Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strenght of wireless signal

Options
  • 13-09-2009 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have a wireless modem and live in a residential area of houses. Ive set the signal strength to minimum and i can still get a decent signal in my house. But how far does the signal go for? 100-200 feet? is there a way to find out how far the signal can be reached?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have a wireless modem and live in a residential area of houses. Ive set the signal strength to minimum and i can still get a decent signal in my house. But how far does the signal go for? 100-200 feet? is there a way to find out how far the signal can be reached?

usually the modems ending in g will only stay within the walls of the house. i live in a 3 storey and can't get a decent signal at the top of the house. the n modems are much stronger though and can send a signal across roads. if you have an eircom modem, change the password. they're easy to break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

usually the modems ending in g will only stay within the walls of the house. i live in a 3 storey and can't get a decent signal at the top of the house. the n modems are much stronger though and can send a signal across roads. if you have an eircom modem, change the password. they're easy to break.

Im using a zyxel g type modem-it says on the website that it has a 200 metre range in ideal conditions-whatever that means. That said ive set the signal broadcast to minimum strength, am not sure what distance it covers though. I live in a terraced house mind you-so id say that a lot of my neighbors can get the signal- good things im using WPA2 PSK with AES :pac:

By the way can wireless modems/routers give you cancer-something i heard about-but is it true?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

noooooooo... given the amount of regulation we're getting from the eu, i doubt we'd be allowed to use wifi if it was carcinogenic. i did read about some guy that was allergic to wifi a few weeks ago, and he has to live in remote scotland to get away from it all.
    there's always a tree hugger or 2 out there that'll start stories like that, although it's not been around long enough to do decent research anyway.
    just stick to the 5-a-day and you'll do your best!!

So having wireless on all the time wont give you cancer? still im kinda worried though..i read somewhere its like having a microwave bask radiation all over your house :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Nothing to worry about, my area is flooded in wireless networks, there is 13 in range of my laptop right now not including my own. It's just radio waves at a different frequency.

Think about it, there are radio FM, mobile mid band wireless, mobile phone mast waves blasting away everywhere every day of the week. Nothing you can do about it and nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement

Nothing to worry about, my area is flooded in wireless networks, there is 13 in range of my laptop right now not including my own. It's just radio waves at a different frequency.

Think about it, there are radio FM, mobile mid band wireless, mobile phone mast waves blasting away everywhere every day of the week. Nothing you can do about it and nothing to worry about.

Come to think of it dont all modern appliances give out some form of radiation or another-mobile phones, tv, even a laptop with a wired internet connection?

Advertisement