Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lots of views, but not so many posts....

Options
  • 13-09-2009 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

...do some stammerers on this forum have a "writer's block" as well as difficulty speaking??? :D
    S-s-s-stammering fingers!!! :D
    Anybody have any suggestions to help these non-posting viewers of the forum to be able to type freely???
    I'm mad this weather!!!:P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 neutra

yes, try to finish your sentences half-way through ~ it is a cheap trick but it just m

:pac:my-words-yeah!more-words-for-me:cool:

i love pacman, i forgot what a funny game it is: i do the sentence-eating cos i really like it and i know it can't be as cool as i think but anyway! just a "PS" cos i didn't finish the

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Paul4As wrote: »
    ...do some stammerers on this forum have a "writer's block" as well as difficulty speaking??? :D
    S-s-s-stammering fingers!!! :D
    Anybody have any suggestions to help these non-posting viewers of the forum to be able to type freely???
    I'm mad this weather!!!:P

Having recovered from a not-so-bad speech impediment years ago I would like to say Paul that your jokes aren't funny, esp. re. 'stammering fingers'. And before you say 'oh have a sense of humour about it' it's not about that- it's just plain insensitive and rude.A lot of people who come on here could well be suffering a huge huge amount and I know because I've been there. When you're 16 for example and dealing with all the pressures of growing up, stammering is the last thing you want in your life, and it's something that you don't want to discuss with anyone- be it online, with family, even. It is hardship and drives people to depression, low confidence, etc. etc. From your post I'd have to ask do you, or did you, ever suffer from this? I doubt it from your 'stammering fingers' joke. Can't believe I'm seeing that here of all places.

This is my first time even coming near this forum in a while and I wouldn't expect people to respond to your post.

Think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

Pog...a lot of the posts on here are a bit on the "not so happy" side...people having the odd hurdle with their stammer...sometimes people may even complain about the forum being a bit depressing!!! I'm trying to inject a bit of humour out of the fact that not many people reply to posts yet loadsa people view them!!!
    I'm a firm believer that if you don't see the funny side to stammering from time to time then it can really eat you up!!! You have to see the funny side to any limitations you have with your life...whether it to be with stammering or that you are useless at football!!!
    I would never reply to a post from someone who was needing help with a joke or humour!!! But I do feel I am entitled to start a humourous stammering thread!!! There are even stammering comedians these days like Jaik Campbell!!!
    I have had a stammer all my life...had my highs and lows like anybody (stammerer or non-stammerer)...for you to come on to this forum and question the fact that I may never had any issues with my speech because I crack a joke about something which I didn't ask for (a stammer) but I have learnt to live with and am comfortable with now...that is being rude and insensitive!!!
    Go bring the mood down on another thread please!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

You're right Paul..sorry! I did over-react- ahhhh. I guess I took it up negatively as I am not on this forum ever- (and I'm not one of the viewers who don't reply/write!!).

Okay so will you accept my apology for the outburst :)

Anyway I still think we need a campaign similar to the one that they had about mental health a while back... more awareness. Ya know this kinda thing is very detrimental to mental health and can ruin your life if you don't have the coping skills built up ya know? Like people generally get their coping skills when they get older, so it's hard on people when they're in secondary school- and in primary school. Would you believe I had a teacher pick on me over it in primary school? And I was only 11-12 years old.

I appreciate that you and others are working on the ground- but I think we need a nationwide appeal and asap. I can see why people wouldn't be downhearted here at times, but if only they knew, you can be cured!

My fingers definitely haven't been stammering these last few days!!!...been posting like crazy!!!
    BUT...I can see a huge block coming after I post this!!! :D
    Giving the stammering forum a well deserved break from my thoughts for a good while!!!...BUT I will be back in a few weeks time...time enough to allow all you other readers, but non-posters to populate all the stammering threads!!!
    See you all hopefully in Dublin next month!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 stutelle

Paul, i hope you are going somewhere nice while you are resting your stammering fingers:)
    I agree, humour is very useful in de sensitising.
    the funniest joke I heard about stammering was when a guy said that a person who stammers shouldn't let their stammer hold them back but there are still some things a stammerer shouldn't do and one of them is play snap for money:D

it took a couple a couple of minutes for it to sink in but then I lauged for an hour afterwards

see you at awareness day

Stutelle...didn't go anywhere...besides off for a relaxing hand massage to ease up the tension!!! :p
    I wonder is it the same people repeatedly viewing the threads in here that is causing the counters to go up...or do we have a multitude of stammerers who just like to browse???
    Come on stammering folk...let's get this forum rocking so that even non-stammerers wanna come in here for a bit of craic!!!:D

It's great to see so many people viewing the threads about the Stammering Awareness Day!!!
    They may not be posting replies, but at least they are AWARE that it is happening in just over a week!!! :D
    Maybe readers, by not posting replies, are saving their energy to make the trip to the Wynns Hotel to have a bit of craic with their fellow stammerers!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I think a lot of people like to browse the different threads. Up to recently the forum has been relatively quite, normally around awareness day its gets busy. I'm going to see if this forum can get a mention somewhere in the awareness day. It's important that it's advertised at events like this.

Stephen...I am privileged to be one of these 10 short speakers at the Awareness Day!!! ;) You will be privileged also having to listen to me!!! :D
    I will be plugging my self-help group and my Patmar reunion....which are both advertised on this forum!!! I will 100% plug this forum as well!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Paul4As wrote: »
    Stephen...I am privileged to be one of these 10 short speakers at the Awareness Day!!! ;) You will be privileged also having to listen to me!!! :D
    I will be plugging my self-help group and my Patmar reunion....which are both advertised on this forum!!! I will 100% plug this forum as well!!! :)

Excellent stuff Paul, although I'll try stay awake! :D I would like sometime to visit Belfast and your selfhelp group. I've always wanted to visit Belfast, perhaps in the new year I'll go up.

Advertisement