Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cafe da Fiore aka Homans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    How stupid do people have to be to form an opinion on a place without ever setting foot in the place!

You've never read a menu posted outside a restaurant? There's no difference between that and hearing that a breakfast costs 12e without having been there.

But, of course, I should just assume you know what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

You've never read a menu posted outside a restaurant? There's no difference between that and hearing that a breakfast costs 12e without having been there.

But, of course, I should just assume you know what you're talking about.

There is a difference. Standing outside a restaurant alerts all Senses allowing you to decide if it is worth the price or not. Reading a forum dosnt.
    The buggy issue is obvious to anyone with any cop-on.
    The place has a kids play area.....do we need to ask if kids are welcome or not?

I just want to wish them well and every success.

Ps. Decades of running sucessful restaurants allows me to say I know what I'm talking about. Sorry if it sounded obnoxious. The public in general can be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

I have read this thread from the beginning and I'm am utterly dismayed.
    How stupid do people have to be to form an opinion on a place without ever setting foot in the place!
    The place seems to be child friendly and buggy parking means just that, parking....like do you want to take your car inside also.
    Saying coffee is ****? Do you mean you personally didn't like it?
    Feedback is important to any new business, bitching on forums is not.
    It's a new business people, in a tricky economy, support it and be great full someone had the balls to open it.
    I can view a photo of a breakfast and form an opinion as to whether it is overpriced or not. If you cannot perhaps you are in the wrong business.
    Feedback from every quarter is welcome to the astute business person.
    A new business should be open to positive and negative critique.
    It seems that Homans are responding to the criticism, so we'll done to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Ps. Decades of running sucessful restaurants allows me to say I know what I'm talking about. Sorry if it sounded obnoxious. The public in general can be difficult.

It did sound obnoxious but you recovered really gracefully. The general public are back in our box.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 40issporty

Cerco wrote: »
    I can view a photo of a breakfast and form an opinion as to whether it is overpriced or not. If you cannot perhaps you are in the wrong business.
    Feedback from every quarter is welcome to the astute business person.
    A new business should be open to positive and negative critique.
    It seems that Homans are responding to the criticism, so we'll done to them.

I thought they only opened middle of last week though IMHO would imagine owner would be quite busy focusing on get Up and running and finding feet etc if I was in their shoes seeing the effort (my single visit) they have put in there , would there not be more important matters than changing their model after less than a week based on a blog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Was in there for lunch today. One word - fantastic.

Nice range of offerings with a range of prices.
    Food was very tasty - extremely so.
    Plenty of space to sit, not cramped at all.
    Very clean. Staff were very friendly.

Will definitely be going back. Might not have the full breakfast at 12E but loads more to choose from for example some of the cakes ;)

Great to see another option in the area with tasty food, decent coffee and friendly welcoming staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Had lunch, very nice. Keep up the good work.

Here is what the coronation chicken sandwich looks like for €7. Very reasonable.

2jcdedy.jpg

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

astrofluff wrote: »

Here is what the coronation chicken sandwich looks like for €7. Very reasonable.

2jcdedy.jpg

All the sanwiches are great. 5€ for take out but you dont get that extra stuff. Much prefer them to the supervalu deli in standard rolls for about the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Gargamello

When's the wine bar opening up?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Does nobody cook and eat at home any more?.. Well over a hundred posts and climbing, on mostly the price of a cafe breakfast... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    Does nobody cook and eat at home any more?.. Well over a hundred posts and climbing, on mostly the price of a cafe breakfast... :confused:

It's Greystones...of course not.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Does nobody cook and eat at home any more?

My butler Jeeves prepares all of my meals, does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Of course they do but most people don't have time in the mornings to make themselves a cooked breakfast - when the time comes to have a treat like a cafe breakfast, people want to make sure they are getting their money's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Rasmus wrote: »
    Of course they do but most people don't have time in the mornings to make themselves a cooked breakfast - when the time comes to have a treat like a cafe breakfast, people want to make sure they are getting their money's worth.

For most people that want cooked breakfast, it seems to be a Saturday. Surely people have time? Personally I think it's just the Greystones mindset. Why cook at home if you can pay extortionate price's and eat out.

When I eat out, I like to order something that I can't cook myself or I haven't tried before.

I cook breakfast every weekend for 4, for a fraction of the cost.
    And it's delicious, nowhere beats my own breakfast.

ellejay wrote: »
    For most people that want cooked breakfast, it seems to be a Saturday. Surely people have time? Personally I think it's just the Greystones mindset. Why cook at home if you can pay extortionate price's and eat out.

