Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cafe da Fiore aka Homans

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭girl24

I think some people are a bit too focused on a 12 euro breakfast, if it includes fresh OJ and the whole nine yards then maybe it isn't such a rip off, as neets said they also do a 6 euro breakfast. I haven't been in yet but I really like homans in the village and hope they have good value items on their menu, im a stay at home mum and go walking alot with the buggy, would be nice to stop off for a nice cuppa and cake on the way home, there are lots of mums and babies/kids in charlesland so they'd be fools not to cater for this market. I wish them luck and hope they make a success of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Also hope they're successful, however I think e12 is a bit saucy for breakfast.I'm in full time employment in a permanent job. I COULD afford it, but I don't perceive it as reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

girl24 wrote: »
    there are lots of mums and babies/kids in charlesland so they'd be fools not to cater for this market. I wish them luck and hope they make a success of it.
    ....and dads!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

Great to see the positive feedback for Homans. TBH I was pretty depressed about the beech tree closing down. That place served excellent quality food and for what you got was good value. The Homans breakfast is huge. Their commitment to quality will be supported by me. There are many cheaper options on offer in the village. Imo they are inferior.

astrofluff wrote: »
    ....and dads!

Sorry astrofluff, my bad!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Techy_1 wrote: »
    Today myself and my wife had breakfast there and it was amazing the pudding was so soft it fell off the fork, the eggs were organic everything about it was just amazing.

In terms of price the breakfast pictured below was €12 which included tea / coffee.

Will definitely go again :)

Yesterday I decided it was time to give this place a go.
    I ordered a cup of coffee while I checked the menu.

I then choose the famous €12 breakfast:)

This breakfast arrived with a larger coffee (I was told that I could have orange juice instead).
    The breakfast comprised of the following:
    Sausage x 2
    Bacon x 2
    Fried egg x 2
    Black pudding slice x 4
    Roasted tomatoes x 4
    Very large 1/2 slice of toast x 4

This seems to be a larger breakfast than the one described by Techy_1 (the post I quoted above).

The scores on the doors for me:
    Quality/taste: excellent
    Decor: very good
    Service: excellent
    Portion size: large (perhaps too big, I could not finish)
    Value: considering that Charlesland is only a short drive from Greystones (a particularly affluent area), the size of the portion & the quality of the food I feel it was very good.
    Would I go back? Definitely
    Negatives: they changed me for my initial coffee (refill was not free)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

The OH and myself went here on Saturday morning. I thought the coffee was excellent but the service wasn't the best.

We sat on the bench outside. It took about 5 mins for us to even get a menu. We straight away told them that we wanted coffee.

After another 10 mins, we were still waiting. I then asked them to put the coffee in takeaway cups as we had to leave. We eventually got the coffee after a further 5 mins.

So that's a total of 20 mins to wait for 2 takeaway coffees. I will go back again for breakfast but they would need to improve the overall speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I nipped in for a takeaway coffee yesterday. Never again, it tasted awful. I know others have said it's good but No Way. Not for me.

If you like Vino's or Cafe de Stella coffee then you will not like it here.

I'll try the 12 euro breakfast. That sounds good. With tea please.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

2011 wrote: »

This breakfast arrived with a larger coffee (I was told that I could have orange juice instead).
    Sausage x 2
    Bacon x 2
    Fried egg x 2
    Black pudding slice x 4
    Roasted tomatoes x 4

This seems to be a larger breakfast than the one described by Techy_1 (the post I quoted above).

Value: considering that Charlesland is only a short drive from Greystones (a particularly affluent area), the size of the portion & the quality of the food I feel it was very good.

Were you asked how you wanted your eggs? Not keen on fried egg but love poached or scrambled. I know pebbles ask every time you order breakfast.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Jimjay wrote: »
    Were you asked how you wanted your eggs? Not keen on fried egg but love poached or scrambled. I know pebbles ask every time you order breakfast.

I was asked if I wanted fried or scrambled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Sausage x 2
    Bacon x 2
    Fried egg x 2
    Black pudding slice x 4
    Roasted tomatoes x 4

Perhaps they are reading this thread and responding by increasing the portion size. Either way I would now be encouraged to give it a try.Might even be giving free coffee refills by then .:)

Cerco wrote: »
    Perhaps they are reading this thread and responding by increasing the portion size.

That is what I was thinking. So far this thread has over 12,000 hits. I am sure it has been mentioned more than once to the management.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

I'm delighted to hear such good feedback and thanks for those that posted! Still over my budget but it sounds like a good feed.

FirstIn did you tell them the coffee was horrible? I realised in the past I would not hesitate to complain about food but never coffee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Zoe zebra

So far this thread has over 12,000 hits./quote]

Surely it is unfair that people are leveling so much criticism at a new business on this thread? No other local cafe or restaurant is being criticised like this!

By the way I am not affiliated with Homans in any way and have never even dined in the Homans on the main street so I have no agenda here. However I am delighted that a new cafe has opened in Charlesland in an otherwise empty unit and would love to see them make a success of it as I was very fond of the old Cafe del Fiore and their fab BLTs. I think Homans will provide a great focal point for Charlesland residents and it makes a welcome addition to the area given that there are so many empty units.

I have only had a scone there so far and it was very nice so I'd be happy to visit again to try something else. Unfortunately there's some quite unconstructive feedback on this thread which might deter other people from visiting and making up their own minds.

If Homans are reading this it would be great to have a menu in the window (maybe there is one there and I didn't notice?) or on the table as I always feel pressurised into choosing something quickly if I'm standing at a counter and someone's waiting for my order. Best of luck with the new business.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Zoe zebra wrote: »
    So far this thread has over 12,000 hits.

Surely it is unfair that people are leveling so much criticism at a new business on this thread? No other local cafe or restaurant is being criticised like this!

By the way I am not affiliated with Homans in any way and have never even dined in the Homans on the main street so I have no agenda here. However I am delighted that a new cafe has opened in Charlesland in an otherwise empty unit and would love to see them make a success of it as I was very fond of the old Cafe del Fiore and their fab BLTs. I think Homans will provide a great focal point for Charlesland residents and it makes a welcome addition to the area given that there are so many empty units.

I have only had a scone there so far and it was very nice so I'd be happy to visit again to try something else. Unfortunately there's some quite unconstructive feedback on this thread which might deter other people from visiting and making up their own minds.

If Homans are reading this it would be great to have a menu in the window (maybe there is one there and I didn't notice?) or on the table as I always feel pressurised into choosing something quickly if I'm standing at a counter and someone's waiting for my order. Best of luck with the new business.

There is a fine balance now. Wasn't the case at the start but has got much better now.
    I see your point about negative feedback but people are entitled to their own views.
    Personally, I will check it out for myself rather than listening to what others have to say as we all have different tastes and opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Threads such as this IMO can be more destructive than anything. Anyway,
    I have only gone in for an americano and a capocinno , for the poster who said the coffee wasn't good I can't agree.
    I would be a huge coffee nerd and this is good coffee, if the poster wasn't happy they need to say it, try another cup and compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Threads such as this IMO can be more destructive than anything. Anyway,
    I have only gone in for an americano and a capocinno , for the poster who said the coffee wasn't good I can't agree.
    I would be a huge coffee nerd and this is good coffee, if the poster wasn't happy they need to say it, try another cup and compare.

yes another +1 for the coffee. Im a huge fan compared to some other places. The food selections ( cakes, scones etc.. ) is excellent and it looks really fresh

Well I attempted to go in today, there weren't any free tables inside and was a bit cold to sit outside. Its good for them if they are busy but it seemed not very buggy/kid friendly, tables are very tight together so unless u are sitting at the front you wouldn't manoeuvre a buggy around. Also there wasn't a menu in sight, I would have liked to have a quick look, putting one in the window would be a good idea. I heard someone in Supervalu saying some staff went in and thought they were a rip off. I hope they aren't just catering to working professionals because when the novelty of a new place wears off they may want the trade of parents and kids.

One of the chalk boards outside has 'buggy parking' with an arrow below pointing downwards. They want you to keep your buggy outside. You might have a sleeping child in the buggy and not want to leave them outside - best leave them in the car with the window slightly open and a bowl of water :p I jest of course!

astrofluff wrote: »
    One of the chalk boards outside has 'buggy parking' with an arrow below pointing downwards. They want you to keep your buggy outside. You might have a sleeping child in the buggy and not want to leave them outside - best leave them in the car with the window slightly open and a bowl of water :p I jest of course!

I didn't see that but yes the baby was asleep so that wouldn't have helped. I'm getting the distinct impression babies/toddlers are not that welcome or only welcome if you sit outside in the cold.

• Advertisement

I haven't been in yet to see how they have set it up. If they have saturated the space to get max number of tables, then I would see that as their way of getting the most from the peak-time trade. There should be enough space in any newly design commercial premises since 1997 to cater for disabled access, this kinda doubles as an access for buggies. So reasonably wide routes to serving point, WCs etc should be present along with adequate space for maneuvering a wheelchair at some of the tables. If not, then I would take it they are not interested in a 15% potential increase in business where promoted as an accessible restaurant/café.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 40issporty

I didn't see that but yes the baby was asleep so that wouldn't have helped. I'm getting the distinct impression babies/toddlers are not that welcome or only welcome if you sit outside in the cold.

It's a v good point however must post to all that for the toddlers that are awake I was pleasantly surprised on our first trip today to find a small play area inside. Found coffee and cake reasonable and was nice to hear a retired couple beside me speak to what I guess was the owner about the history of her family from killiney and their tea rooms . I saw sign also that they will be opening evenings ahead of Xmas
    P s forgot why I'm on this anyone know good plumber in charlesland thx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

40issporty wrote: »
    It's a v good point however must post to all that for the toddlers that are awake I was pleasantly surprised on our first trip today to find a small play area inside. Found coffee and cake reasonable and was nice to hear a retired couple beside me speak to what I guess was the owner about the history of her family from killiney and their tea rooms . I saw sign also that they will be opening evenings ahead of Xmas
    P s forgot why I'm on this anyone know good plumber in charlesland thx
    Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I have read this thread from the beginning and I'm am utterly dismayed.
    How stupid do people have to be to form an opinion on a place without ever setting foot in the place!
    The place seems to be child friendly and buggy parking means just that, parking....like do you want to take your car inside also.
    Saying coffee is ****? Do you mean you personally didn't like it?
    Feedback is important to any new business, bitching on forums is not.
    It's a new business people, in a tricky economy, support it and be great full someone had the balls to open it.

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    I have read this thread from the beginning and I'm am utterly dismayed.
    How stupid do people have to be to form an opinion on a place without ever setting foot in the place!
    The place seems to be child friendly and buggy parking means just that, parking....like do you want to take your car inside also.
    Saying coffee is ****? Do you mean you personally didn't like it?
    Feedback is important to any new business, bitching on forums is not.
    It's a new business people, in a tricky economy, support it and be great full someone had the balls to open it.

Hmm well if your baby is asleep you can't park it outside or if your baby is awake and too young to sit up on their own to use a high chair, are you supposed to have them sit in ur arms while you try drink a hot coffee? Comparing a buggy to a car is so ridiculous, I'm assuming you don't have kids to come out with comments like that.

And to add obviously it's not homans fault the design of the building, the downstairs is small so is not buggy friendly, I'm just pointing that out. I'm not sure if there are tables upstairs, I didn't see any but a good idea would be to have them and then the downstairs could have the little play area and a bit more more space to appeal to the many parents in the area, the upstairs can be a quieter area that could appeal to those without kids, win for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Just assume I know what in talking about.
    I was typing a reply to your point but then deleted it as I think it would be lost.

Hmm well if your baby is asleep you can't park it outside or if your baby is awake and too young to sit up on their own to use a high chair, are you supposed to have them sit in ur arms while you try drink a hot coffee? Comparing a buggy to a car is so ridiculous, I'm assuming you don't have kids to come out with comments like that.

Not sure why I'm getting emails on every post now on this forum
    ...but just to ad to yesterday there was also a buggy inside with newborn snug as a bug etc I think room upstairs also ? have to kind of agree with all the positives posted that it's great to have an option now on the door step,be it for a coffee and chill or tasty grub , was thinkibg also venue is going to be inviting at night time IMHO for vino and bites, extra glass of vino for me please instead of taxi from gstones:-)

Thxs to many pm s re plumbing Got sorted late late last night

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Just assume I know what in talking about.
    I was typing a reply to your point but then deleted it as I think it would be lost.

No probs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

40issporty wrote: »
    Not sure why I'm getting emails on every post now on this forum

Go into your profile and change notification settings to stop emails
    "Default Thread Subscription Mode
    When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to My Threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.
    Do not follow No email notification Instant email notification Daily email notification Weekly email notification"

• Advertisement

It would seem to me that you have come to the conclusion that using the buggy parking facility is mandatory for all of those with a buggy.
    Have I interpreted you correctly?
    If so what made you arrive to this conclusion?
    If not what is the issue?

Advertisement