Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cafe da Fiore aka Homans

Options
  • 13-09-2009 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Is closed down after this weekend.

So sad :( I'll really miss it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Really? How do you know?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NarkyBoots

Staff told me. I hope I didn't misunderstand that today was the last day but they were all upset about it.

well, that's a shame...I can't say I frequented the place though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Where is this??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭hobnob101

I was very upset about the closure. Today was the last day.

We moved into Charlesland before it was open. We had a new baby and had moved from the city center. My wife went into Holles St from our old home and came out to the building site that was Charlesland.

We had not spent a lot of time in the area beforehand and felt very isolated.
    When Cafe da Fiore opened it filled a big hole. All of a sudden there was somewhere you could walk the pram and escape from the four walls of home for a while.... and get a decent coffee!

Cafe da Fiore had become an integral part of our lives. We were daily customers and will sorely miss the staff. More importantly I have no idea where to get a good coffee in the morning (Homans just isn't as good) and Superquinn... well.

I can only presume that the outrageous rents that the developers are charging (based on earlier forum discussions about the pub - or lack thereof) have a large part in this.

For all the new mothers in Charlesland that used Cafe da Fiore as respite from the sudden loss of normal life it will be an awful blow. To have to drive to the nearest coffee shop is real inconvenience.

For those of us that have tasted Keiths scrambled eggs (beyond compare), or reveled in the fact that a full breakfast meant that you would indeed be full (a rarity in my experience prior to Cafe da Fiore), it is a sad day. I will miss the Chicken sandwich, the hot chocolate, the crumble and the BLT.

More than this I will miss the sense of community that existed there and the ever friendly staff.

I am angry. I can only assume that rental greed has been responsible for pulling away an integral part of the heart of the Charlesland community. The cafe was always reasonably busy when I was there.

Charlesland needs a Cafe. There are too many people here not to have one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

that's real shame, have to go poxy insomnia or somewhere now and pay for parking ..grrrrrrr...that place was class, especially on a nice day where you could sit outside ... wonder what will take its place !!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭hobnob101

wonder what will take its place
    Judging from the empty units that are already free (Dry cleaners, Medical Center, offices, Pub) I would think that nothing will take its place.

Rents must be silly money. It seems to be a pattern repeated throughout the country. I saw a piece on some tv program about Letterkenny, where half the main shopping center was empty. The rents were too high but the leases all had clauses in them where rents could only go up, not down.

Celtic tiger greed forced rents up. Then with the onset of the recession rents stayed up while retail profits slumped.

It doesn't make business sense to me (surely some rent coming in is better than no rent at all). It probably comes down to statistics. Commercial letters can say "Rent prices have not been affected by the recession", without explaining that half their properties are empty.

Chartbusters is gone, Greystones Travel is gone, Cottonwood is up for let on daft but still trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ADK

That's a shame. Have to say I only went there occasionally but my mother used to love going there when she was minding my kids as she doesn't drive and would walk them over there for a treat and to get out of the house. She will definitely miss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

hobnob101 wrote: »
    Judging from the empty units that are already free (Dry cleaners, Medical Center, offices, Pub) I would think that nothing will take its place.

Rents must be silly money. It seems to be a pattern repeated throughout the country. I saw a piece on some tv program about Letterkenny, where half the main shopping center was empty. The rents were too high but the leases all had clauses in them where rents could only go up, not down.

Celtic tiger greed forced rents up. Then with the onset of the recession rents stayed up while retail profits slumped.

It doesn't make business sense to me (surely some rent coming in is better than no rent at all). It probably comes down to statistics. Commercial letters can say "Rent prices have not been affected by the recession", without explaining that half their properties are empty.

Chartbusters is gone, Greystones Travel is gone, Cottonwood is up for let on daft but still trading.

yup...some rent is better than none IMO.
    It's just getting worst and worst which is the scary thing !

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Gutted, I will miss my daily Latte and Keith & his staff of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

That totally sucks. Only last week we discovered it, and I was glad that there was going to be a nice cafe to visit in the neighborhood. We're moving to Charlesland soon, and it's unfortunate that it's doubtful that anything will take it's place, seeing as it's such a large space. It was a nice spot. Seeing as Charlesland is quite densely populated, maybe one of the larger chains will move in at some point, like Insomnia, O'Briens or something similar. I don't see that pub taking off at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Hey All,

Am just back from a few weeks away ( and time away from the computer :) )
    I cant belive it !!
    Such a shame, great coffee and a nice place for all around.
    We used to walk down from Eden Gate with the dog, stop for a coffee and head to the beach ... sometimes it was so nice there we didnt mae it to Greystones.
    Terrible state of affairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 JAYG

I thought the place was OK. Had breakfast there every now and again but got bored of the limited menu, which never changed from the day it opened, and it was quite over priced.

I for one have been looking forward to a pub opening in Charlesland for the last 3 - 4 years and think it will do very well, specially now if they do good food (although not if the same chef as Woodlands, which was very nice until a couple of weeks after opening then just went down hill after that). Maybe the cafe da Fiore could re-open from within the pub and sevre the food there. With a bigger better menu of course.

I saw someone in the unit today, perhaps someone looking at opening a new cafe?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

astrofluff wrote: »
    I saw someone in the unit today, perhaps someone looking at opening a new cafe?

Yes, I heard (from the estate agent) it has been leased.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

As had been alluded to in the previous posts, surely there'd be plenty of custom for a café in Charlesland? It'd be great to get some of those units filled- it'd give the estate a focal point.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

ooh I'm not banned anymore!

Yes people in there this afternoon. Great news if it is a cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lakeroad

Homans from the Main Street where supposedly looking at it. Hopefully somebody takes it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I hope its mcdonalds.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

I hope its mcdonalds.

That's just too funny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

That's just too funny!

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

12779862163_cdd988303e_c.jpg
    Cafe Mc Donalds by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Kinikie

I looked at this place towards end of summer last year, they were asking 45k per year in lease terms. Was just too much and couldnt get financials into a place i was comfortable with

Thats alot of coffee and criosants!

Hopefully they have seen sense and dramtically reduced the ask to improve occupancy of the empty units

@pixbyjohn: I thought you didn't do photoshop? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Lol, i think the picture proves he doesn't ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Jimjay wrote: »
    Lol, i think the picture proves he doesn't ;-)

Spot on James

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Serrano13

Heard yesterday that this coffee shop is going to be run by the people who own Homans. Hope they can make a good go of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

He doesnt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

Plastering and painting going on inside caffe di fiore today. Looks like we are going to have a coffee shop again! Woo hoo!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

happyhappy wrote: »
    Plastering and painting going on inside caffe di fiore today. Looks like we are going to have a coffee shop again! Woo hoo!!

Homans owners are opening there

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement