Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cafe da Fiore aka Homans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

Homans owners are opening there

Good to see. Any idea when??

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

happyhappy wrote: »
    Good to see. Any idea when??

No

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bennetts

I spoke to a guy in Homan's on Wednesday and he said they are opening for breakfast and lunch in September and dining and a wine bar sometime after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Looking forward to this. For me, the test will be the quality of brekkie versus price.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bennetts

Agree - I used to like a breakfast at Cafe Da Fiore although I can't remember whether it was good value or not. I'm looking forward to strolling over the road for a glass of wine now and then when the wine bar aspect is open - there isn't one pub or bar in Greystones that I enjoy going to. Perhaps this could be the start of a wave of licensed premises opening to compete with all the coffee houses...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

The BOOM is back!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

astrofluff wrote: »
    Looking forward to this. For me, the test will be the quality of brekkie versus price.

yes me too,love a full Irish,3Q's is nice but a bit steep for some.
    Best I've had in the last while although it's a bit of a drive is the restaurant up at Djouce Golf club,not cheap btw but defo worth a trip and then up to the woods for a walk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Homan's coffee was never that good though, hope they have better coffee up here than down the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭caji

Any update on an opening date?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

Rumour has it Homan's opening today...some fantastic smells whafting out the door yesterday evening. Could have sworn it was chocolate cake!

• Advertisement

Yep, the chalk board had written 'opening Tuesday'. Will check out pricing for a). an americano, and b). a full Irish breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Was in earlier. Not sure about coffee prices, but €5 for a "Big" sausage roll was a bit steep, particularly when it wasn't particularly big (but it was definitely tasty!).

Breakfast is €12 but according to the menu it's huge. Stumbling point though is €3 for additional sausage, bacon or egg. :eek:

Great selection of pastries and cakes. Wifey had Carrot Cake and loved it. Huge slice served.

Obviously being the first day, there are a few kinks to be ironed out, but I'm delighted for Julie, she's taken a punt on Charlesland and she deserves support for that. If she takes on board feedback on pricing, she will be a big hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

€12 for a fry...?!? Seriously..!

Thanks but no thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

€12 for a fry...?!? Seriously..!

Thanks but no thanks...

Does that include coffee/tea? If so it's ok. If not it's steep no matter how good it is.

If they price it as per Main Street Greystones they're in bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Techy_1

Today myself and my wife had breakfast there and it was amazing the pudding was so soft it fell off the fork, the eggs were organic everything about it was just amazing.

In terms of price the breakfast pictured below was €12 which included tea / coffee.

Will definitely go again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Not bad. Lose the weeds, extra egg for me and some HP sauce. Yum.

Hope it works out for them. Best wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Techy_1 wrote: »
    Today myself and my wife had breakfast there and it was amazing the pudding was so soft it fell off the fork, the eggs were organic everything about it was just amazing.

In terms of price the breakfast pictured below was €12 which included tea / coffee.

Sure sign the recession is fading when they can get away with charging €12 for that. Unless it was for two which would represent good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

Techy_1 wrote: »

Who has €12 to spend on a breakfast? And, not a very big one!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

€12 is a shocking price for a breakfast that size!:eek:

...and did i see someone say €5 for a sausage roll??
    SERIOUSLY?

Delighted to see the Cafe open again, but unfortunately I won't be spending a cent in there if these prices are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Breakfast in the Elephant and Castle in Temple Bar (the tourist centre of a capital city) is around a tenner!

12 euro is nuts but even more so when it is a cafe in a retail unit by a supermarket and housing estate. It's actually embarrassing.

What a disappointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Really hope people give feedback re pricing, and hopefully the owners will take note. Charging €12 for a breakfast is way over the top! Would be a shame to lose them but charging prices like that will surely lose them business...

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

yes me too,love a full Irish,3Q's is nice but a bit steep for some.
    Best I've had in the last while although it's a bit of a drive is the restaurant up at Djouce Golf club,not cheap btw but defo worth a trip and then up to the woods for a walk off.

For €12.05 you can get a Traditional Irish Brekkie in Witherspoons new boozer in Blackrock- with unlimited refills of coffee
    (I'm including the €7.10 return Dart fare in that by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

How much is breakfast in 3Qs (they do a mean breakfast but IIRC its also fairly pricey - although they are a proper restaurant).

or Cafe Delle Stelle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

loyatemu wrote: »
    How much is breakfast in 3Qs (they do a mean breakfast but IIRC its also fairly pricey - although they are a proper restaurant).

or Cafe Delle Stelle?

3 Q's breakfast is 10.95, according to website.
    don't know if tea and toast included.

Breakfast in Martello in Bray is a tenner, includes tea, toast and jam also get TWO eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Thats really disappointing. If thats €12 they've already lost me as a customer.
    Keep the organic egg charge me €4 less.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tennisplayer

Maybe they are trying to up the status and encourage classy customers who have the spondulies to spend regardless of value. Doesn't sound like a place where Charleslanders will want to sit and watch the world go by :D:D:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

ellejay wrote: »
    3 Q's breakfast is 10.95, according to website.
    don't know if tea and toast included.

Breakfast in Martello in Bray is a tenner, includes tea, toast and jam also get TWO eggs.

No coffee or tea. However, it is very tasty and actually looks to be slightly bigger than the Homans brekkie...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

€12 is a shocking price for a breakfast that size!:eek:

...and did i see someone say €5 for a sausage roll??
    SERIOUSLY?

Delighted to see the Cafe open again, but unfortunately I won't be spending a cent in there if these prices are correct.
    Yeah, a fiver for a sausage roll. We did give feedback when paying the bill. Menu said it was a big one, it wasn't.

When you consider Lolly and Cooks in town do a "Savage Roll" which they make themselves for €2.95 and is far nicer.

I had actually gone in with the intention of having a breakfast, but wasn't willing to pay €12, particularly when I don't eat mushrooms or eggs and didn't fancy the negotiation that ensues when you tell them you don't want those items but would prefer an extra sausage. Going by the picture posted up, I won't be bothering with it any time soon. No mention of whether or not toast is included in that price from the post above.

I know I said they deserve custom for taking a punt on Charlesland, but by the same token, they can't take the p1ss either.

People are in business to make a profit, and fair play for them opening up in Charlesland. I still feel that the high rents generally will be to the detriment of the Charlesland Centre and the good establishments trying to make a few bob, creating the odd job. CL One could only last for so long as did Cafe De Fiore (and the infamous Tumbleweed - whatever happened to that place ;)).

Pebbles Cafe over at Blacklion seem to have a healthy stream of visitors but I can't help but feel that because it is beside Lidl and several other facilities including two schools (now three), that's why I reckon it is surviving (their pricing is on the high side where quality wouldn't be alongside). Keener pricing will attract more customers in Homans, so keeping it at saturation point for longer over the day will be their win. Decent quality and a reasonable price point can work well provided the rent is not too onerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭oinkely

At €12 for brekkie I'll stick to my (lidl) branflakes and save the money for a pizza from the pizza truck.

Each to their own!

Advertisement