When I eat out, I like to order something that I can't cook myself or I haven't tried before.

Eating out is the exception rather than the rule - as illustrated above you can make breakfast for a fraction of the cost. It's a bit unrealistic to say that nobody cooks at home just because there is a long thread discussing the price of this exception.

Rasmus wrote: »
    Eating out is the exception rather than the rule - as illustrated above you can make breakfast for a fraction of the cost. It's a bit unrealistic to say that nobody cooks at home just because there is a long thread discussing the price of this exception.

Sorry Ramus
    But I would disagree with you.
    From my experience, the exception is to cook at home.

Sorry Ramus

Fair enough. I eat at home more often than eating out. However I indeed agree that cooking breakfast for a family is better value and nicer than going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭oinkely

astrofluff wrote: »

2jcdedy.jpg

That sandwich looks great, I would eat that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

You think? Well, you should see the one I'm eating at the moment..and I made it myself..:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

e.

Do you take bookings?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You think? Well, you should see the one I'm eating at the moment..and I made it myself..:cool:

How much for s €12 breakfast???:D

(Don't say €12)

Do you take bookings?

no problem!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Right ok. You've just proved your own silly stereotype wrong.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Sorry Ramus

Seriously? The entire population of Greystones eats out on a regular basis?

Sorry but is actually laughable. There are many people living in this town who don't eat out regularly and cant afford to do so.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I would consider myself in the minority actually.

I definitely wouldn't sat, and didn't say, the entire population of Greystones eat out.
    Most of the people I know eat out at least 2/ 3 times a week.
    How they can afford it is unknown to me.

They are the the very people that go out and order sausages and mashed potato and pay anything up to 18.00 for it.
    Stick the words handmade or gourmet in front of a product and people lap it up.

Anyway, best of luck to them

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

I definitely wouldn't sat, and didn't say, the entire population of Greystones eat out.

They are the the very people that go out and order sausages and mashed potato and pay anything up to 18.00 for it.

I am puzzled by the amount of restaurants and have posted such comments before but I don't think most people are eating out that much.

Slightly off topic but when I posted how I was a bit down about living in the area a Boards poster messaged me and offered to pay for my NCT fee as he realised I was skint. A complete stranger who I had no interaction with. There are lots of people here who are kind, generous and would not buy into pretentious pricing. I won't ever forget it.

And when I was in my 20's with cash and no kids I would eat brekkie out. With family come many changes such as enjoying food together at home. You are at that stage. There are plenty of young people nursing hangovers that will love a brunch out.

In the minority of your group of friends maybe. I think its a silly stereotype to suggest the majority of Greystones people eat out regularly.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

I had the small breakfast this morning. Have to say it was great, wife had a scone and the kids had some sausage sandwiches . Place was busy but the service level didn't suffer for it.

Overall . Well done Homans.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

I eat out a lot in Greystones. Having been to Homans Kitchen cafe about six times since they opened I am very happy with the product they are providing. The quality of what goes on the plate is very high.
    Some things I have noticed over the last weeks which, if addressed, would greatly improve the experience are:

The plates need to be hot, they are not, and the food needs to be kept under hot lamps before the waiter comes to take it away.

The microscopic amount of butter for the very generous portion of toast is exasperating. Fill the ramekins!!!

Salt, pepper and sugar sets. You don't have enough for all the tables. A trip to Heatons will sort it out.

These are not criticisms but tips from some one who has worked in hospitality for over twenty years.

Good luck to Homans. I think they will be a great success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

conlof wrote: »
    I eat out a lot in Greystones. Having been to Homans Kitchen cafe about six times since they opened I am very happy with the product they are providing. The quality of what goes on the plate is very high.
    Some things I have noticed over the last weeks which, if addressed, would greatly improve the experience are:

The plates need to be hot, they are not, and the food needs to be kept under hot lamps before the waiter comes to take it away.

The microscopic amount of butter for the very generous portion of toast is exasperating. Fill the ramekins!!!

Salt, pepper and sugar sets. You don't have enough for all the tables. A trip to Heatons will sort it out.

These are not criticisms but tips from some one who has worked in hospitality for over twenty years.

Good luck to Homans. I think they will be a great success.

Agree to all those points. More butter please.
    Tried the small breakfast. Was very good and asked for poached eggs instead of scrambled which was no problem and got two.
    When i was getting take out there was a plate of hot food on the counter for the whole time i was there waiting for a sandwich to be wrapped and a coffee to be made. Probably not hot when it was eventually taken to the table.

Advertisement