Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cafe da Fiore aka Homans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

oinkely wrote: »
    At €12 for brekkie I'll stick to my (lidl) branflakes and save the money for a pizza from the pizza truck.

Each to their own!

Hmm, 12 euro pizza truck pizza or brekkie, no contest

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Thread title updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

astrofluff wrote: »
    People are in business to make a profit, and fair play for them opening up in Charlesland. I still feel that the high rents generally will be to the detriment of the Charlesland Centre and the good establishments trying to make a few bob, creating the odd job. CL One could only last for so long as did Cafe De Fiore (and the infamous Tumbleweed - whatever happened to that place ;)).

Pebbles Cafe over at Blacklion seem to have a healthy stream of visitors but I can't help but feel that because it is beside Lidl and several other facilities including two schools (now three), that's why I reckon it is surviving (their pricing is on the high side where quality wouldn't be alongside). Keener pricing will attract more customers in Homans, so keeping it at saturation point for longer over the day will be their win. Decent quality and a reasonable price point can work well provided the rent is not too onerous.

In my opinion pebbles do the best breakfast in greystones. I was looking forward to trying breakfast in the new cafe but the photo posted doesnt look great. (And i really like beans with my breakie ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Jimjay wrote: »
    In my opinion pebbles do the best breakfast in greystones. I was looking forward to trying breakfast in the new cafe but the photo posted doesnt look great. (And i really like beans with my breakie ;-)

How much is Pebbles breakfast? and what do you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

As earlier poster reported wetherspoons breakfast is 4.95, including toast and potato farl. Coffee is 1.50 with unlimited refills. An excellent breakfast composed of quality ingredients with rates in blackrock unlikely to be lower than Charlesland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

damian139 wrote: »
    As earlier poster reported wetherspoons breakfast is 4.95, including toast and potato farl. Coffee is 1.50 with unlimited refills. An excellent breakfast composed of quality ingredients with rates in blackrock unlikely to be lower than Charlesland

So, if I decided to nip out for a quick breakfast some sunny Sunday morning, I wouldn't be bothered driving/darting all the way to Blackrock to avail of a cheaper breakfast. No matter how good the breakfast is in TTT it wouldn't be that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

RosieJoe wrote: »
    So, if I decided to nip out for a quick breakfast some sunny Sunday morning, I wouldn't be bothered driving/darting all the way to Blackrock to avail of a cheaper breakfast. No matter how good the breakfast is in TTT it wouldn't be that great.
    I don't think the point being made that it was worth the journey, just that you could get a return ticket to blackrock and your breakfast there for the same price as breakfast in Homans. Just putting it into perspective. FWIW, while i haven't been into Weatherspoons in Blackrock yet, I have had breakfast in one in England and it was fine, not worth a trek to get it, but definitely value for money.

Update on the sausage rolls - Wifey was there this morning for a coffee with some friends and noticed that the sausage rolls are bigger than the one I was served on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Eponymous wrote: »
    I don't think the point being made that it was worth the journey, just that you could get a return ticket to blackrock and your breakfast there for the same price as breakfast in Homans. Just putting it into perspective. FWIW, while i haven't been into Weatherspoons in Blackrock yet, I have had breakfast in one in England and it was fine, not worth a trek to get it, but definitely value for money.

Update on the sausage rolls - Wifey was there this morning for a coffee with some friends and noticed that the sausage rolls are bigger than the one I was served on Tuesday.

I get that the originally point was to show the price difference between the 2 but to me it is a pointless argument as it doesn't bring into account the hassle of going further for a cheaper meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

Just to clarify folks...
    the reason i posted about the price in Witherspoons initially, was to show what can be purchased for a lot less cash (albeit 45 mins away)

The fact is: €12 for a breakfast (as illustrated previously) is simply disgraceful IMHO....and no argument about quality ingredients costing more is going to swing it for me.
    Quality food can be produced for reasonable prices.

I'd wager that if they dropped the price to under €10 and included toast and decent filter coffee, the place would do a roaring trade.

That's my opinion....for what it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Agreed, there's no way I'm paying 12€ for 2 sausages, 2 rashers an egg and some window dressing. If I was to bring the family we'd be looking at €48, for the same amount of food I could pick up for about a fiver.

Before anyone kicks off about business costs , right to profit etc. Lets just consider that they are going to have to get people in the door, and have repeat business to be able to pay costs and deliver a profit. I'll drop in for a coffee and a scone at some stage just to support them. Disappointing though because I think they've missed the mark. Or maybe I'm getting this wrong and I'm not the target market....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

This is the breakfast in Ocean Bar & Grill on Bray seafront, it comes with a plate of toast, marmalade, jam and butter and a mug of real coffee, all for €7.95. I thought it was superb value and great surroundings. Charging €12 for a breakfast has put me off even crossing the front door of Homans and I live very close by.

I also have eaten in Wetherspoons in the UK and found it poor, the grub on offer in blackrock is perfectly palatable. Plus, it's what, a 20 minute spin? Hardly onerous- plus a feasible family Sunday morning treat, and free refills mean no pressure on diners to make space for the next customers

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

Unlike most people on here I have actually had the breakfast in Homans. It came with home made bread toasted, and good McCabes coffee. The portion was very substantial and I thought it good value for excellent quality. The food was on a par with the much lamented Beech tree although I prefer the coffee in Homans. I will be a regular customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Just to clarify folks...
    the reason i posted about the price in Witherspoons initially, was to show what can be purchased for a lot less cash (albeit 45 mins away)

The fact is: €12 for a breakfast (as illustrated previously) is simply disgraceful IMHO....and no argument about quality ingredients costing more is going to swing it for me.
    Quality food can be produced for reasonable prices.

I'd wager that if they dropped the price to under €10 and included toast and decent filter coffee, the place would do a roaring trade.

That's my opinion....for what it's worth.

Plus a trip out of Greystones as a break from the norm. :)

Just to be fair, it might be worth giving them feedback just to give them a chance? Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

conlof wrote: »
    Unlike most people on here I have actually had the breakfast in Homans. It came with home made bread toasted, and good McCabes coffee. The portion was very substantial and I thought it good value for excellent quality. The food was on a par with the much lamented Beech tree although I prefer the coffee in Homans. I will be a regular customer.

I agree with LEIN re feedback but I won't even go to the place now because it is out of my price range and more importantly it has pissed me off that somewhere would have the cheek to charge these prices. So I can't really give feedback.

Re the quote above I am bewildered how anyone could accept 12 euro for a regular breakfast unless they are in the centre of London etc. My homemade bread costs about 10c a slice and is massive!

I agree with LEIN re feedback but I won't even go to the place now because it is out of my price range and more importantly it has pissed me off that somewhere would have the cheek to charge these prices. So I can't really give feedback.

Re the quote above I am bewildered how anyone could accept 12 euro for a regular breakfast unless they are in the centre of London etc. My homemade bread costs about 10c a slice and is massive!

And the Beech Tree was in a stunning setting. This is the equivalent of a supermarket cafe but looking at cars reversing badly.

I wish any new business well but because of the rather difficult location I imagined a cafe that was community based with with really good value tea, coffee and snacks. A place with a high turnover but feel good vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

They're already disadvantaged in that location. They'll get passing trade from Charlesland but to pull people in from Kilcoole, Delgany and Greystones they need to have a draw.

At that price there's not a chance i'd go out of my way and pass the 3 Q's.

Pebbles do well because of their location and plenty of parking. The food is hit and miss. Following a bad experience I stopped going there for about a year. Tried them again a while ago and was served the worst breakfast ever. It was burned to a crisp and pretty much inedible. I handed most of it back. When asked if anything was wrong I showed them the food and explained that it was burned.

They apologised, blamed a new chef and charged me full whack.

I'll never ever go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Wineman wrote: »
    This is the breakfast in Ocean Bar & Grill on Bray seafront, it comes with a plate of toast, marmalade, jam and butter and a mug of real coffee, all for €7.95. I thought it was superb value and great surroundings. Charging €12 for a breakfast has put me off even crossing the front door of Homans and I live very close by.

That looks yum might have to try it out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Have to say that living in Charlesland I was really looking forward to someone releasing that premises and making a go of a coffee shop. When I heard it was Homans I was delighted as I love the scones w/ cream & jam that they do. But at €12 for a single breakfast I'll never use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

There's been a lot written so far about the 12 euro breakfast but what does everything else cost? How much is a latte or a croissant for example? I haven't been in but would agree if I was looking for breakfast, I would head elsewhere. Perhaps they are not looking to make money on the breakfasts - it would be interesting to see a menu.

