Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help and advice with a custody case

Options
  • 13-09-2009 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

I have a friend who has gone through a breakup. She is not married to the ex. They live in England at the moment.

Basically the ex has taken the child to another part of the country with her consent and with the naive understanding that the child would be brought back (very young couple). Despite initially expressing that he wanted to talk and work things out, the guy has now decided to keep the child and instigate a court case for custody and is demanding (via legal papers) that the Mother travels across the country to appear at a court hearing to fight this case.

From what I know this couple are not married and are going through a typical breakup where a child is involved. The difference is that the mother is quite young and inexperienced and is in need of advice.

I know that she is sound and capable and is possibly being intimidated by the legal process. I am trying to gather some sound advice to offer her in this case at the moment.

Can anyone here offer any help on this situation? I think she will win the case and be ok if it comes to it but at the same time because of the young age that she at then this is a new and intimidating process to go through for her.

I would appreciate any and all advice / questions offered on this case from anyone here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

We can't allow any thing which resembles legal advice on the site, anything which does will be deleted and we will have to lock the thread hopefully that will not happen.

You friend should find out what the law is in the country the child is in and get advice there and also look at getting legal advice here to see about the possibility of having an order made for the father to produce the child here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

Your poor friend, sounds like a mess. Is the dad a guardian of the child, listed as the father on the childs birth cert ? Is the court case about granting him guardianship ? Is he presently denying your friend access to see her child or does she even know where they are staying?
    I think your friend needs solid legal advice on this one.

Advertisement