there's no chance on medicine, or of course if I get into medicine. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bagel2010

hi does anyone know what the highest combined points achieved for medicine were this year

Zenith23 wrote: »
    Hey Allego. Pretty bad position we're in here at 719. I'm guessing that if not in round 2 then in subsequent rounds the points will go to 719 RS or even 718 RS. Let's just stay positive until then.

Got offered Law in TCD and I accepted it. So I'm gonna try and think about Law from now until I'm sure there's no chance on medicine, or of course if I get into medicine. :P

Congrats! I'm still waiting it out... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

weea.c13 wrote: »
    have indo supplement on points open in front of me now
    trinity last year was 729 and dropped to 723 in second round
    Cork last year was 715 and didnt go down second round
    UCD was720 and dropped to 719
    Galway was 713 and dropped to 712
    RCSI was 715 and didnt drop
    so chances are it wil drop at least one point but defo look into recheckin papers an stuff ul be surprised where u could get 5 points out of which would equate to 1 point if ur already over 550 jus wha u need.....i know someone who managed it dat way last year

Just to clarify a point here. I'm pretty sure that 723 was the final points for TCD after 3 or 4 rounds of offers, and that it wasn't that low on the second round.

Ask bythewoods, as she got offered TCD on the third round on ~724, I believe :)

Time has lost meaning and is now stopped for me...anyone else feeling the same? lol

Time has lost meaning and is now stopped for me...anyone else feeling the same? lol

*Raises hand*

I'd just like to say that if anyone out there who got a place in medicine is UNSURE about it and/or feeling that they MIGHT defer it, please do so. There's nothing more I want to do in my life, I realised this after accepting my second choice. I'm on 719 and so close. If you're 50/50 I urge you to use my sentiments as a means of pushing you to defer especially if your doing it for trivial reasons such as salary. To clarify, if you really want to do say.. Science or English but are just sticking with medicine for the sake of prestige, please defer.
    Believe me, it'd probably be the most selfless thing you'll ever do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

This is a slight tangent, but I'm curious. Medicine and law are such completely different careers that I'm wondering how your next choice after medicine could have been law. Is it really a toss-up in your mind between these two completely different future lives, or was there some other reason why you didn't include other routes into the medical field as your further choices?

This is a slight tangent, but I'm curious. Medicine and law are such completely different careers that I'm wondering how your next choice after medicine could have been law. Is it really a toss-up in your mind between these two completely different future lives, or was there some other reason why you didn't include other routes into the medical field as your further choices?

Well, most courses relating to medicine either don't interest me or lead absolutely nowhere. I've always been told I'd make a good lawyer and I personally regard ethics and justice very highly.
    Also, law is somewhat similar to medicine. It's competitive, rewarding, you have to give up a lot of your social life, the hours are tough, you work with people.

So, all things considered, I think law was my best second choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I kinda couldn't understand that as well as you need such dedication and commitment to get through medicine that you'd think its what someone really really wants to do and would do anything to get it.

I would also disagree with medicine and law being similiar. You might need similiar intelligence and possibly qualities, but just because 2 careers are competitive and rewarding with long hours, this has no relevance really! Theres a big difference in how you lead your life, the people you interact with and the opportunities given to you. But each to their own! I just know I wouldn't have been able to take something second to what I wanted to do.

I kinda couldn't understand that as well as you need such dedication and commitment to get through medicine that you'd think its what someone really really wants to do and would do anything to get it.

I would also disagree with medicine and law being similiar. You might need similiar intelligence and possibly qualities, but just because 2 careers are competitive and rewarding with long hours, this has no relevance really! Theres a big difference in how you lead your life, the people you interact with and the opportunities given to you. But each to their own! I just know I wouldn't have been able to take something second to what I wanted to do.

Point taken. But who says I'm not going to repeat the HPAT next year while doing law? In terms of subject matter, no, law and medicine aren't very alike. I want to be an important member of society and law fulfills that criteria to at last some extent. Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally happy with law, but at least if I don't get medicine I'll have something challenging to do in the meantime.

Point taken. But who says I'm not going to repeat the HPAT next year while doing law? In terms of subject matter, no, law and medicine aren't very alike. I want to be an important member of society and law fulfills that criteria to at last some extent. Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally happy with law, but at least if I don't get medicine I'll have something challenging to do in the meantime.

I wasn't trying to snap at you :) At least you have some interest in both but you seemed to have really really wanted to do med and have done anything to get it. I've seen some strange cases with 1 of each high point/high powered course on the CAO, like pick'n'mix with seemingly no preference at all except for something that will pay well :rolleyes: Which isn't you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sony6

It is not easy when you are so close I can imagine it is frustrating. Try to calm a little in the sense that you accept whatever the outcome. Sometimes we have to do that and nowhere more than medicine. Life is given and taken by something greater than us and we can do our best but it may not be enough. O know that from personal experience. There are somethings no one can control/ Just say to yourself I do not have control over this right now but I will accept gracefully whatever the outcome and I will embrace law this year if I have to and I will try again next year. I have realised when we experience inner peace of mind, life has a strange way of giving us what we want. I am not saying accept fate just let yourself experience this in a way that allows you to be happy. Law might be a detour for you, maybe it will be a background that benefit your medical career, it might take you in an oppposite direction, but who knows. This is your experience now, it is not the way you wish so try to see how you can work with it to make it part of your life in a very special way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 smallholl

bagel2010 wrote: »
    hi does anyone know what the highest combined points achieved for medicine were this year

I got 773. Hoping for a scholarship!!

smallholl wrote: »

Well done! No doubt really that you will :P

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭WhosUpDocs

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Just to clarify a point here. I'm pretty sure that 723 was the final points for TCD after 3 or 4 rounds of offers, and that it wasn't that low on the second round.

Pretty sure it dropped from 729 to 728 in second round then to 726 in third and then down to 723.
    Hope this helps someone! Be happy with what you have and be prepared to move if you really want to! Good Luck.
    :)

Hey, tomorrow's round 2! Does anyone know what time the offers come out at? Is it at 00:00 or 06:00?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

06:00 according to the cao website

Good luck later on tonight/this morning all of ye! Hope the second round is kind to ye :)

• Advertisement

hey guys, not looking for any sympathy or anything, just posting this for information for others, no offer for me on 719 anywhere. Pretty disappointed to say the least. Just curious how others may have done on 719 if anyone got a place or if random selection might have been applied for 719 for some colleges. thanks.:(

hey guys, not looking for any sympathy or anything, just posting this for information for others, no offer for me on 719 anywhere. Pretty disappointed to say the least. Just curious how others may have done on 719 if anyone got a place or if random selection might have been applied for 719 for some colleges. thanks.:(

In the same boat, my man...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 blogger 3000

smallholl wrote: »

schols go on LC points only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Hookie

Round 2:
    UCD 725*
    NUIG 720*
    RCSI 721

UCC and trinity had no round 2 offers.. It's looking pretty different to last year with only one college dropping.

It's looking very different indeed! At this rate I'll be suprised if there is even a round 3. Well I can take away that I was very unlucky with 719 and the many others on 719 too, guess we wait until next year and hope for a better hpat result because I can't do any better than maximum in LC...

1 point away, very frustrating albeit I know everyone on 720 may not actually receive an offer but at least have a chance.

Not a happy bunny at all! Oh well, you win some and lose some!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Hookie

Sorry allego that really sucks to get a max LC and miss out by only one point on the hpat. The only thing is that with rcsi dropping to 721 you can hope a good few will take that over Galway and free up some places. So don't give up just yet :)

What date's round 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 samehere

It's looking very different indeed! At this rate I'll be suprised if there is even a round 3. Well I can take away that I was very unlucky with 719 and the many others on 719 too, guess we wait until next year and hope for a better hpat result because I can't do any better than maximum in LC...

1 point away, very frustrating albeit I know everyone on 720 may not actually receive an offer but at least have a chance.

Not a happy bunny at all! Oh well, you win some and lose some!
    awwwwww u can do dentistry then ...........dentist also look like docs and moneywise they are better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

schols go on LC points only

no they don't! in ucc they offer scholarships for the highest hpat and lc combination so chance are 773 will get a scholarship:) that's a nice 2 grand to start college with:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 smallholl

i like pie wrote: »
    no they don't! in ucc they offer scholarships for the highest hpat and lc combination so chance are 773 will get a scholarship:) that's a nice 2 grand to start college with:)

yes and im going to ucc!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement