Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do wireless modems cause cancer?

Options
  • 13-09-2009 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just started to use wireless a few days ago-does using wireless give you cancer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

No i'm pretty sure thats a load of bull.

However if you feel unsafe, wrap your modem in tinfoil to put you at ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Everything gives You cancer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

karlog wrote: »

Wrapping the modem in tinfoil made of metal will block the wireless signal wont it? why is that? how will this protect me from radiation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

I thought you had to wear a tin foil helmet on your head? So I've been doing it wrong :o

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Wrapping the modem in tinfoil made of metal will block the wireless signal wont it? why is that? how will this protect me from radiation?

Your right. In that case buy one of these suits:

akvarexcover2.jpg

• Advertisement

ttm wrote: »
    I thought you had to wear a tin foil helmet on your head? So I've been doing it wrong :o

Ok but no but really i read in my modem manual that metal will actually obstruct the signal- is that why some people put tinfoil over the transmitter? does it work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭quiche

+1 Interweb

Ok but no but really i read in my modem manual that metal will actually obstruct the signal- is that why some people put tinfoil over the transmitter? does it work?

No offense, not sure if you are genuine or not, i'll assume you are genuine - otherwise i've been sucked in big time.

Yes some people do modify their router in order to BOOST the signal (see pringles wireless antenna).

If you wrap your router in tinfoil, whilst the tinfoil is on you will have a very expensive paper weight. If you have already done this, take the tinfoil off and all will be fine.

The wireless router will not give you cancer. To be on the safe side, do not strap it to your body or near any genitalia.

Wireless modems dont cause cancer by the way. The energy emissions are much lower than a mobile phone or a TV. So no need to worry about it.

Wireless modems dont cause cancer by the way. The energy emissions are much lower than a mobile phone or a TV. So no need to worry about it.

I dont suppose someone can provide hard evidence to back up this point?

• Advertisement

I have yet to grow a 4th arm.

ok ok enough with all the sarcasm people :D

Theres no hard evidence to suggest they cause cancer either.

Edit: and if you do think WiFi causes cancer then you may as well throw your mobile phone away while your at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

They say everything causes cancer.:D I'd go wild and use wireless, theres a such thing as over analysing. Everyones in area with wifi each day,bloody death threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

There's no escaping it. We are all going to die of cancer anyways some day so just enjoy your life while you can.

Webmonkey wrote: »
    There's no escaping it. We are all going to die of cancer anyways some day so just enjoy your life while you can.

By this you mean that aging is essentially the effect of oxygen on human tissue yes?

Sarcasm

Ok look aging in humans is the end effect of free radicals(cancer cells) which themselves are induced by oxidation ( the adding of oxygen). Full blown cancer is a extreme example of this. Does this make sense?

Calm down :eek: - I meant what I said was sarcasm since everything we do today causes cancer

And here i thought boards was a serious place to be. I guess not :pac:

• Advertisement

And here i thought boards was a serious place to be. I guess not :pac:

It is until you present an obvious open target ;)

But back to the original question.... there has been loads of research into mobile phones and mobile phone masts as possible causes of cancer afaik there has been no proved link and the radiation from a WiFi router is a lot less QED ?

QED??

QED??

QED

Get serious :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Trust me, I work for a Wireless ISP, I handle wifi and wimax equipment much more powerful than a household wifi router all day, every day. There is absolutely no danger, no side effects, no cancer.

Next thing You'll say light causes cancer, we're all doomed

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Trust me, I work for a Wireless ISP, I handle wifi and wimax equipment much more powerful than a household wifi router all day, every day. There is absolutely no danger, no side effects, no cancer.

We've had truth, we've had jokes, we've had sarcasum did I just spot some irony? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

PogMoThoin wrote: »

I'll just put in my $0.02 for ultraviolet (is it A or B ?) and skin melanomas ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

wireless-devices.png

Advertisement