Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything HPAT and medicine for 2010 (R1 points post #1247)

1414243444547»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

jumpguy wrote: »
    Quick question lads, someone I know is interested in med, but she has no LC sciences. Can she do med in NUIG with premed?
    I'm 99% sure you need a C3 (honour) in at least one science subject.

Quick google search:

Minimum Entry Requirements - Medicine (6 year)

Minimum Grade HC3 in two subjects and passes in four other subjects at H or O level in the Leaving Certificate including: Irish, English, another language, Mathematics, a laboratory science subject i.e. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Physics with Chemistry (joint) or Agricultural Science and any other subject recognised for entry purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Shít, thanks. :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67960864#post67960864

the new thread for next year is on this link :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Zenith23 wrote: »
    I don't follow.. *confused*

Does anyone know what the official round three points were for all the colleges?

Oh, and to QueensOfLeon I have Physics and Biology but I think my lack of Chemistry will put me behind. If NUIG offer me the first med can I request it to be changed to pre-med?

The letter will say something like "You can choose to do the 5 year or 6 year programme, please send us confirmation of which course you want to do" :)

Did you go to orientation today? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

The letter will say something like "You can choose to do the 5 year or 6 year programme, please send us confirmation of which course you want to do" :)

Did you go to orientation today? :)

I couldn't, actually, because I'm technically not a student as NUIG require 24 hours to acknowledge an acceptance. I feel like it may have been important though :P

• Advertisement

I couldn't, actually, because I'm technically not a student as NUIG require 24 hours to acknowledge an acceptance. I feel like it may have been important though :P

Ha, thought I may have been your mentor :P Theres a pretty good chance some boardsie was in my group!

Ha, thought I may have been your mentor :P Theres a pretty good chance some boardsie was in my group!

Oh, haha.. What exactly is your position in NUIG, may I ask :)

Oh, and can I ask if anyone here finds that accepting the 5 year program with virtually no Chemistry knowledge would be a bad idea? Because I'm pretty uncertain.

Thanks!

Oh, haha.. What exactly is your position in NUIG, may I ask :)

Oh, and can I ask if anyone here finds that accepting the 5 year program with virtually no Chemistry knowledge would be a bad idea? Because I'm pretty uncertain.

Thanks!

A first med, having just done premed :)

Dooo premed, epic fun :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Zenith, mentor in this case is the name the college gives to those students who help out with orientation for the incoming first years, give tours, etc., etc.

A first med, having just done premed :)

Dooo premed, epic fun :D

Good to know! :D But do you think it's necessary for me?

And how many people were in pre-med last year? :)

• Advertisement

There were 60 :) And sorry, didn't see that you'd highlighted mentor up there, its just anyone from the years above you who shows ya around on the first day and stuff like that.

If anyone here's looking for a roomie in Galway, PM me :)

If anyone here's looking for a roomie in Galway, PM me :)
    Check the NUIG and student accommodation forums aswel. I'll have a look at the notices up in the college tomorrow if you want, some people advertise on the noticeboard and I'm gunna be there anyway :)

Check the NUIG and student accommodation forums aswel. I'll have a look at the notices up in the college tomorrow if you want, some people advertise on the noticeboard and I'm gunna be there anyway :)

Wow, you'd do that? Thanks, that's very thoughtful of you! :)

Wow, you'd do that? Thanks, that's very thoughtful of you! :)
    I know what its like to be panicked last minute about accommodation :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 emlrog

Is anyone else going into first year med in rcsi?
    I can't seem to find anyone anywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 samehere

oh so you are alone in first year med rcsi..........congrats as you are the only one to get through their tough standard of admissions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 samehere

few days ago i read a post from someone who got 95 percentile in hpat and giving away some tips to get good score in hpat ........................anyone know about that post ............link please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 eamon29o'c

emlrog wrote: »
    Is anyone else going into first year med in rcsi?
    I can't seem to find anyone anywhere!

Hey Emlrog,
    I'm in the same boat as you!! I'm going into the five year med in Rcsi too! :)
    But your right, no one on facebook or anything seems to be going!!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MissBrightside

I'm going into 1st year med RCSI too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

Sounds like its just the three of ye lads... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭louloubella

What is a 'pass' in the HPAT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 kevin4212

What is a 'pass' in the HPAT?

if by that you mean the lowest score that can possibly get you into Medicine anywhere with 6 A1s in the Leaving it's in and around 160-165 depending on the year. If you get 550 you'll need 170-175ish. If you get 220 in the HPAT (which I don't think anyone has yet) you can get into Trinity on about 515 CAO points

hiya.
    im actually going for O.T in Ulster. I have no idea what would pass me or fail me, sorry for the ambigious question!

and I am a mature student so its not exactly going on Leaving Cert results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 kevin4212

hiya.
    im actually going for O.T in Ulster. I have no idea what would pass me or fail me, sorry for the ambigious question!

oh right. The HPAT doesn't apply in that case. It's only for CAO applicants to Medicine in Trinity, UCD, UCC, RCSI and NUI Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 arham khan

lizt wrote: »
    Hey guys, just wanted to say prep courses are a complete waste of time and money. ACER have even admitted there's nothing you can learn from it and the medical times had a front page article supporting this statement a few weeks ago. All they do with you is time management - and you can figure that out from the info online anyway. I've done a HPAT (a slightly different one for entry into SLT up north) and I know from personal experience there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING you can learn for it. All you can do is be familiar with the layout of the paper and keep track of your timing.

Hope this helps!!

Hello my fellow medaholics i'm repeating the leaving cert this year because my dreams were crushed by the increasingly annoying hpat. Anybody who needs extra help should look into getting the med entry hpat course. There's are a lot of practice material on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I think it's time for this thread to wave farewell.

There's a new thread for this year's docabees to obsess about the HPAT and all things medical ... :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement