Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Meteorological Society Photo Competition

• 13-09-2009 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

The Irish Meteorological Society are running a Photo Competition!

The photo can be of any Irish location but must have a seasonal or weather theme.
    Enter by submitting a photo on our website http://www.irishmetsociety.org

Closing date for receipt of photos is 30th November 2009.

Prizes:
    First Prize €150
    Second Prize €75
    Third Prize €50

Some rules:
    The competition is open to all but only one entry per person is permitted.
    Only colour photographs are accepted and there must not be people in the picture.
    The Irish Meteorological Society will nominate a panel of judges and their decision is final.
    The winners will be announced at our December public lecture & contacted thereafter.

Please note that photographs submitted as entries may be selected to feature on our website and related links

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Ah a nice cheap way of getting some free full res publication photos..

Edit:Other than the three you pay for

After reading what the OP's response to this was,I think it's a good competition and if I find an image I will enter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Why so jaded Ricky? A photo is worth what someone determines it to be worth. And the pros who have the amazing shots probably won't enter the comp on these terms. Amateurs can decide whether they want to enter for fun or not, maybe they'll get a prize, maybe the site will use their photo sometime in the future but what of it? And looking at the rules they seem really, really loose. Unlike what the pro harvesters do (worldwide license, in perpetuity, royalty free, exclusive etc.) they didn't even mention royalty free - entrants may be able to ask for royalties if their images ever do get used...

So why not take it at face value as a photo comp that some society is running to promote itself (and in all likelihood to get some nice amateur images out of)?

Unless you're accusing the people of deliberately misleading entrants as to the terms of the competition - and frankly the terms are so short that there's not enough there to mislead anyone ;)

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Why so jaded Ricky? A photo is worth what someone determines it to be worth. And the pros who have the amazing shots probably won't enter the comp on these terms. Amateurs can decide whether they want to enter for fun or not, maybe they'll get a prize, maybe the site will use their photo sometime in the future but what of it? And looking at the rules they seem really, really loose. Unlike what the pro harvesters do (worldwide license, in perpetuity, royalty free, exclusive etc.) they didn't even mention royalty free - entrants may be able to ask for royalties if their images ever do get used...

So why not take it at face value as a photo comp that some society is running to promote itself (and in all likelihood to get some nice amateur images out of)?

Unless you're accusing the people of deliberately misleading entrants as to the terms of the competition - and frankly the terms are so short that there's not enough there to mislead anyone ;)

It just seems alot more competition these days are just companies looking for pictures,And instead of using stock photos,Have a quick look on youtube they decided to get the money,Which would buy them a few images off a stock site,Price dependant!And get possibly 1000's of pics from it,Costing them much less than they should have to pay.

Don't get me wrong,It's a nice oppurtunity for an amateur to enter,But what happened to the day when the competition was just a competition and not a cheap way of getting free photos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Ricky91t wrote: »
    It just seems alot more competition these days are just companies looking for pictures,And instead of using stock photos,Have a quick look on youtube they decided to get the money,Which would buy them a few images off a stock site,Price dependant!And get possibly 1000's of pics from it,Costing them much less than they should have to pay.

Don't get me wrong,It's a nice oppurtunity for an amateur to enter,But what happened to the day when the competition was just a competition and not a cheap way of getting free photos?

maybe some people would be happy with that???

most people would get a warm fuzzy feeling from seeing their shot in a publication wheather they got paid for it or not.......

I'm going to enter. I've a shot i've being saving for a competition like this :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭IrishMetSoc

If you enter and would rather that your photograph does not appear on our website or newsletter, that's fine too.

• Advertisement

IrishMetSoc - a nicer term you could have put into the rules would be something along the lines of:

"All copyright is retained by the entrant. IrishMetSoc may contact entrants if we wish to utilise images entered into this competition for display on our website or newletter. Participation is voluntary for all entrants."

That would smooth over any ruffled feathers (and would certainly get you more high quality pictures from photographers who are concerned about their copyright licensing).

;) Of course, I'm not a contract drafter and I can't advise you of how legal this provision would be - but as people say, the law is full of common sense (usually!)

Otherwise you can put an "opt-out" box at the entry form to help facilitate distinguishing between people who want to put their photos up for display and those who do not.

Thank you for informing us of your competition. I may enter one too ;)

Apologies for the double post - IrishMetSoc - I went on to your address to upload my photo and was wondering how do we indicate to you whether we'd rather the non-winning photos not be utilised by the society?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

It's not like they are some corporate profit hungry company, so giving them a free photo aint so bad.

Thirdfox, we will make this adjustment. But of course we would like to show the winning photos so it will only be non-winning photos that this will apply to.

Of course - that would only be natural. Thanks for being so open and understanding about this.

It's the mega-corporations like Nat. Geographic, Sony, BMW etc that really try to screw over photographers.

• Advertisement

If you enter and would rather that your photograph does not appear on our website or newsletter, that's fine too.

Apologies for spoiling the thread,And thanks for your reply.

I have edited my post original post to say all is ok with this competition.

I don't want people to be getting the wrong impression from my post!

Thanks for this. We have up-dated our website..

Reminder:

The Irish Met Society Photo Competition is still running. Closing date November 30th 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

are swans allowed?

Yes

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I tried sending one through earlier but your site seemed to collapse.

What was the size of the file?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

It's a 7.62mb jpeg - do you really need them that big? I have smaller ones.

The upper limit is 8M so that should have been fine. Don't know what happened.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are swans allowed?
    no, just photographs. i don't think a swan would fit on an email.

• Advertisement
Advertisement