Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything HPAT and medicine for 2010 (R1 points post #1247)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

Yay! Got UCC!:D I still have to travel one and a half hours to get there, but still, closest thing to home...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 boom777

I got Trinity. Would have preferred UCD Blackrock but ah well! My test centre is number 26.... anyone know how many people are in each? or how many test centres there are?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

Xtina!! wrote: »
    Yay! Got UCC!:D I still have to travel one and a half hours to get there, but still, closest thing to home...

Ill be in ucc too.I dont think neptun is a test centre this year is it?
    Everyone in my class who applied for med this year has their test centre in ucc,but my mate said that last year it wz all neptune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

briankirby wrote: »
    Ill be in ucc too.I dont think neptun is a test centre this year is it?
    Everyone in my class who applied for med this year has their test centre in ucc,but my mate said that last year it wz all neptune

I sat it last year and I was also in Neptune Stadium. Like you I thought neptune stadium was the only place in cork, but I was speaking to a girl recently and she said she sat the it last year in UCC. So their must have been more than one test centre in Cork last year. Not sure about this year though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Freakin4Leavin

UCD Belfield :D only 5 minutes away=very handy!
    Are many people doing mocks the week of the hpat?
    i finished mine on thursday luckily!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cweeva

gggalway, NUIG, happy out.
    finished mine friday as well, dedicating the next two weeks to hpat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Finished my mocks too :D. Anybody know if I'm allowed to bring and use my digital watch (with stopwatch function) for the HPAT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭marzh007

what number are we supposed to put on the admission ticket?

^ I would guess the passpot/driver's lic. number, whatever you're brining with you on the day.

Well I'm gonna totally fail the HPAT. Did no preparation for it and only did the sample today. (got 140/300 <__<).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 boom777

H2student wrote: »
    Anybody know if I'm allowed to bring and use my digital watch (with stopwatch function) for the HPAT?

yes Im pretty sure you are as i remember someone complaining about all the beeping from them last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭shamoono

Anybody know how many test centres in O'reilly Hall? in UCD? I hope there is more than one exam room when I sat the exam last year I was stuck in TCD and everyone was crammed in one hall. Constant beeping of watches and annoying seats.

Hope they are better organised this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

shamoono wrote: »
    Anybody know how many test centres in O'reilly Hall? in UCD? I hope there is more than one exam room when I sat the exam last year I was stuck in TCD and everyone was crammed in one hall. Constant beeping of watches and annoying seats.

Hope they are better organised this year.

Just the one in o'reilly hall itself, but UCD itself has about 3 or 4 spread out over the campus. I was in O'reilly Hall last year and there was about 300 or so people in it. It was fairly spread out on the sides, though you dont get a lot of room to scoot your chair back. Wasnt too bad there.

This time last year we were all finished with it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Well I'm gonna totally fail the HPAT. Did no preparation for it and only did the sample today. (got 140/300 <__<).

Drop that mentality. Preparation is bull, or possibly marginally helpful. Sample test scores do not reflect actual HPAT scores. Think positive!

Thanks man, that's what my family keeps telling me but hearing about all the "preparation" people do is stressful when you did nothing. I'm just gonna go relax... play poker until I go on tilt might help :D.

Dubs wrote: »
    Just the one in o'reilly hall itself, but UCD itself has about 3 or 4 spread out over the campus. I was in O'reilly Hall last year and there was about 300 or so people in it. It was fairly spread out on the sides, though you dont get a lot of room to scoot your chair back. Wasnt too bad there.

This time last year we were all finished with it :p

Lol Tell me about it. :D
    I'm guessing your sitting it again?

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Drop that mentality. Preparation is bull, or possibly marginally helpful. Sample test scores do not reflect actual HPAT scores. Think positive!

Yup it's not really true. During a preperation at **** the Dr who was the lecturer said he was talking with the creator of the HPAT exam. He asked him "why are you telling students that they can't prepare for this exam?" He replied "Because it will just make our jobs harder."
    Could be probably just to get more money but they guy is a doctor and has 2-3 children who all got perfect UMAT scores. Didn't seem like a person who would lie.

Apart from that being positive substantial increases your score.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

Yup it's not really true. During a preperation at **** the Dr who was the lecturer said he was talking with the creator of the HPAT exam. He asked him "why are you telling students that they can't prepare for this exam?" He replied "Because it will just make our jobs harder."
    Could be probably just to get more money but they guy is a doctor and has 2-3 children who all got perfect UMAT scores. Didn't seem like a person who would lie.

How do you know he was being truthful?

HQvhs wrote: »
    How do you know he was being truthful?

He had some statistical evidence from people who sat UMAT test before. I think it was that. Other than that we learnt some really cool secrets of the psychometric testing on section 2( I would tell you, but I really don't want other people to do better, I think you know why). And that section 1 and section 3 are things you have gain skills for by simply learning to thinking faster and reading faster etc.

I think how worthwhile they are is exaggerated and a lot of it is about confidence, but in reference to couses particularly ones where u get access to practice papers, i dont think the benefits can be disregarded.
    While im not doing a course i do have practice papers, because I want to be fully aware of what im facing, and im not sure if one practice paper is enough for me since im not great at sections 1 and 3!
    Apparently section 3 is the easiest to improve, then section 1 and then section 2 is the hardest because it is a matter of the abiliy to interpret the emotions which is difficult to acquire.
    I can only imagine the amount of really brainy and naturally mathematically-thinking people taking the test while i frantically try to work out the answers, so i decided to get some practice in to have any chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Thanks man, that's what my family keeps telling me but hearing about all the "preparation" people do is stressful when you did nothing. I'm just gonna go relax... play poker until I go on tilt might help :D.
    The HPAT is kinda designed to be unpreparable really. All preparation does is at most, probably gives people abit of confidence. So relax, if you can give yourself confidence you'll save alot of money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

jumpguy wrote: »
    The HPAT is kinda designed to be unpreparable really. All preparation does is at most, probably gives people abit of confidence. So relax, if you can give yourself confidence you'll save alot of money!

Jees guys,havent we discussed hpat prep enough already:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Does the practise HPAT booklet change every year? I'm in 5th year now and will be doing the HPAT next year P.G., so would there be a different practise booklet out then?

Thanks!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

Does the practise HPAT booklet change every year? I'm in 5th year now and will be doing the HPAT next year P.G., so would there be a different practise booklet out then?

Thanks!:)

Same book the last two years! its the same one your career guidance teacher will have a copy of! the first page is about legumes or something i think!!

yep legumes, just did it yesterday :P.

Whoa ur preparing in 5th year! Now thats organisation!
    Im only starting now two weeks before the real thing and a lot of people are in the same boat, if even doing any preparation ha

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

My friend did that course and said it wz useless.How do you know that guy wz telling the truth?Conmen are generally good bull****ting ,you know.
    However,it will be intersting to see how people who repaet the hpat this yr(with prep) get on and if their scores improve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

Alot of the guys that set up and run the courses are business people out to make money. you cant deny that. they'll tell you everything you want to hear!!

and it will be interesting to see how repeats get on, specially when ACER keep saying that you cant improve too much so theres no point in repeating!!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

Lol Tell me about it. :D
    I'm guessing your sitting it again?

Ye, might as well try and improve as much as possible, could make all the difference. I wouldnt mind it if it wasnt so bloody early on a Saturday! :D

It will indeed be interesting to see if repeats do better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Is there any chance that a new HPAT practise booklet will be brought out next year? I'd like to do the practise one now, but would like a different one to do next year!

• Advertisement

Mayoegian wrote: »
    Is there any chance that a new HPAT practise booklet will be brought out next year? I'd like to do the practise one now, but would like a different one to do next year!
    You could get some of the UMAT ones, they're the same as the HPAT except used in Australia.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement