Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remember he is only a dog !!!

Options
  • 13-09-2009 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

How dare anyone use that phrase and belittle the love that i feel for this blessing who i think of as my child (if that offends anyone -tough)My own brother told me that today when he saw me crying because my little man is sick.
    My little yorkie is 16 and he had me up all last night ,he couldn't settle down to sleep and was very uncomfortable all night , his little stomach was making some awful sounds.Then at 7am he vomited what looked like phlegm with blood in it and then a loose bowel movement that was also bloody.Of course i couldnt ring anyone at that hour so i cleaned him up and brought him back to bed with me.
    All was ok again until 1 o clock and the same happened again...i hate to say it but i lost it ..i started crying uncontrollably and im here still crying,the vet says to fast him today and to bring him out in the morning .
    Nothing has happened since Lunchtime-but im terrified about whats going on with his insides,he does not appear to be in pain.

Is he giving me today to say goodbye? How do you cope with the loss of a pet? i have to say im terrified of losing my most special gift , he is my sunshine.
    If anyone says to me "ah he is only a dog " when i dont turn in for work tomorrow just God help em..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

baii wrote: »
    =Then at 7am......Of course i couldnt ring anyone at that hour =

There are vets on call at 7am you know. Who do you think farmers use? You can get a vet 24 hours a day.....but it'll cost obviously
    So there is someone to call if you feel it's needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I HATE it when people say that. They've obviously never had their own pet. Ever. You need to have your own pet to understand, but don't belittle us for feeling this way! Millions upon millions upon millions of us (I'd say a majority of the population) would get upset if our pet died, it's not like we're freaks for it.

Insensitive asshats.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I appreciated the film 'Marley and Me' a great deal because it showed a family and their love for their pet and didn't belittle that love in any way. I remember Jennifer Aniston's character reminiscing about when the couple were trying to start a family that she didn't realise at the time their family already HAD started because they already had their beloved dog.
    I don't understand anyone saying 'it's only a dog.' (If you think it don't SAY it for God's sake!) Would a person raised in an orphanage say to someone who had lost their mother, sure it's only a parent?! People who say such things are very insensitive and you should feel sorry for them because they'll never know the joy having a pet can bring.

Baii, let us know how your little dog gets on, my fingers are crossed for good news. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

baii wrote: »
    How dare anyone use that phrase and belittle the love that i feel for this blessing who i think of as my child (if that offends anyone -tough)My own brother told me that today when he saw me crying because my little man is sick.
    My little yorkie is 16 and he had me up all last night ,he couldn't settle down to sleep and was very uncomfortable all night , his little stomach was making some awful sounds.Then at 7am he vomited what looked like phlegm with blood in it and then a loose bowel movement that was also bloody.Of course i couldnt ring anyone at that hour so i cleaned him up and brought him back to bed with me.
    All was ok again until 1 o clock and the same happened again...i hate to say it but i lost it ..i started crying uncontrollably and im here still crying,the vet says to fast him today and to bring him out in the morning .
    Nothing has happened since Lunchtime-but im terrified about whats going on with his insides,he does not appear to be in pain.

I hope your little fella is ok :( I fcuking hate when people say that too. I have 3 cats one of whom is 15 and is my baby too. I'm dreading the day when she dies seriously I will need some sort of counselling:( When people say smart things like that to me I usually say something like well she's better company than you:p I always say you can tell a lot by how people treat animals. People who don't like them are generally not worth the time of day....ok rant over:mad:

I really do hope your little pooch will be ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

sorry to hear your wee yorkie is ill.
    Its not only a dog. Its YOUR dog and your dog and his manners and health are a reflection of the time and commitment that you put into them. It would be nice if others could remember that.
    Hopefully its something that can be sorted. Given his seniority you have obviously looked after him very well .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

I hope he will be ok. I know what its like to lose a pet. I would be crying uncontroably too. Best of luck with him tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭littlelady

I hate when people say that, they just dont understand.
    I hope your little pooch is ok x

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

It's important to get him to a vet and hopefully its nothing serious.

I think most people here know how you feel.

Please let us know how you get on....

I always think of animals as little angels given to us to bring us joy and happiness;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Fingers crossed your little dog will be ok. And don't worry when people say "he's only a dog" - they're the unlucky ones who have never loved and been loved by a pet

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Firstly i hope your little man is better.
    Only a dog ?only a dog gives unconditional love,
    only a dog is always there for me
    only a dog will laugh and cry with me
    only a dog will protect me and alert me to danger
    only a dog will lay down his life for love of me
    only a dog ?
    The more i see of people the more i love my dogs/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Sorry to hear your dog is ill. I cried when my mum's 1st yorkie died and she only had him a few months. He was an old dog we took in when his owner died.

In terms of his stomach noises, I'm surprised you haven't had this before. In my experience yorkies seem to a bit prone to this. My mums dog is unwell from time to time. He seems to get little stomach cramps, and he will get sick sometimes too. Sometimes it can be from over eating, so we really watch what he eats, and how many treats he is allowed etc.

Like your vet said, fast him for a day, and then we were advised to ease him back in with some cottage cheese and rice. Then add a little chicken on the next meal.

Hope he gets better soon. 16 is a good age though, so enjoy him as much as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

To be fair OP 16 years is a long time. You would have kids just abour reared by that time.

I would be devestated when my pet's time comes. He is like family to me. Ye he is just a dog but h has given me so much comfort over the years. My best buddy licking the tear off my face anytime I would cry.

You have to have and love your pet to understand what i't's like and I fully understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Snabe

i'm so sorry to hear about your doggy.
    i get the same reaction when i talk about my dog. but they are just fantastic animals and the loyalty,affection and companionship is second to none. i totally understand how you feel and i would be the exact same. the thought of losing my dog, who is only 2, makes me cry so i can only imagine what you are going through right now.

my thoughts are with you and let us know what happens...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I hope your dog gets sorted asap! I understand what you mean.

Friends of mine thing i am a bit OTT in my treatment of dogs. Some tell me I treat dogs like children in terms of how I talk about them and affection. A dog is an excellent companion, loyal and very loving. You only have to experience a dog pining for its owners to witness their emotional attachment to their owners.

Coming home from work last week, i was driving into my estate when I saw one of the neighbour's kids screaming crying chasing after her puppy. She must have lost grip on the lead and the dog kept walking. The dog was on the middle of the road and she was on the path screaming at cars to stop. I pulled in and jumped out of the car to try catch the dog. Fortunately another oncoming motorist stopped in the middle of the road and got out too so we caught the dog.

The poor child, tears running down her face. THe mother at this stage ran out and when she saw the dog in the child's hands said "ah ffs, it was only the dog".

I bit my tongue and didnt wait around for a thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

*BIG hugs* Baii I hope your little guy gets better soon!

I cannot understand people who say such horrible things like "its just a dog" how would they feel someone precious to them was really ill? They wouldn't appreciate anyone saying "ah sure its just ....." or whatever! Don't let this get to you Baii, I know how much your doggy means to you as does everyone here so your not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I can see it from both sides. I think it's stupid to view a pet as your child, from the people I know who do this it can cause bad behaviour when it comes to other people and can be bad when other people actual children are involved (doesn't happen to all dogs). I prefer to think more along the lines that I'm the alpha dog and any other person is higher than the dog (and I do try to make sure the dog knows that)

The other side of it is I adore animals, I recently got a cat I loved her before I could even bring her home (one of the longest weeks waiting for the shelter to call, and when they did I went straight over, the woman on the phone was surprised I was coming over that quick). There's also two dogs which I walk and take care of when the owners are away, I call them my dogs, I love them and the real owners tell everyone how much the dogs love me, they hate it when I leave.

Also, any word on how he is?

Advertisement