• Advertisement

Rasmus wrote: »
    There's been a lot written so far about the 12 euro breakfast but what does everything else cost? How much is a latte or a croissant for example? I haven't been in but would agree if I was looking for breakfast, I would head elsewhere. Perhaps they are not looking to make money on the breakfasts - it would be interesting to see a menu.

I would love a great value scone and cuppa but they have put me off because they are simply ripping people off with that breakfast. I won't support overpriced/greedy establishments.

I was thinking - maybe it was a mistake? It can't be the right price. Has anyone been in since and mentioned the price? They probably don't know we exist!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I would love a great value scone and cuppa but they have put me off because they are simply ripping people off with that breakfast. I won't support overpriced/greedy establishments.

I was thinking - maybe it was a mistake? It can't be the right price. Has anyone been in since and mentioned the price? They probably don't know we exist!

It's probably the right price, their rent must be very high. The space is huge, so the energy costs will be high too. Maybe someone will clarify the price this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Had a beautiful ham sandwich in there today, think it was €7 but was very good.

Btw i saw some people eating the breakfasts and have to say the picture posted here does not do it justice, it looked big and very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Zoe zebra

€4.75 for a homemade scone (with butter, jam and cream) and a tea. I think that's a very reasonable price compared to other coffee shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Beegood

The new Homan's is excellent. Now Charlesland has a fantastic place to eat -- the food is very very good. I had the breakfast and so did my family, we loved it. Then I went back for lunch, sandwiches are huge and portions are BIG. Not sure what some posts are being negative about(some people just have to knock stuff I guess).. because literally everything is good about this new Homan's.. and the breakfast includes tea or coffee so yea, really great. Love it and so does everyone I know who has been. I will certainly 100% support them. And FYI, they asked us both times what they could do to change things or if everything was okay for us so if you have an experience right now as they are opening that's less than you expect, say it to them, I'm sure they'll take it on board... They're in business in Greysrtones a long long time...they're doing something right. Good luck Homan's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

Beegood wrote: »
    not sure what some posts are being negative about(some people just have to knock stuff I guess)..

I don't think people are being deliberately negative, more like they are perplexed that you, sorry, I mean Homans are charging so much for a full irish breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

I think it's a bit unfair to pass judgement if you haven't even set foot in it!!

I went in this morning to check it out and in fairness the big breakfast is huge. Sausages, bacon, pudding, eggs, vine tomatoes, potato cakes, portobello mushrooms, toast, freshly squeezed orange juice AND tea/coffee. There is another smaller breakfast for €6 which I think is very good value.

I agree with one of the previous posts. If you feel the breakfast is too expensive go in and tell them or let them know on Facebook, don't just rant behind your laptop. If it was my new business I'd really appreciate direct feedback, not anonymous posts on boards from people who haven't even been in.

By the way, the coffee is excellent.

The new Homan's is excellent. Now Charlesland has a fantastic place to eat -- the food is very very good. I had the breakfast and so did my family, we loved it. Then I went back for lunch, sandwiches are huge and portions are BIG. Not sure what some posts are being negative about(some people just have to knock stuff I guess).. because literally everything is good about this new Homan's.. and the breakfast includes tea or coffee so yea, really great. Love it and so does everyone I know who has been. I will certainly 100% support them. And FYI, they asked us both times what they could do to change things or if everything was okay for us so if you have an experience right now as they are opening that's less than you expect, say it to them, I'm sure they'll take it on board... They're in business in Greysrtones a long long time...they're doing something right. Good luck Homan's!!
    Are you connected to the venture in any way? Just wondering in light of this lengthy endorsement being your first ever post...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Beegood

My post is positive because I liked the meals I ate there were good, simple.. would you like my resume or any of the other people who liked it? This is precisely why I don't post on any boards (even though I'm a member since 2011).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

My post is positive because I liked the meals I ate there were good, simple.. would you like my resume or any of the other people who liked it? This is precisely why I don't post on any boards (even though I'm a member since 2011).

There is no point in blaming Boards.ie

Your positive review lacks credibility only due to the fact that it is your first ever post!

Advertisement