Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

jenson or Rubinho to win the drivers title?

• 13-09-2009 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

forgive me if this thread already exists.
    with four races left and fourteen points between jenson and rubens.it looks like a two horse race for the championship between the brawn drivers.
    firstly i'd like to congradulate brawn on a magnificent one, two. as we well know at the start of the season nobody knew if brawn or the two drivers would be competeing in the 2009 calender.
    but back to the title.
    i seriously and really hope Rubinho wins the drivers title. for many years i have long been a fan of schey but when rubins was racing with him in ferarri i always felt he (Rubinho)got a raw deal. also he's a great ambassador for the sport.

who do you wan to win the drivers title and why? 21 votes

Jenson Button
    0% 0 votes
    Rubens "Rubinho" Barrichello
    100% 21 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I don't really care who wins Whoever dose they deserve it.
    I voted Button just because of Barrichello rant on the team a while ago.

At Ferrari he knew what he was getting in to, no sympathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

Jenson

Still 14 points ahead and I cant see Rubens beating him every race until the end of the season. Crashes and mechanical failures could change things tho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Button for me, I think he deserves it based on his form at the start of the year. Both drivers have the same argument of being journeymen drivers who couldn't show what they could do because of circumstances, but let's face it, Barrichello chose to go to Ferrari and stayed there. Jenson made a mess of trying to dodge in and out of teams and then plumped for working with Villneuve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I'd like jenson to win i guess, i think he has the edge over rubins. Rubins seems to be driving pretty well the last few races so i think its still pretty open

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭rua1972

I choose Button, i've always liked him as a driver. But if Barrichello wins it he deserves it. He tried long enough, that's a reason on it's own. It's 50/50 but a bit more 50 for Button.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 roadwars

My vote goes to Rubens, seems like a gent and I personally think Buttons a bottler and doesn't deserve it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

After today,Rubinho all the way,cracking race,balls to the wall all the way and he is so comfortable with the car now,anything can happen though but i still want him to get it.

C'MON MY SON!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Big fan of Rubinho. But I was realy turned off by his rant earlier this year

So I voted Button.
    Met him (well shook hands and wished him luck) at Spa 2001.
    Seemed a nice fella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I have voted for Rubens. I think he'll fight hard for the last few races, afterall it is Jenson's to loose and I think he'll fluff a couple of the remaining races! On the other side too...this might be Ruben's last chance to become a world champion...Jenson has a few more years in him, but with a team mate with a little bit more desire, I reckon Jensen might make the odd mistake.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

unless jensen royally fecks up i cant see anyone other than him winning it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

i d like to see rubens win it but i cant see it happening, but you never know, look at 2nd last race , jenson crashed out, one more of them and we see rubens can win races, were will kimi end up next year?he s an ex world champ ,and probably not welcome at ferrari next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I reckon that Rubinho will score more points but that (incidents aside) Button will have just enough in the bag to secure the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Rubens hopefully. Just comes across as the good guy. Think of all the bull we will be spared if an english guy doesnt win it.
    I dont blame rubens for the outbursts earlier this year. Some pretty crap stuff was going on whether by coincidence or team orders. At least now he will get a fair crack at it and will retire happy knowing that he got his chance even if he doesnt will it. It must be pretty hard to retire thinking that you were good enough but were never allowed to go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

rubens, just because i prefer him doe button should win not even he can throw this one away. Doe stranger things can happen i never ever thought either of them would challenge for a title not alone win one. But who ever does win fair play to them. May the best man win looking foward to the rest of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I voted for RB. I think JB will sh1t the course - just 4 races laft and RB just has to stay in front of his teamate. OK a tall order but if he applies enough pressure JB will make mistakes.....
    Now that I have said that, he probally won't put a tyre wrong for the next 4 races....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

rua1972 wrote: »
    I choose Button, i've always liked him as a driver. But if Barrichello wins it he deserves it. He tried long enough, that's a reason on it's own. It's 50/50 but a bit more 50 for Button.
    Would that not be 51/49 in Button's favour then? ;)

roadwars wrote: »
    My vote goes to Rubens, seems like a gent and I personally think Buttons a bottler and doesn't deserve it
    If he wins it at the end of the season of course he deserves it.

Personally I think it's Button's to lose and it has been for a very long time. Although, he's been lucky with Red Bull not seeming to want to catch him.

I'd love to see Rubens take it, but failing a total capitulation from Button I just can't see him doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm voting for Jenson, but to be honest, both drivers deserve it. Brawn deserve the constructors championship as well as they developed a great car, although the Red Bull car is pretty good too although they seem to have gone off the boil.

I think long term Jenson is a better bet than Rubens and although Jensen has had a slump lately (which seems to have ended), I think he's more dependable and consistent than Rubens and less fluctuating in his performances.

Having said that, Rubens has done well and seems like a really nice guy and if he winds up with more points than Button then you can't say he doesn't deserve it either. I'm glad they are being allowed to race equally though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I think it's fair to say that at the start of the year Rubens was flustered and losing it, while Button was masterful. In the middle part, the Home GP effect got to Button and he was flustered, while Rubens was strong. Going in the last part of the season, both of them look good. Should be a good finish, although I think Button deserves at least one more win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I want Rubinho to win :D

Former Jordan driver and all round nice guy. I don't hold the outburst against him TBH. Was shocked at the time but he knows Brawn well enough to know if something was up or not.

I think he'll win but I won't be upset if Button wins. Didn't like him when he first entered F1 but he seems to have matured a lot in his time in the wilderness should we say :D

He is a nice guy and not too cocky and certainly has what it takes to win a championship I think. Wouldn't be upset if he hung in there but Rubinho's recent form makes me think he deserves it just a little bit more. That and he is showing a huge longing for the championship win where as Button is coming across as not really caring although I think its probably trying to play down expectation on himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

thebman wrote: »
    I want Rubinho to win :D

Former Jordan driver and all round nice guy. I don't hold the outburst against him TBH. Was shocked at the time but he knows Brawn well enough to know if something was up or not.

I think he'll win but I won't be upset if Button wins. Didn't like him when he first entered F1 but he seems to have matured a lot in his time in the wilderness should we say :D

He is a nice guy and not too cocky and certainly has what it takes to win a championship I think. Wouldn't be upset if he hung in there but Rubinho's recent form makes me think he deserves it just a little bit more. That and he is showing a huge longing for the championship win where as Button is coming across as not really caring although I think its probably trying to play down expectation on himself.

Interesting I would've said the opposite.

Love both of them and would be happy to see either win but Jenson just always seemed to have more of a hunger about him....its very clear to me JB always wanted to be a top driver and really show what he could do/compete for a world championship.

Rubens seemed content to sit behind schumi for too long for me...I think he wasted the best years of his career at Ferrari. Still an absolute gent of course but I think JB deserves it more...plus when the Brawns were on earlier in the season he drove flawlessly...he had the sparkle of a world champ that I dont think we have seen from Rubens this season (not to say he has'nt had good drives and great results...I just feel their is something lacking).

So Jensen for me, but like I said I dont really mind who wins it out of the two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Interesting I would've said the opposite.

Love both of them and would be happy to see either win but Jenson just always seemed to have more of a hunger about him....its very clear to me JB always wanted to be a top driver and really show what he could do/compete for a world championship.

Rubens seemed content to sit behind schumi for too long for me...I think he wasted the best years of his career at Ferrari. Still an absolute gent of course but I think JB deserves it more...plus when the Brawns were on earlier in the season he drove flawlessly...he had the sparkle of a world champ that I dont think we have seen from Rubens this season (not to say he has'nt had good drives and great results...I just feel their is something lacking).

So Jensen for me, but like I said I dont really mind who wins it out of the two.

Well Ferrari were way ahead for some of those years he was there. I think it was a case of second in Ferrari or 3rd or 4th in another team.

I'd say thats the way he saw it anyway. Better to be the number 2 in the best car than the number 1 in the second best car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

Rubens all the way, Button then can do it next year then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Fabio wrote: »
    Rubens all the way, Button then can do it next year then.
    Nah, he'll have to get past Alonso in a Ferrari next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

I want Rubens to win but think Jensen will.

I think that Rubens is a better driver, i.e he can handle a car that isnt perfect better than Button. Button, like Trulli to a lesser extend can really shine why the car is perfect for him. Overall, I would regard Rubens as a better driver. Compare their results as teammates together. Very close, but the theme is that Jensen falls away in a car that he doesnt like. He doesnt seem to be able to adapt

Advertisement