Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb or Imagine?

• 13-09-2009 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

I've decided to leave Eircom because they are now censoring the internet. My question is who do go with? Digiweb or Imagine or maybe vodafone.? Any suggestions. I don't care about cost but, I do care about reliability because I do a lot of gaming.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭dunworth1

can you get upc in your area

if you can go with them

I'm with Irish Broadband (Imagine) and have been for about three years now.

I'm not the most technically minded person in the world, and I only play GTA IV online once in a blue moon, but I love Imagine. They never seem to let me down. The longest my internet has ever been down with them is about 4 or 5 hours, and that only seems to happen about once a year. I don't know if location affects it or not, but I will say my hats off to them.

Plus, over the last few months I've been downloading a lot of stuff and they never mention it to me. Plus they don't seem to be blocking/censoring any sites.

I've heard some terrible things about their customer service, but in my own experience, I've never had a problem with them, and they were always willing to spend ages on the phone going through any little problem I had without any issue at all.

I think they're great. But as I say, some people have mentioned how terrible they are, so I can only speak from my own personal experience, and I've never had a different ISP so I can't really compare them to anyone else. Consistent service in my opinion.

Best of luck with whoever you try out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

dunworth1 wrote: »
    can you get upc in your area

if you can go with them
    No, I'm in the country unfortunately. DSL and wireless are my only options.

No, I'm in the country unfortunately. DSL and wireless are my only options.

is it breeze you were looking at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I am with Digiweb and have been for over 4 years. No complaints about them or their customer service. The only thing is that they do tend to enforce limits quite strictly, if that's a concern, and you can find your BB crawling once you go over it.

• Advertisement

dunworth1 wrote: »
    is it breeze you were looking at

No, I,ve herd Breeze is not good for gaming. It would be Imagine's DSL i'd be going for.

is_that_so wrote: »
    I am with Digiweb and have been for over 4 years. No complaints about them or their customer service. The only thing is that they do tend to enforce limits quite strictly, if a concern, and you can find your BB crawling once you go over it.
    Thanks is _that _so, This is exactly the info I was looking for. Going over the limit would be a concern. Does anyone know if Imagine are strict with their download limits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Imagine are very strict with their download limits, as are Digiweb.

jor el wrote: »
    Imagine are very strict with their download limits, as are Digiweb.
    What about Perlico?

What about Perlico?

strict aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

No, I,ve herd Breeze is not good for gaming. It would be Imagine's DSL i'd be going for.

I disagree.
    Breeze is great for gaming, its the Ripwave I'd be worried about.
    I'm pretty sure there are no download limits on Breeze either, so thats a good choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

BT were very lenient. Still are. Like their billing department's incompetence, they don't have any automated system in place to enforce their caps. It's all manually done. I got caught going twice over mine in 2008, they disabled my login. When I rang them up, they just told me to be more careful, and re-instated the login there and then. I can't speak for Vodafone, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I've got Digiweb DSL, service is fine and reliable, but as is_that_so said, they are very strict on the up/down cap. It's automated so as soon as the meter registers that you've gone over the 30 day rolling allowance, you're cut down to awful speeds. Digiweb might not be the cheapest DSL provider but I'm very glad I don't have to deal with BT's billing department ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

I had Imagine for 3 years with no problems and fairly good customer service. I changed to Vodafone cause it's cheaper (as Im a Vodafone Mobile customer). Now that BT and Vodafone have officially merged that's another option marked off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I was with Digiweb, but now need to reconsider, as they have turned off the mobile service in my area, and I don't want to be paying landline rental for something I would not use :rolleyes:.

I had no problems with them at all, and would have been happy to continue with them, as suited my needs perfectly. I have asked that they contact me if a wireless option in my area does become available, but for some reason, I doubt it very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Went over the download limit once with Digiweb, and even though my stats say 'unrestricted,' my broadband months later is still crippled. Beware.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Had Digiweb long time before with unlimited download (corporate 4MB package for over 100 a month) and from one month to another with out warning or contact they switched me over to another package (they stopped selling the package I was on a few months before) with download limit. When I contacted them about this I was fobbed of with a "take it or leave us" attitude.

There where also some issues with their set up of payments but that was a split issue with my old ISP still charging me (BT, surprise surprise!)
    and me thinking it was Digiweb (they where suppose to set it up with a discount at the start) so I can't blame them for it but having to fork over 700 EUR on the spot was not exactly fun.

As noted the download limit is enforced directly and it is counting both your up and download for it. If you go over on 30 day rolling you get reduced to dial up speed which has issues downloading a moderate newspaper webpage with pictures.

Having said that excluding the above I never had any major technical problems and their tech support was always good as was their customer support (excluding the incident outlined above).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Went over the download limit once with Digiweb, and even though my stats say 'unrestricted,' my broadband months later is still crippled. Beware.

Have you contacted support?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Silver Bullet

Imagine are complete and utter dirt. Super slow and are a complete and utter ripoff merchants. Service is crap. Group of useless tossers who are a bunch of wannabee's. Won't listen to a word you have to say. I switched over to vodafone no prob's to report yet! We'll see...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Digiweb Cap:
    Your traffic needs to drop below 80% to un-throttle if you went above 20%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Finmix

Absolutely terrible service from Vodafone, If you look on the Vodafone forum boards, you will see that loads of people are having problems, mainly the issue is dropping connections, which I never had with the previous provider, eircom. I have been on to support a dozen times because of my connection dropping and tried everything under the sun at my end to try and resolve but nothing made any difference. Leaving as soon as my contract is up. Keep well away from Vodafone is my advice :mad:

Advertisement