Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bike Scheme

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 wackerooooohh

Fair point about me posting abuse, but i was just so annoyed about the negative attitude that always seems to run through these threads, so much cynicism and dying to be able to say i told u so. if you say we should throw a bike in a river enough times, somebody will throw a bike in a river. fair enough, some might do it anyway but surely they are in a minority and cant be let ruin things for the rest of us. this scheme is worth supporting, at a time when everything else is being taken away here is something we are being given, and most people in this thread just want to talk about why it has to fail, rather than why it could succeed. i was wrong to shout abuse, but i am sick and tired of begrudgery, maybe i am just tired after having a blast on the bikes today, up the dubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Fair point about me posting abuse, but i was just so annoyed about the negative attitude that always seems to run through these threads, so much cynicism and dying to be able to say i told u so. if you say we should throw a bike in a river enough times, somebody will throw a bike in a river. fair enough, some might do it anyway but surely they are in a minority and cant be let ruin things for the rest of us. this scheme is worth supporting, at a time when everything else is being taken away here is something we are being given, and most people in this thread just want to talk about why it has to fail, rather than why it could succeed. i was wrong to shout abuse, but i am sick and tired of begrudgery, maybe i am just tired after having a blast on the bikes today, up the dubs.

What are the bikes like? fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Fair play to you Wacker.
    The people who always complain about things are usually the last to actually make things happen for the greater good of everybody.
    I'm sure there will be "those" of lesser intelligence who will want to ruin this bike scheme and it's up to others to make sure they don't succeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 preamp

Hmm, I see, so the moral of this story is, everybody on one of these bikes, wearing a tracksuit is a scumbag?

Seriously mate get real.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sparks wrote: »
    (BTW, 70 billboards for 450 bikes is twice what Paris 'paid' at 1628 billboards for 20,600 bikes).

Plus JC Decaux were supposed to take down billboards.
    Despite repeatedly asking those who should know, no-one can tell me what sites they have taken down billboards from.

No matter how successful these bikes are and I think they are a great idea, they will never be worth the price the city paid for them.

JC Decaux pwned us badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I disagree with you (Sundew) ...... and wacker.

I have had experience with some of the "scum" in this city and they (if they feel like it) ...will no doubt destroy/damage the bikes that they cannot take.....its unlikely that they will be caught and/or prosecuted with any real result.

Yes I have lost faith in the judicial system in this country - I regularly see generations of families go through the courts system.

As for the bikes themselves ... I think its a good idea - if it can be run without bike being damaged/stolen/destroyed by the plague of society....unfotunately I dont hold out much hope for it in this city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 DocDaneka

What scares me is that I know at least 2 people out there are down 150 euro each tonight. Hopefully they have gone to the Gardai and reported their bikes stolen ( the culprits are still probably trying to do wheelies around heuston station). But this still means they have to get their money back from Dublin County Council. Having dealt with them in the past in matters of refunds, I know this will be next to impossible.I love the bike scheme and I think it would be fantastic if it works. I just cant see how it will given the population of Dublin's inner city. I live there and I know all too well the fates of hapless bikes locked up around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I was out taking a stroll tonight and there's 2 groups of teenagers drinking down lanes where I live. There's a couple of these rentabikes down the road. I'd be surprised if they hadn't messed around with them by the end of the night.

The novelty factor will wear off though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Yeah I tried out the scheme today. Seems great.

I was coming home from soccer practice and wearing my tracksuit so I thought, "Hey, why not give it a go and get a bit more exercise?". Took one out for a spin and had a great time, although I did get odd looks from a few people for some reason.

They were shooting daggers in my direction as if I'd robbed the bike or something. Odd, considering I probably make twice the salary they do. But there you go, Dublin is full of oddballs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Yeah I tried out the scheme today. Seems great.

I was coming home from soccer practice and wearing my tracksuit so I thought, "Hey, why not give it a go and get a bit more exercise?". Took one out for a spin and had a great time, although I did get odd looks from a few people for some reason.

They were shooting daggers in my direction as if I'd robbed the bike or something. Odd, considering I probably make twice the salary they do. But there you go, Dublin is full of oddballs.
    Don't be paranoid, of course people are going to look. I was looking at people cycling them today too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

General Warning.

Stop with the tit-for-tat abusiveness please.

Des

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm locking this thread.

Its packed full of personal abuse and just pure BS.

OP, if you want to discuss this again might I advise you to choose a better and more appropriate thread title.

Locked.

*** Des got there before me. Thanks D. ***

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I asked for this thread to be reopened. The Dublin Bike Scheme is one of the most successful on the continent. Great article in the Sunday Tribune yesterday about it's success, lack of theft and vandalism.

So, all these predictions were wrong. Just shows you how little people know about the city.
    Jim wrote: »
    This is an obvious outcome of the scheme tbh. Things like this can work in other countries, but not here it seems without peope nicking anything that isn't nailed down and setting fire to the rest.
    It was a stupid idea in the first place. It's essentially a lawless country. The bikes will be battered to shite and thrown in a river before anyone genuinely interested in the scheme gets to use them.
    It's a scheme that is apparently not suited to Dublin.
    However, we Irish, sorry, we Dubliners aren't the most civic-minded of folk and I can see the whole thing ending up in the Liffey...literally.
    Nolanger wrote: »
    The most idiotic idea because Dublin is not a flat city. Every street is a hill and someone will get a heart attack cycling around.
    mikemac wrote: »
    Can the bikes swim?
    As they'll be at the bottom of the canal before the week is over
    danjo-xx wrote: »
    They won't last pissin time, believe me:(
    PCPhoto wrote: »
    I have had experience with some of the "scum" in this city and they (if they feel like it) ...will no doubt destroy/damage the bikes that they cannot take.....its unlikely that they will be caught and/or prosecuted with any real result.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You went to the trouble of having a dead thread re-opened just so you could have a sneer at the posters who were wrong? Bravo you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

lightening wrote: »
    So, all these predictions were wrong. Just shows you how little people know about the city.
    Ok, I'll eat my words, even though it's early days.

They're fishing at least two of these bikes a day from the Seine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Nolanger wrote: »
    The most idiotic idea because Dublin is not a flat city. Every street is a hill and someone will get a heart attack cycling around.
    the scheme is really only available between the canals, so no big hills to worry about. I think it's a great service. Seems to be going well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm locking this thread because it's full of crap.

Here is another Dublin Bike thread, with no baggage associated.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055703392

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement