Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colour difference between flickr & pix.ie

• 13-09-2009 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

Maybe, this is old ground.....but has anybody else noticed the difference between the same photo uploaded to both flickr and pix.ie?

I only recently joined pix.ie as a trail for their handy 800px size option for the random thread. However i uploaded the same file to both sites this evening and the pix.ie version is definitely duller.

Below are the 500px size pics from both sites, that were both uploaded simultaneously. The flickr version is what i had in CS3 on my laptop

Flickr
    3916215869_44acfa17e3.jpg

Pix.ie
    3CC47AFF7B0D47C8A4D1ED8B5B0E247D-500.jpg

(The pic is a bit of a cliché at this stage - but i wanted one i took myself :D)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

is it just me, or is the flickr version slightly more saturated? maybe just a tinge.....

or maybe i'm just thinking that.........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Yeah I'v found this too, pictures seem washed out when uploaded from pix.ie. Is it something to do with reducing the quality of the images when uploading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Heres one of mine, don't really notice much differance, with the screen viewing angle its tricky to judge (why i needed them beside and under)

I think there might be a certain amount of sharpening done when the images are resized, which could effect the look slightly

maybe flickr tiny bit darker?

edit: not using adobe rgb so that explain why I dont see it in my pics

flickr & pixie
    3876660518_319aedf7ce.jpg3D3AF3A4F5FC4303996F719F10F135F8-500.jpg
    3D3AF3A4F5FC4303996F719F10F135F8-500.jpg3876660518_319aedf7ce.jpg
    pixie & flickr

Yeah I'v found this too, pictures seem washed out when uploaded from pix.ie. Is it something to do with reducing the quality of the images when uploading?

Pix.ie don't compress or change the original size file, but when resizing to produce the smaller sizes, there could be some slight change due to the resize method

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Most likely a colour space issue, there was a long thread started by Ballyman a while ago about this. You might find that the fullsize original image on pix is as you intended, pix.ie strips colour space info from the resized images, flickr doesn't. Am i right in assuming that the image in PS on your PC is adobe RGB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Is there a way to solve this though? Ever since I started using pixie I've noticed a difference in how my photos look on my hard drive and in a web browser. I didn't when I used flickr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I really like pix and would use it a lot more than I do if it didn't de-saturate my pictures to the point of frustration.

At the moment I've a Flickr pro account and cannot complain whatsoever, but would gladly pay for a similar account on pix if it just stopped doing it.

Is there a way to solve this though? Ever since I started using pixie I've noticed a difference in how my photos look on my hard drive and in a web browser. I didn't when I used flickr.

If you upload using sRGB there should be no difference.
    Rb wrote: »
    I really like pix and would use it a lot more than I do if it didn't de-saturate my pictures to the point of frustration.

At the moment I've a Flickr pro account and cannot complain whatsoever, but would gladly pay for a similar account on pix if it just stopped doing it.

They have their own forum here on boards, pop over there and bring it to their attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Marcus

Maybe, this is old ground.....but has anybody else noticed the difference between the same photo uploaded to both flickr and pix.ie?

Hi, yes this is old ground :) and has been discussed many times before...

In short, Pixie only supports the sRGB colour space. WHY? Because this is the only consistent colour space for use on the web. Other colour spaces Abode98 etc are only rendered properly on Safari and on Firefox if you have specifically configured it. Internet Explorer does not support any other colour space at all.

So although you might be seeing a difference in the above two images, my view of them and 95% of Pixie visitors see two identical images and not the colours you intended...

So even if we added support for it, it would only be you (and others on the specific browsers) that would see the correct colours.

Always ensure you use the sRGB colour space for publishing photos on the web.

Marcus

I only recently joined pix.ie as a trail for their handy 800px size option for the random thread. However i uploaded the same file to both sites this evening and the pix.ie version is definitely duller.

Below are the 500px size pics from both sites, that were both uploaded simultaneously. The flickr version is what i had in CS3 on my laptop

(The pic is a bit of a cliché at this stage - but i wanted one i took myself :D)

BTW - On my browser at least I see exactly the same difference in the originals of those photos. What I see is that the Pixie version is very slightly lighter. The shadow detail in the tree on he Flickr version is lost.

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/longshanks100/3916215869/sizes/o/
    Pixie: http://pix.ie/longshanks100/1219720/size/0

Scroll over to the top right hand side

• Advertisement

Heres one of mine, don't really notice much differance, with the screen viewing angle its tricky to judge (why i needed them beside and under)

I think there might be a certain amount of sharpening done when the images are resized, which could effect the look slightly

maybe flickr tiny bit darker?
    Flickr apply more sharpening than Pixie and hence contrast on Flickr shots is bumped up slightly.
    Our approach was to ensure the closest possible match to the original and hence our sharpening is applied for correcting blur introduced during downsizing only. If you wanted the shots more contrasty, we felt the photographer would have applied it themselves... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Marcus, thanks for that explanation. Its kinda makes sense to me now. Im on a mac and the image in both CS3 and safari is identical to me. Its when I look at the pix.ie is seems to be lighter.
    However I’ve no idea what colour space im using – but it obviously mustn’t be sRGB. I’ll look into it later.

….but if i figure this out and set my next picture for sRGB, will the same picture then appear over saturated when loaded to flickr?

….but if i figure this out and set my next picture for sRGB, will the same picture then appear over saturated when loaded to flickr?
    No it should display perfectly on all web sites and all browsers... (in theory anyway :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

When you do a "Save As" from PShop, there's an option in the JPEG dialog box to "embed color profile", if this says sRGB with some stuff after it, then you're laughing, otherwise you'll have to "Convert to profile" under the "Edit" menu to turn your image into the sRGB space, and then save ...

By the way, flickr's downsizing applies more sharpening than I care for. I suppose each to their own, not sure if either Pixie or flickr have their own bespoke downsizing engines ...

h

Hugh_C wrote: »
    By the way, flickr's downsizing applies more sharpening than I care for. I suppose each to their own, not sure if either Pixie or flickr have their own bespoke downsizing engines ...
    We wrote our own "downsizing engine"... :)

Maybe this is going off topic, but what colour space do people work in? Im only after discovering that there are 3(?).
    Should you save to a different one for uploaded to the net when compared to printing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

In short, Pixie only supports the sRGB colour space. WHY? Because this is the only consistent colour space for use on the web. Other colour spaces Abode98 etc are only rendered properly on Safari and on Firefox if you have specifically configured it. Internet Explorer does not support any other colour space at all.

So although you might be seeing a difference in the above two images, my view of them and 95% of Pixie visitors see two identical images and not the colours you intended...

Marcus

So is it best to use IE ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

I know Marcus has already responded to it here, but this thread should probably be moved to the dedicated pixie zone in Biz...Talk To...Pix.ie.

Chorcai wrote: »

Nope. But lots of people do, so uploading images saved with sRGB means more people see the right colours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Thank you for the reply Marcus, will look into the colour profile I've been using.

Surprised that so many people are still using IE though!

• Advertisement

Chorcai wrote: »
    Watch out - you might get lynched for that question :eek:
    Thank you for the reply Marcus, will look into the colour profile I've been using.
    Surprised that so many people are still using IE though!
    45% of Pixie users are on IE. Sad I know, but the harsh reality...

Hugh_C wrote: »
    When you do a "Save As" from PShop, there's an option in the JPEG dialog box to "embed color profile", if this says sRGB with some stuff after it, then you're laughing, otherwise you'll have to "Convert to profile" under the "Edit" menu to turn your image into the sRGB space, and then save ...

h
    Is there anyway to check what colour profile was selected when a pic previously saved?
    I tried the above and this is the screen i get presented with. As soon as i seen it i recoginised the RGB option box already ticked. Its always been this way.....so im 99.99% sure the same pic uploaded to both sites used RGB.

screenshot20090914at203.png

Is there anyway to check what colour profile was selected when a pic previously saved?
    I tried the above and this is the screen i get presented with. As soon as i seen it i recoginised the RGB option box already ticked. Its always been this way.....so im 99.99% sure the same pic uploaded to both sites used RGB.

[IMG*]http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/828/screenshot20090914at203.png[/IMG]

Yes but you need to be using sRGB not adobeRGB, you need to look at Hugh C's post in this thread to see how to get there.

Advertisement