Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

components of a gps reciever and manafacturing costs

Options
  • 13-09-2009 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hello,

I am a student doing a project and I need to find out what items are contained in GPS reciever,I also need to put a price on these items and where they can be sourced.

Also,if any of you know how much does it cost to manafacture a gps reciever,for instance in a mobile phone.

Hope that you can help,thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Are they still teaching students how to reinvent the wheel?

GPS receivers come in all shapes and sizes,
    from bulky to tiny.

Nobody needs to assemble one themselves,
    become familiar with the term "COTS..."

For what it is worth, some makers, e.g. SIRF have a single chip design.
    Google for "SiRFstar III receiver and integrated antenna from UK company Antenova."

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rocky2

Hello T - Square,

thank you for reply.Would you know by any chance who has developed 'the' smallest GPS reciever, and any idea how much these cost to manafacture ,even a ballpark figure.

Thank you ,I will have more questions soon,please be patient as I do not have much knowledge about technolgy, as you have probably guessed.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

rocky2 wrote: »
    Hello T - Square,

thank you for reply.Would you know by any chance who has developed 'the' smallest GPS reciever, and any idea how much these cost to manafacture ,even a ballpark figure.

Thank you ,I will have more questions soon,please be patient as I do not have much knowledge about technolgy, as you have probably guessed.

Thank you

Google is your friend

• Registered Users Posts: 83,355 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the secret of the receiver is a small antenae that works on the principal of Fractal
    Geometry in order to capture larger broadband wavelengths on a much narrower receiver. again, google is your friend. pbs had a great docu about it though. you may have seen a similar design if you had ever taken apart a mobile phone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal_antenna

Advertisement