Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another Vista problem - no response at Desktop

• 13-09-2009 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have a Fujitsu Siemens laptop with Intel Centrino & 2GB RAM running Vista Business Edition. Since Friday, when I turn on the laptop, it boots to the desktop but nothing I click on will respond, however the mouse does still move. Does not respond from KB input either.

I can boot into safe mode with networking no problem. I've taken the following steps to troubleshoot -

Uninstalled last Windows update (03/09/09)
    Stopped all services - no fix
    Stopped everthing in Startup - no fix
    Tried Last Known Good Configuration - no fix

I'm at a dead end other that using the Repair System option at bootup from F8 list or reinstalling Vista altogether. I'm seriously considering wiping it and installing Unix. Any ideas? Thanks.

K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Get autoruns from the microsoft website and disable everything that's not needed from safe mode. See if you can knock out whatever is hanging the system. Also i'd look in the system logs to see if you can find any clues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

If its an issue with explorer(Which I doubt) then the repair feature on your windows disc will fix it. But it wont do any harm to run the repair wizard anyway, it might be able to fix what the problem is and its not like it'll format your drive or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Sherifu wrote: »
    Get autoruns from the microsoft website and disable everything that's not needed from safe mode. See if you can knock out whatever is hanging the system. Also i'd look in the system logs to see if you can find any clues.

Hi Sherifu. What's autoruns? Never heard of it before. Just to clarify, the machine isn't 'hanging' in that the mouse is still active. Problem is anything I click on does not respond. Thanks for the advice.

K

kkelly77 wrote: »
    Hi Sherifu. What's autoruns? Never heard of it before. Just to clarify, the machine isn't 'hanging' in that the mouse is still active. Problem is anything I click on does not respond. Thanks for the advice.

K
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

It's here. It can be used to disable startup programs and services.

Sherifu wrote: »
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

It's here. It can be used to disable startup programs and services.

Cheers! I'll give it a try. I assume it can be run in safe mode as I won't be able to start it in normal Windows for obvious reasons :)

• Advertisement

kkelly77 wrote: »
    Cheers! I'll give it a try. I assume it can be run in safe mode as I won't be able to start it in normal Windows for obvious reasons :)
    Yes it can.

Had to reinstall :mad: :mad: :mad:

:(

Advertisement