Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cafe da Fiore aka Homans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Last Out

I enjoyed my delicious salad today and well done to really friendly staff!

Definitely coming back again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

Jimjay wrote: »
    Agree to all those points. More butter please.
    Tried the small breakfast. Was very good and asked for poached eggs instead of scrambled which was no problem and got two.
    When i was getting take out there was a plate of hot food on the counter for the whole time i was there waiting for a sandwich to be wrapped and a coffee to be made. Probably not hot when it was eventually taken to the table.

Hi Jimjay, how much is the small breakfast and, what's included? Do they not have a web presence?!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Honestly! wrote: »
    Hi Jimjay, how much is the small breakfast and, what's included? Do they not have a web presence?!

Facebook page

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Honestly! wrote: »

"There is another smaller breakfast for €6 which I think is very good value."

From post 88 in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

Went down with a friend the other day just for a coffee. We were very impressed by the place and the friendly service we got. I'll definitely be back. Great to have a café in Charlesland. I wish the management every success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

We were going to head up to the village last night, which would have involved driving, but we decided to walk to Homan's Kitchen Cafe to enjoy a car-free evening out where both of us could enjoy a bottle of wine.

It was a fantastic evening for us all. The missus and I enjoyed a complimentary Christmas Prosecco on arriving. Kids enjoyed the small play area - that kept them entertained for the whole evening, before and after dinner.

I ordered the burger which is made to order, so waiting wasn't an issue when you have a nice bottle of wine to enjoy. During this time we were served a selection of breads with dips (olive oil with balsamic, pesto, tapenade and hummus). Breads were warmed before serving, dips were fantastic, especially the tapenade!

When the burger arrived, it was a beast of a burger, topped with onion rings and with a cup of fries on the side. A small pot of horseradish (subtly mild) accompanied it which was delicious on the burger as well as a dip for the fries/onion rings. The missus had the pasta ravioli with a sauce I just couldn't describe when I sampled it - very nice! She really enjoyed her dish as I did mine.

They offered a choice of two different free dishes for the kids - there are other dishes available for the kids but you'll have pay as normal :). This is a nice touch IMO.

At the end, we were treated to an espresso, a shot of Bailey's and scoop of vanilla ice-cream all at once. You just had to decide which you wanted to mix or taste separately! It really topped off the evening nicely. The service was superb as always.

Although the menu for dinner might have few dishes, I do think there's something for most people if not everyone. Last night was not too busy, in fact, I don't think it either being busy or too quiet will effect the atmosphere in the evening time. I would definitely recommend trying the evening dinner. And I would like to see this being available for as long as possible as an alternative to dining out in Greystones village.

Well done to all in Homan's for making it a fantastic addition to Charlesland.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 40issporty

I had a similar experience the weekend before with 2 friends Fab vino , Chilled out vibe,upstairs , with great tunes playing . Food was quite simply amazing , service spot on ...Even was offered a lift home or to Greystones by the manager ..,. it's turning out to be a right little gem ....Cheapest night out by far in ages too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Great review Astro.

If they have a spot on TripAdvisor, you should put it up there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

I really like this place, good breakfast , good coffee, sambos for lunch are fab.

The blonde haired guy is excellent as are most of the staff. <<<snip>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Dude, you should edit that out, its not really fair on the girl to get a public comment like that.

• Advertisement

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    Dude, you should edit that out, its not really fair on the girl to get a public comment like that.

Fair point <<SNIP>>

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Maybe there is an excuse for it. You don't know what's going on with people.

Folks in the service industry have good days and bad just like we all do. Get over yourself dude.

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    Maybe there is an excuse for it. You don't know what's going on with people.

Folks in the service industry have good days and bad just like we all do. Get over yourself dude.
    If it was once I would agree with you but it wasn't so I believe the comment was fair.
    Some people are suited to the service industry and some are not,end of....dude

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Right, that's enough thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 40issporty

<<<snip>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭nickhx

Closed apparently

I'm sick over this,I used it about 3 times a week,great spot for a cappuccino and a breckie followed by a relaxing read upstairs.
    coronation chicken samba was hard to beat also,all I can say is at least I know I gave it good support.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This is disappointing.
    Sad to see it go.

I think that this complex is a difficult location for any business.
    Supervalu is an anchor tenant that few (in my opinion) would use regularly for their main weekly shop with Aldi, Lydl and Tescos a short drive away.
    If I am looking for a cafe I prefer the "Greystones experience" even though I really enjoyed this particular cafe.

I liked the staff, food and felt that it represented value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I think it did reasonably well custom-wise. We didn't accept the outlandish price on the brekki when it first opened and they adjusted to what people wanted. It was working well, but if my sources are correct it's the rent which is a killer. That's why the Chinese & dry-cleaners and previous cafe couldn't keep going. It's also why the pub & restaurant have never opened. Landlords are living in the clouds.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah the rent is huge in those units

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

astrofluff wrote: »
    I think it did reasonably well custom-wise. We didn't accept the outlandish price on the brekki when it first opened and they adjusted to what people wanted. It was working well, but if my sources are correct it's the rent which is a killer. That's why the Chinese & dry-cleaners and previous cafe couldn't keep going. It's also why the pub & restaurant have never opened. Landlords are living in the clouds.

Pure greed imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

LEIN wrote: »
    Pure greed imo.

hard to see how its simple greed if they're willing to let units sit empty earning nothing for years rather than let them out at a reduced rate. I assume theres some contractual/accounting voodoo behind this skewed logic but I'm not an expert on property investment so I don't know what it is.

loyatemu wrote: »
    hard to see how its simple greed if they're willing to let units sit empty earning nothing for years rather than let them out at a reduced rate. I assume theres some contractual/accounting voodoo behind this skewed logic but I'm not an expert on property investment so I don't know what it is.

Well that's a very valid point also.

The takeaway, if run properly would be a gold mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Is the creche owned by the same landlords? Closing also due to rents. But I heard might be taken over by a new owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Langerland wrote: »
    Is the creche owned by the same landlords? Closing also due to rents. But I heard might be taken over by a new owner.
    It is being taken over. It's a crèche in NTMK that's taking it on - staff have to reinterview, I've been told.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Aronaay

As far as I'm aware it is owned by the same company and it is because of rent. And yes someone else has taken over the lease. The owners have an outlandish valuation on both the rental and sale of the properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Aronaay

Eponymous wrote: »
    It is being taken over. It's a crèche in NTMK that's taking it on - staff have to reinterview, I've been told.

The reinterview is a regulation thing for childcare

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Location, location, location.

High rents obviously don't help but if a business has enough footfall they will survive regardless.

The problem with these units is that they are overly reliant on Charlesland trade which despite the number of homes, just isn't enough to sustain a viable business.

You would need to draw custom from Kilcoole, Delgany and Greystones and for that you need to offer something special in either quality or price.

People won't go out of their way without a significant draw.

While this cafe was good, it wasn't anything special and speaking for myself, there's no way I would drive to Charlesland when I can get the same or better quality and value on Greystones Main St.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Doesn't it seem strange that the businesses in Charlesland suffer yet only up the road in Eden Gate, they seem to do better.

Ricardos pizza does great business for instance. What are they doing different than others ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

They offer GREAT food at BRILLIANT prices....and have great service

Advertisement